X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

HD DVD and Blue-ray content to be downrezed for analog displays

If this article is correct, it looks like bad news for anyone hoping to get high def over component inputs.

My Homepage!
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

The trick is: it's up to the studios to decide if the content will be downrezzed or not.

There is a flag in the player and if it's set to yes by the disc then it will downrezz, if the flag is no, then it won't.

That said Fox, Paramount and Disney are all wanting to set the flag to yes. Warner is the only one I know of that doesn't support it.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Well, when Warner's discs sell a lot more than Fox, Paramount and Disney's, maybe they'll get a clue.

In the meantime, someone will develop a workaround, legal or not.

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

In the meantime, someone will develop a workaround, legal or not.
        The work around is not necessarily possible given how they implemented ICT in these future players. It's all tied to a key and that key can be revoked.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Anything that can be done by technology, can be undone by technology.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I think Thomas...maybe Jon... already mentioned a work around...:lol:
            Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

It's called an external adaptor.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                It's called an external adaptor.
                That'd be the one :rofl:
                Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I don't know why studios are so worried about pirates and hi-def. Those folks buying pirated vids ( probably shot with a camcorder in a theater) could care less about quality. I think what they are really worried about is HT afficiendos like us who may rent and copy rather than buy. Hell, if prices are kept reasonable, why bother to copy anyway ?
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• caleb
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    I don't know why studios are so worried about pirates and hi-def. Those folks buying pirated vids ( probably shot with a camcorder in a theater) could care less about quality. I think what they are really worried about is HT afficiendos like us who may rent and copy rather than buy. Hell, if prices are kept reasonable, why bother to copy anyway ?
                    Never a truer word spoken George!

Over here we get ripped off by the greedy film distibutors that:

A) Keep you waiting for months after the official DVD release elsewhere.

For example Hitch hikers guide was released in the cinemas in Europe FOUR MONTHS before we got it here.

B) Charge a bloody fortune for the DVDs, some of which are of dubious quality.

If you got rid of A & B - then why copy?

I have absolutely no qualms about copying or getting pirates.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

Hell, if prices are kept reasonable, why bother to copy anyway ?
                      Because free is much better than paying real money for something. People can be very cheap.

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

It's not piracy they're trying to combat, that's just a cover story. They're trying to gain absolute control over what, when, and how you can view their content. They can specify whether you can time-shift that movie on HBO, how long you can keep it once you've recorded it, and what type of TV you can watch that HD-DVD on. Once they foist that on the unsuspecting public, expect to see a DIVX-like scheme revisited where you pay per each view.

That's why we should fight this tooth and nail. It's not about protection of their IP from piracy--the pirates will copy the stuff no matter what--it's about kissing our fair use goodbye.

What's ironic is, the more restrictions the studios place on legitimate content, the better the pirated versions become. Imagine down the road, being able to buy a fully legal HD-DVD of Star Wars that gets downrezzed on your TV, or download a pirate copy for free that plays in full HD glory. As it is, with CD protection schemes, downloading sometimes gets you a more useful product than if you buy the CD with all the restrictions.

The content owners are shooting themselves in the foot.

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

(sigh) I'm just weary of these types of issues.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
                            It's not piracy they're trying to combat, that's just a cover story. They're trying to gain absolute control over what, when, and how you can view their content. They can specify whether you can time-shift that movie on HBO, how long you can keep it once you've recorded it, and what type of TV you can watch that HD-DVD on. Once they foist that on the unsuspecting public, expect to see a DIVX-like scheme revisited where you pay per each view.

That's why we should fight this tooth and nail. It's not about protection of their IP from piracy--the pirates will copy the stuff no matter what--it's about kissing our fair use goodbye.

What's ironic is, the more restrictions the studios place on legitimate content, the better the pirated versions become. Imagine down the road, being able to buy a fully legal HD-DVD of Star Wars that gets downrezzed on your TV, or download a pirate copy for free that plays in full HD glory. As it is, with CD protection schemes, downloading sometimes gets you a more useful product than if you buy the CD with all the restrictions.

The content owners are shooting themselves in the foot.
                            As much as I don't like the idea of advocating piracy, I totally agree with Kevin. The studios (music and movies) are taking their own bad situations and making them worse. All they're accomplishing is alienating and annoying the people they hope to sell to. That = bad business strategy IMO
                            Jason

Comment

• NMyTree
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P

Exactly!

This has been their goal....their agenda for a very long time. They want us to pay some cash, every time we want to watch one of their movies in our home. They have orgasms over their dreams of a Pay-For-Every-Viewing format, for every one of us that buy the hardcopy of their movies.

I'm of the opinion that ultimately what the "Studios" really want to do, is do away with hardcopies , completely. I think what they want to do is once Hi-Def Digital becomes established as the standard broadcasting format and analog is eliminated completely; they want to establish interactive "Studio" channels where we would have to order viewings of their movies, just like we do today with Pay-Per-View .......with all of our local cable TV providers.

I believe that they believe this approach would eliminate pirating of their movies. As we all know, it's impossible to pirate cable or satelite TV:roll::roll:

Greed, control and power are the motivations for the majority of the Studios.
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"