X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Darkness

Where do I begin? Anna Paquin (Rogue from X-Men) should probably stick to superhero work. IMO, she did a subpar job in this film. Never for a moment was her character believable. But in all fairness, none of the actors seem to show up in this film. A ton of yelling, and not much depth.

The story is based around a secret that the "Darkness" has been holding in the home for several yrs. And this is the first family to live in the home in about 40 yrs.

On top of the acting, my biggest issue with the film was poor writting. I got the feeling that the father in the film was a direct ripoff of Jack's father from "The Shinning". And the mother never seemed surprised or concerned with the events surrounding her son and husband.

There are a few pluses in the film. The formula of old horror films is at work here. The use of the "Darkness' and it's shadows are as good as any film work I've seen. And, it does a wonderful job of blending the right touch of music and sound effects. PQ is good as well as SQ.

In short, it is an entertaining film. Just don't expect more than what a B-movie would offer.

"I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Thanks for the comments, John. I've been wondering about this flick. Every weekend I look at it in the new release section and pass it up. You make it sound interesting enough for a rental so I'll give it a spin.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• NMyTree
      • May 2004

This was a bad movie.

Not as bad as "Alone In The Dark", but BAD nevertheless.

As Mr. Holmes indicated, the acting was subpar. I think distracted seems like a better word for the actors in this movie. It seemed to me each and every actor sleepwalked through their respective roles, and were menatally pre-occupied with either their shopping list for the week, or their "Things To Do List" .

The story is boring, drawn-out and mundane.

While there are some visual and audio coolness involved here, the director dips into the same well......way too many times and it just becomes redundant and boring......because the story basically goes nowhere......for 85 minutes. And when the director finally tries to deliver the goods, the goods are old, stale, boring and I no longer cared what he was delivering. I was just glad it was over.

The mother character in this movie has got to be the worst characterization I have ever seen. Not only is this character unlikeble, but she's the dumbest mother character to ever grace a script.

The only saving grace of this movie was Anna Paquin in a pair of relatively tight sweatpants, which gave me a nice view of her wonderfully pleasant booty. :B :B

If it wasn't for that fine booty gracing my screen every so often through out this movie, I would have had absolutely no interest in sitting through this mess.

Just my Opinion.
      Tony

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"