X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST

Anyone here going to see this film ? I haven't made my mind up as yet. Don't like the idea it has English subtitles as the film will be quite a visual experience. How can you keep up with what's being said while trying to concentrate on what's happening visually.

Watched Mel Gibson's interview with Diane Sawyer. I knew Mel was a staunch catholic but didn't realize he is against modern day catholicism. Another interesting tidbit from the interview, after The Passion, Mel said he doesn't know if he wants to go back to the kind of stuff he did before as an actor; he'd rather work behind the camera.

He's quite the risk-taker. Spent over $30 million of his own money to get this film made.

Any thoughts on this controversial film ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I don't know if I'll be seeing it in the theatre. (I rarely go to the theatre anymore, my home system is nicer and I don't have to pay ridiculous amounts for admission I mean I haven't even seen the final LOTR! 8O )

I does look like a very good film and I will likely purchase the DVD when it comes out. The english subtitle/visually grand clash does seem a bit of a conundrum though doesn't it. That was the main reason I gave up watching the original soundtrack of Crouching Tiger. I spent more time reading than looking at the beautiful imagery which demands and deserves your full attention.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

I'm going to go see this film. The following is my opinion, so please take it as such!

Just to clarify a bit...Gibson is not against "modern day" Catholocism per se, but rather chooses to practice a more lesser known traditional practice. He views that over time, "traditions" have been lost within the Catholic church that he finds valuable to his faith.

As to the subtitles...I believe Gibson planned for this, so that no action or ciritical scene would be "covered up" by the use of subtitles.

As to the so-called "controversial film" label...I just have to laugh. Yes, I've read and heard about the anit-semetic comments, which to any logically thinking person is absurd. For instance...Jesus was a Jew, he lived among Jews, and died among the Jews. Ok, what if these events took place in Africa or here in the US...then would those same arguing that the Jews killed Christ, say the African people killed Jesus or the American's did...because that's where his death took place?

The Jews are God's chosen people, from where he built the human race...does anyone wonder why there have been SO MANY problems that has surrounded these chosen people over the decades? For where there is "anything" of Christ, God, Jesus, etc...there will always be "controversy" because some will choose (free will) to believe that all of that is hogwash. And I believe that there are forces at work, in this world, to destroy anything that represents the message of Christ.

Anyone who reads the accounts of Christ's death knows that ALL people, the sin of every human being, of all nations, Jew and Gentile alike...are responsible for His death...because through His death, and life, we have the free will to choose Salvation and to be freed from our transgressions.

IMHO, those attacking the film or more so Gibson for making it...are not attacking the film or the man called Mel...but the Man, the faith, and the message the film represents.

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'll be seeing it without a doubt. The only question is whether to wait 'til it shows up here on the island or to catch it on a trip to the mainland.

It's a bit disturbing to me that a film about the last 12 hours in the life of Christ has generated the amount of ill-feelings it has. Being a Christian, the story shown in The Passion Of The Christ interests me greatly and I am looking forward to seeing Mel Gibson's interpretation of that day. But, I am not looking at this as a banner being waved against the Jewish portion of our society and I have to wonder about the motivations of those people that do look at this film as a forum for spreading invective and ill will. People should go see the movie and THEN discuss what they saw/heard/felt during its presentation - just like any other highly publicized, highly anticipated, somewhat controversial film. That's just my 2 cents, as always. . . .

As far as reading sub-titles while watching, with this film it may not be such a distraction. Most people that are at least passing familiar with the story of Christ will be able to quickly sieze on the various things occurring in the film, thus minimizing the need for reading. Add to that Mel Gibson's assurances that the sub-titles won't be conflicting with the film's visuals, and hopefully we'll have a moving cinematic experience - Latin and Hebrew nothwithstanding.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I agree.

I will MOST definitely be going to see this movie. From what I've heard of it, Gibson's primary and only goal here is to accurately depict Christ's story. I really have a problem with non-fiction, non-allegorical stories of the Bible that are deliberately embellished or censored, whether it be with violence, "drama", nationality, religion, etc. Then the point is really to TRY and make the story "better", or more "appealing" than it really is, NOT to tell the truth. In an accurate story, even ONE twist or embellishment makes the story false.

The truth often hurts. To change the story to make it less frank and honest, or more "appealing", makes it untrue, no matter how much you may want it to be a different way. If truth offends people, it doesn't make it any less the truth.

The passion story of the life of Christ is not a "comfortable" story for anyone, I think. None of us like the idea that we are sinners. None of us like the idea that it was for OUR sin that Christ died. We would all like to say, "I didn't do it". It would make us feel secretly better to think that others , the sinners, the dirty people, the bad people, have the sin that requires the atonement of Christ's death. Not us.

