• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Saw Bourne Supremacy

I'll make it short
    The second builds on the momentum of the first. Fantastic action but...

The director loves the handheld camera and he forgot to turn the motion stabilizers on. This movie carries a blinding pace and dizzying action sequences....and I don't mean that metaphorically. This movie is physically dizzying. The camera is almost never locked down, it shakes constantly and does become distracting, which is unfortunate.

I'm all for "in the moment" type action but this movie has such quick edits that your brain barely registers the moment. I imagine if you were in that situation, that's how it would feel, but consider yourself warned. The shakiness of it all probably won't be as noticeable on the smaller screen but on the big screen, it generates a physical reaction, whether intentional or not.

Like I said, well acted, solid cast, great story nicely laid out action....

bring your air sickness bag.

:35: / :5:

Half star deducted for the editing and camera work, it bugged me that much.
    Last edited by Gordon Moore; 20 August 2004, 00:42 Friday.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Oh, oh, nothing worse than overdone handheld camerawork. It can be exhausting for viewers.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If You Can Get Past That Though. . .

I thought that Supremacy was as good as Identity. Yeah, the handheld camera got a bit old, but I wound up so involved in the movie that I quit noticing it. It's got a good screenplay, good pacing, very good acting all around, and the same cast of characters from the first movie. Well, the ones Bourne didn't kill off. : Matt Damon is growing into the role quite nicely, IMO. I give it a strong :35:. Better camera-work and it would have been a :4: - at least.

WARNING: Major Spoiler! Being a bit of a closet romantic, I was REALLY pis**d when they killed Marie off (Franke Potente's character), as I had hopes of another happy ending.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Guess Gordon and I were of a similar mind, eh?

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by David Meek
          Guess Gordon and I were of a similar mind, eh?
          Ha, that's pretty funny...yeah I guess so....I still have to throw up my adjusted thoughts on underworld in the DVD section...been a bit busy at home lately ops:

Still talking Spoiler:

Yeah I was surprised but accepted it as a motive to drive the character. I didn't think something like that would happen so soon My wife was big-time pissed, mind you see bawled her eyes out at The Notebook...I wanted to see that movie but it was girls night out....bring a box of kleenex to that one I'm told.
          Last edited by Gordon Moore; 20 August 2004, 00:40 Friday.
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• will1066
            • Aug 2003

I didn't have as much a problem with the handheld as the hyperkinetic editing of the hand-to-hand and car chase scenes. Not did any of the individual shots in those sequences last more than a half-second. It's hard to get a feel of what's going on. The brain puts together bits and pieces but nothing close to a clear, linear image, at least for me. It makes Michael Bay's editing look like still life. Another recent movie that suffers from the same overkinetic editing is Chronicles of Riddick. What's funny is Karl Urban (Lord of the Rings) is in both Bourne Supremacy (Russian assassin) and Chronicles of Riddick.

Still, I liked Bourne Supremacy. It fleshed out a bit more the good attributes of Bourne Identity. A spy series intended for more mature audiences, lacking the cartoonishness of recent Bond films. Also, I'm a sucker for those European locales they used in the movies.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by will1066
              I didn't have as much a problem with the handheld as the hyperkinetic editing of the hand-to-hand and car chase scenes. Not did any of the individual shots in those sequences last more than a half-second. It's hard to get a feel of what's going on. The brain puts together bits and pieces but nothing close to a clear, linear image, at least for me. It makes Michael Bay's editing look like still life. Another recent movie that suffers from the same overkinetic editing is Chronicles of Riddick. What's funny is Karl Urban (Lord of the Rings) is in both Bourne Supremacy (Russian assassin) and Chronicles of Riddick.
              Well if Mr. Urban is doing poor work, wouldn't that be

wait

for

it

Suburban?

Heehee. :B :B :B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Tex, I think you may have just gotten one up on our ol' buddy Burke. :rofl:
                My Homepage!

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

LMAO David.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"