X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Turn on those FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

I love sports movies of all kinds, but even though I'm not a huge football fan, I find that football movies seem to be the best. My collection includes titles such as: NORTH DALLAS 40, ALL THE RIGHT MOVES, EVERYBODY'S ALL AMERICAN, THE REPLACEMENTS, ANY GIVEN SUNDAY, and now FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.

LIGHTS ( which is based on a true story) is set in a small Texas town. The highschool football team is noted for its ability to win State championships, so much so that the townspeople just take winning for granted. This year, however, a crisis develops when a key player is injured and is unable to play the season. When the team really begins losing and seems to be struggling to make it to the finals, the coach is told in no uncertain terms by the town fathers that his future depends on the PANTHERS bringing home another State championship. The rest of the film deals with the struggles of the young players as the coach challenges them to reach deep down within themselves to find the the courage and determination that will see them realize their dreams. But as much as the coach wants and needs to win the State Championship, he is a caring man who is more concerned with his players development as human beings, something that goes well beyond just being a highschool football champ. In essence, he uses the game of football to teach youngsters how to become young men of character, and that's really what FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS is all about.

LIGHTS is directed by Peter Berg, an actor turned director, who seems to know how to get the best out of his actors. The entire cast is terrific, but there are standout performances by Billy Bob Thornton as the coach, Lucas Black as an intense young player, a black American actor ( I don't know his name) who portrayed the injured player, and a surprising performance by country music star Tim McGraw ( son of baseball great Tug McGraw) as an abusive parent.

Picture quality is quite good and the sound, too, but a lot more subtle that Any Given Sunday. However, I played a bit of hockey in my younger days and know firsthand the sound ( and feel) that two bodies make when meeting at high speed: it's a simultaneous THUD/GRUNT ! Oliver Stone's approach to body contact in Any Given Sunday is somewhat exagerated but certainly exciting. On the other hand, Berg's handling of this in LIGHTS is probably closer to reality.

The conclusion of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS packs an emotional wallop and ( at least in my case) leaves you thinking and caring about the characters long after the rolling credits fade to black. Any film that does that for me gets the highest marks.
    :5:
    My Homepage!
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

Very timely review,I just rented this movie last night.This sounds like a good movie that the kids can watch with me.Hopefully they can pick up on the essence of the movie without me pointing it out.I enjoy movies that teach or give warning to young ones without preaching.Such as "Mean Girls" or our all time favorite "the Karate Kid".
    We had 36 inches of snow this weekend and expect another foot today,the movie gives me something to look forward to this evening.Thanks for the review.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Herman, the storm that hit you also dumped 60 cm on us. That's 2 feet on top of 2 feet we already had from a previous blizzard a couple of days ago.

As for Friday Night Lights. I think you and the family will enjoy it. There's one very mild sex scene that really doesn't show anthing or go anywhere, and the language is not bad considering it's a sports film.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

George,

I bought the DVD blind, based on reviews and the fact that, I, too, love sport movies, especially those based on real life stories. Toss in the fact that I find Billy Bob to be a fascinating actor.

Watched it the first night. I'm a teacher at a high school with quite a reputation in football and sit with a lot of coaches for coffee every morning. Almost every day, they talk about how parents and other townfolk attempt to control them. As I said, we are a football school and, a couple of years back, a new coach was hired. He had a very fine record in his previous stints, but the talent level was down that year which impacted the team record. He received death threats, his house was vandalized, and a parent even came to their door one evening and spat in his wife's face. He quit after one year, although he continues to teach at my school (had coffee with him this morning). This past year, he took up another coaching position with another school and they went on to win the division III sectional championships this year.

So, as I watched the film, the way some community members acted was something very close to what I've seen over the years.

Sad really. You even see it happening with leagues involving young children these days. When I was young, playing baseball or whatever was just like a day in the park, carefree and the sweet smell of fresh mowed grass. Just grab a couple of friends and play Over-the-Line or something.

It was the interaction with the community aspect of the film that involved me the most for the above reasons.
        Keith

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The saga of Odessa-Permian's high school football team is an amazing one - even in a football-mad state like Texas. Friday Night Lights (the book) really stirred up a "tempest in a teapot" in Odessa-Permian when it was first published. Some thought it a dead-on representation, while others considered it a tattletale/sensationalist view of things. Growing up in Texas, being involved in sports all my life and seeing first-hand how far people go to win - and subsequently live out their failed expectations/fantasies through their kids - I fall into the "dead-on" camp.

Billy Bob turns out another strong performance and as George already mentioned, Tim McGraw really surprises with his acting chops.

It's a hell of a movie. :4: out of :5: for me.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I understand the ending of the film is different than that of the book.

Keith, I saw similar things involving minor hockey. I had 3 boys involved and the parents just took things too darn serious. Got to the point nobody wanted to coach or referee the games. Bloody stupid.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
              I understand the ending of the film is different than that of the book.
              I'm not telling. :B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

I really don't want to know anyway :B
                My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I will say that the Dallas-area team they really played in the State Championship that year - Converse Judson - was as talented and storied a program as the Odessa-Permian one.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

In fact (I had to look it up) from 1990 to 1999 Converse-Judson made it to the 5A Championship game 6 times!

Comment

• H.Donald
                      • Aug 2004

I remember a Texas high school football game on ESPN a few years back.I believe they put it on because one of the teams was trailing by a huge amount and came back and scored something like 40 points in the last quarter.Anyone remember that??

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Yeah, it was the Buffalo Bills and the Houston Oilers. The Bills staged the single largest comeback in NFL history that day. Oh, you said high-school... well the Oilers qualified, right? :

Seriously though, I didn't catch the game you're referring to. Sorry Herman.

Comment

• H.Donald
                          • Aug 2004

I remember that Oilers-Bills game,but this one was even more wild.I just found it on a Texas high school website.It went like this...1994 div.2 semi-final....
                          Plano East high school was down 41-17 to Tyler with time running out in the fouth.
                          Plano scored and then recovered 3 consecutive onside kicks scoring after each one.
                          The last coming with 4 seconds left in the game put them up 44-41.All they had to do was pooch kick it to an up back on the kickoff to complete the greatest comeback in history.Instead they booted it all the way downfield and a Tyler speedster took it back 95 yards.Final score Tyler 48 PEhs 44. The comeback and ending was so stunning it made national news.I remember ESPN showing over and over and finally replaying the entire game.It's known as the greastest game in Texas h.s. football history.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"