• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Academy Award Winners 2004

Here they are:

Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins - Mystic River. This was a tough category!

Art Direction: Return Of The King.

Animated Feature: Finding Nemo. Anyone surprised here? :

Costume Design: Return Of The King.

Supporting Actress: Renee Zellweger - Cold Mountain.

Live Action Short Film: Two Soldiers.

Animated Short Film: Harvie Krumpet.

Visual Effects: Return Of The King. This was another toughie - everyone deserved to win.

Make-up: Return Of The King.

Sound Mixing: Return Of The King.

Sound Editing: Master & Commander.

Documentary Short Subject: Chernobyl Heart.

Documentary Feature: The Fog Of War.

Original Score: Return Of The King.

Film Editing: Return Of The King.

Original Song: Into The West - Return Of The King.

Foreign Film: Barbarian Invasions.

Cinematography: Master & Commander.

Adapted Screenplay: Return Of The King.

Original Screenplay: Lost In Translation.

Director: Peter Jackson - Return Of The King.

Leading Actress: Charlize Theron - Monster.

Leading Actor: Sean Penn - Mystic River.

Best Picture: Return Of The King.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Thanks for the live updates. You made my day with the last item.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Tell me about it Paul!!!! Yeah! :banana:

Wow, a clean sweep for Return Of The King. Eleven awards ties it with Ben Hur and Titanic for the most given to a single film.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Was it me or did several of the award winners look at little peturbed when say a group won an award but one person decided to use all the time to go on thanking everyone and their dog (and everyone in New Zealand :P the running joke of the night ) in their acceptance speech?

Classic, Denis Arcand wins for the Barbarian Invasions and everyone probably thiks he's a she since that woman took all the time. :LOL:

On a Happy note...I'm really glad Sean Penn was finally given the award. he is well deserving I think...although secretly I was rooting for Bill Murray ...my wife was rooting for Johnny Depp ( as was every other woman watching :roll: )
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
          Wow, a clean sweep for Return Of The King. Eleven awards ties it with Ben Hur and Titanic for the most given to a single film.
          Yep -- an amazing, wonderful turn of events! In addition to tying the record for the most Oscars awarded one film, a few other points: Ben Hur won 11 of 12 nominations, Titanic won 11 of 14, but Return of the King had to wn every category it was nominated for to take home 11. It was also only the third Best Picture winner to win all of its nominated categories (Gigi and The Last Emperor each swept 9 awards.)

It is also very rare for a Best Picture nominee to win without any Acting nominations. If you count the trilogy as one film, Lord of the rings won 17 Oscars, including at least one in every category for which it was eligible except the acting categories (and I think it was robbed being denied nominations in those except for Ian McKellan's Best Supporing Actor nom for Fellowship, which he should have won, IMO).

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I really wasn't surprised at the outcome. Zellwegger, Penn and Theron were certainties, though I didn't expect Robbins to take best supporting actor.

Gordon, I noticed that aggravation, too regarding the hogging and long-winded acceptance speeches.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I didn't really key in on the acceptance speeches as I was typing in who just won the category. Unfortunately, I DID hear that one arrogant SOB saying something to the effect of "Well, the Academy finally noticed my films. It's about time!" or something like that. Puh-lease.
              :loser:

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Errol Morris has made a lot of impressive documentaries, including "Thin Blue Line" (Roger Ebert gave it 3 and 1/2 stars Ebert review of Thin Blue Line and "Gates of Heaven" (which Roger Ebert counts as one of the "great movies" of all time regardless of catagory Ebert writeup on Gates of Heaven) but none of Morris' work had ever been nominated before, much less won the Oscar. In fact, the screwed up way the Academy handled nominations in the Best Documentary category in previous years, a lot of great work got overlooked, including his. The procedures have been changed and unlike some previous years, this year's nominees were not an embarrassment to the Academy.

Although Morris' statement when he got the Oscar may have sounded arrogant, he may have just been grateful to have finally been noticed. Here's the quote as reported in the Reuters story on the Documetary Oscars:

"I'd like to thank the Academy for finally recognizing my films," said Morris, who has never before won an Oscar despite making such acclaimed works as "The Thin Blue Line." "I thought it would never happen," he said.

Full Text of Reuters Story

Ebert four star review of Fog of War which won the Best Documentary Oscar.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Interesting, Burke. I'll have to check out those movies.

CHRIS
                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"