• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

House of Flying Daggers

Rented It.

Right on par with "Hero", not quite as good as "CTHD" though.

The colors and cinematography are beautiful. Drama is that of your typical Kung Fu film. I enjoyed it and plan on picking it up.

:35: out of :5:
    ~Nick
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I absolutely love CTHD for the story, picture, sound, everything.. but there have been too many sad attempts at taking their crown at that style of movie. Hero was pretty good, but I think I only liked it because I wanted to like it. I really liked the grace that CTHD had and Hero seemed to over do it just a little bit. I will give House od Flying Daggers a try just cause Ziyi is just hot!
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Stoney
      • Dec 2004

I rate them 1) CTHD 2) HOFD 3) Hero. Nothing but praise on the effects, the colors, the soundtracks, the relationships between the characters etc. Consider all three as being top in their genre but wish the stories weren't so tragic. I'm one of those happy endings-good guys always win kind of guys.
      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
      DM602 S2 Surrounds
      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
      CC6 S2 Center.
      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

I saw it last Monday. It was good but dragged in several places and was overdone a bit. I preferred CTHD over it by a little.

Cinematography, story ,acting etc were all good.

I wouldn't buy it though. The PQ was awful. Soft, No detail. I expect a Superbit release knowing its Sony Tri Star.

Comment

• Nick M
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I enjoyed it enough to pick up my own copy.

Definetly not as good as CTHD though.
          ~Nick

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Although the story was not as compelling as other stories, I found it enjoyable.

Probably my favorite part of the show was the Echo Game scene.

I don't know if I agree that the PQ was awful. While the picture may have been soft in some points, it was still very beautiful to behold, and beautifully filmed I thought. I would buy this DVD on picture alone.
            Bing

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

We watched several scenes from this movie at our local HT meet this past Saturday (April 30, 2005) and both the cinematography and the sound were sensational. The picture quality was just fine on a calibrated plasma screen. Didn't see enough to get any real sense of the story, but with the lush colors, carefully choreographed martial arts action (and a gotta-see-it-to-believe-it dance sequence that turns into martial arts action) and vivid soundtrack, that may not be the point.

Actually, I plan to buy the DVD at some point to see the whole movie. Even if the overall film doesn't get your pulse rate up, there's enough material here to make another great demo disk.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• cobbpa
                • Apr 2005

Has anyone bought a DTS version? It doesn't appear to be available in Region 1, but I'm curious as to how / where anyone got it, as I would like to purchase it.

Comment

• june
                  • Feb 2005

cobbpa,

Check out www.dddhouse.com for a DTS version of this film. By the way, the DTS version "frackin" rock the system.
                  June
                  "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Aha, another BSG fan!
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• june
                      • Feb 2005

Hello Chris,

BSG is one of my favorite shows. My only issue is the Sci Fi channel doesn't broadcast in HD or 5.1. But the DVDs are in 5.1. It's very hard to wait until the series is on DVD. I'm DVR them every Friday night.
                      June
                      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Yeah... I think reruns are played on Universal HD or some channel like that, too, on DirecTV. HD, 5.1.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"