The passion story is amazing and sufficient on its own for anyone, but it is difficult to swallow. There is violence, loneliness, betrayal, manipulation, pain, and immense sadness on the grandest and most personal of scales. Having a stake driven through your palms and feet soles, your back whipped raw, and your side carved open with a knife isn't just a romantic fairytale. It's brutal reality.

If Gibson doesn't do it accurately, I'll be disappointed. But one of the great experiences of my life was going to see THE Passion Play in person, played only every 10 years in Oberammagau, Germany. It didn't even bother me that much that it was all in German. Just to watch basic actions of the story, seeing events happen, are moving enough. Normally I don't watch subtitled foreign films. But in this case, it will be fine, or maybe even preferable. I think I'll appreciate the authenticity of the actual Aramaic instead of English.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Interesting comments guys.

Erik, I understand Mel is building a church of his own for those that go with his , as you said, more traditional practice of catholicism. It is apparently costing him 5 million of his own money. I believe it is being built in Bel Aire (?). Correct me if I am wrong.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I've heard that also, George, that Mel bought land in California to build a church. Very interesting. While my personal beliefs are generally Protestant and differ in some ways from all branches of Catholicism, I appreciate that Mel is holding true to his faith. Undoubtedly, people will begin to use the "fanatic" label--that's always what happens when people take a public stand on their faith, like we're supposed to hide our beliefs in our own head and never let them come out. I can't know Gibson's true intentions inside his heart. But if they're solely to pursue God, and to follow His purpose, I appreciate that.

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Yeah, I think Mel's religious intentions are good ones and from his heart. As for his film, it was a high risk venture but I don't think he will have any trouble making his money back and perhaps a few million more to boot. With all the media hype this film is getting, people will be flocking to the theaters to see it.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

The only thing I'm worried about is the concern about this movie causing violence against jews. IMO if that does happen, people will have pathetically used this movie as an excuse for violence they already wanted to commit. I don't believe any movie in and of itself could cause people to commit hate crimes, though the subject matter is obviously on the senitive side especially with it's "honest" (don't want to offend the non-religious either ) portrayal of violence and emotion. Surely I understand that there will be an emotional response to the film, how could there not be considering the subject matter? But that emotion is no excuse for violence and if anything I can only assume this movie and Mel for that matter is only trying to portray that we need more love and understanding in the world and it's the small mindedness and hatred of all people jewish, catholic or otherwise that we should be mindful of and we as humans need to strive to do better regardless of our race or creed.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

I personally think this could be the greatest film of all time. I hope it is and I haven't even seen it. We haven't decided if we are going to the theater or waiting for it on DVD. I don't think we'll be able to wait although I will certainly own it on DVD and it will probably be one of my most watched movies.

I know a few people who have seen this movie and they say the subtitles are not distracting at all. It didn't bother them in the least bit. That's not to say it won't bother some people though.

I have heard nothing negative from any local people who have seen it. The only negative that I've heard has been individuals from Hollywood or TV people. It appears that some of those same people that applauded Shindler's List and Saving Private Ryan are saying Mel didn't need this much violence in his movie. Supposedly they claimed that it was needed to make it real and true in Shindler's List and Saving Private Ryan... but it's not okay in Passion of Christ. Doesn't make sense to me but I guess that's their choice to believe whatever they want to. I guess it would make sense if they are non-believers.

One thing I think is so amazing about this film is the number of people it has affected in a positive way and we are just in the beginning of the showings. There is no doubt God is using this film to bring more people to know Jesus. I think it's marvelous that churches around the country are setting up passion houses for people to go after they watch the movie. I just believe this movie will have the most impact of any movie ever.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I agree, Sonnie. Mel did a lot of research in crucifixions. They were utterly cruel and violent; probably the worst possible way man could kill another man. If people can't handle that kind of violence they should stay away, as Mel already advised when interviewed by Diane Sawyer. And I for one don't believe for a moment that Mel is anti-semitic. It's unfortunate that his father had to show his anti-semitism just at the time Mel's film was being released.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Feb 2002

Count me in the naysayers a bit...honestly...I think, like Easter and Christmas, churches will experience a swell and then a week after, they will empty out. The emotions that this movie are generating in people will probably be lost by the time the Summer blockbusters are out. Ask people about the profound effects of the Passion a year from now and you won't hear much. The Last Temptation Of Christ generated a lot of controversy in it's day, the Church lashed out against it...many people and groups denounced it...now it's just another movie. So, in the end I really think this will be remembered as just another movie.

If you need religion, go to church, if you want entertainment, you go to the movies.

Yes it's brutally violent but the execution of the day was crucifixion, and, they WERE crule but not necessarily unusual, not to say that Christ wasn't treated worse than anyone else...quite possibly treated THE worst because they needed to make an example of him.

I question Mel's intentions because he has made a lot of movies in his lifetime...I suppose his intent would seem more clear to me if he had been preaching the same message from day 1 of his career. I'm not saying this message is a bad thing...I just question why now?

I suppose the answer (before anyone else says it) is: why not now?

This movie deals with the final 12 hours, so to me , it would appear that Mel is preaching to the choir a bit. A more, hopeful, socially profound message, for the "non-believers", would deal more with the events and Christ-like works leading up to the last 12 hours, I think...

These are my pre-movie thoughts...who knows I may change my mind after seeing it , but that's where I'm at with it right now.

It has definitely proven financially lucrative for Gibson, no doubt about that. He took a risk and it paid off. The movie has it's own internal momentum.

Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Patrick Sun
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2000

My review from a couple of weeks ago:

An amazing, sobering look at the final hours of Christ. Mel Gibson succeeds in bringing us with Christ as he faces those horrendous hours of pain and suffering. I found the audience and I to be in step with every single exasperating breath that Christ takes. It was hard to watch, and yet, it was something that hits at your spiritual core with the ferocity of those Roman soldiers delivering the scourging of Christ. This was a very moving film, on many levels.

For me, it wasn't about the "intellectual/scholarly" aspect of the film's subject that was of interest to me. It was the unflinching flood of emotion and empathy that gripped me by the throat for almost 2 hours and gave up its hold slowly as Christ found release in his final moments on earth and whose spirit moves believers on a daily basis to live the good life, to be good to all, to embrace life everlasting.

Jim Caviezel pulls off the performance of his life, relying on his body language to fully immerse himself into the role of Christ and all that he suffered and all that he gave freely to any and all who would listen to him at the ultimate cost to himself.

It's been quite a while since I spent the last hour of any film with tears welling up in my eyes as I was immersed in these final hours of Christ, agonizingly each step of the way. In trying to stave off outright sobbing, my breathing had to become more labored and controlled, else I might have lost it.

Words fail me as I exited from the theater. I was on auto-pilot driving home as scenes played through my head, my heart. Chills continued to go through my body several hours afterwards.

I give it 4 stars, or a grade of A. But it seems silly to even "score" this film because it was more of a moving experience that left me with an indelible mark on the inside.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
                          PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Wow, Patrick. Your comments alone are testament enough (no pun intended) for this film. I can't wait for it to come to the island.

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

Patrick... it's exciting to know this film had such an impact on you and is doing the same to so many others as well.

Originally posted by Gordon
                              The Last Temptation Of Christ generated a lot of controversy in it's day, the Church lashed out against it...many people and groups denounced it...now it's just another movie. So, in the end I really think this will be remembered as just another movie.

If you need religion, go to church, if you want entertainment, you go to the movies.

I question Mel's intentions because he has made a lot of movies in his lifetime...I suppose his intent would seem more clear to me if he had been preaching the same message from day 1 of his career. I'm not saying this message is a bad thing...I just question why now?

This movie deals with the final 12 hours, so to me , it would appear that Mel is preaching to the choir a bit. A more, hopeful, socially profound message, for the "non-believers", would deal more with the events and Christ-like works leading up to the last 12 hours, I think...
                              Gordon... although I haven't seen this movie, from what I gather from the numerous people I know personally that have seen it is that there is no way you can compare it to The Last Temptation of Christ. The movies have two completely different intentions. With the box office results already exceeding $225 million this could possibly end up close to or exceeding Titanic. The Last Temptation of Christ only grossed a mere $8.3 million.

Religion is everywhere... not just church. Just for the record... if we need religion we get it from where ever possible. If we need entertainment we get it from where ever possible. None the less I don't believe Mel was trying to entertain anyone with this movie.

From what I understand Mel started this movie a while ago... several years ago (I forget how many exactly... maybe 12). Peoples lives change over time and it could easily be that the Lord put this on Mel's heart when He did for a reason. Either way... it's now and it's obviously great timing.

I don't believe Mel intended this movie for strictly "non-believers" but rather for everyone. A movie intended solely for "non-believers" might be something like you mentioned but again, it's very clear that Mel had other intentions with this movie.

Finally... I agree with the fact the movie has proven financially lucrative for Mel. It would be exciting to see him donate all of the profits to charity in some way or another and while it would be very interesting to know where his heart is with the earnings he will reap... it's really none of my business what he does with his money.

I'll be interested in reading your comments after you've seen the movie.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"