X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

spiderman in trouble

Tobey Maguire may be forced to bow out of the "Spider-Man" sequel due to a bad back, Variety reports.

Maguire, who shot to stardom as the web-slinging superhero, may be replaced in the sequel by the real-life boyfriend of his on-screen love interest, Kirsten Dunst.

Maguire's spokeswoman said the actor was experiencing problems with his back -- brought on by physically demanding roles in his last two films -- and may not be up to performing difficult stunts.

"After doing two physically demanding films in a row, Tobey has experienced mild discomfort in his back, which is in the final stages of healing, she said in a statement. "With an April 12 start date around the corner, everyone involved wants to be certain he is able to do the intense stunts."

In line to don Peter Parker's duds if Maguire isn't ready is actor Jake Gyllenhaal ("Moonlight Mile," "The Good Girl"), who happens to be dating Dunst.

Last month, Maguire's agents renegotiated a record 17 million deal for the sequel, more than four times what he took in for the original "Spider-Man" film.

"Spider-Man" was the highest-grossing movie of 2002, generating worldwide ticket sales of $800 million

• Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I disagree with changing spidey's completely, he's the guy. If he's not ready, the film should wait! That's my opinion!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

oo

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I agree...esp if its only that he can't do the stunts...can't they find a boby double...I mean he's in a costume right?

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I've never been a fan of movies switching actors for the same role, such as Batman. I do think that Maguire should do it again. He did well. I'm also hearing rumors that he may be playing the role after all, which is good.

I think the only movie series where I didn't mind actor switching was the Lampoon Vacation series where the kids are different each one.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Agreed. Tobey should be allowed to heal up enough to get the role. He MADE the movie if you ask me.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
              Last month, Maguire's agents renegotiated a record 17 million deal for the sequel, more than four times what he took in for the original "Spider-Man" film.
              I'm thinking Toby will be the MOST disappointed person on the planet if he is not able to do it.

It does say he is healing, hopefully in time to do the stunts. But beyond that, I sort of read it to say he is just not really up to this kind of work, as the last 2 rounds have shown him. I think the problem is more he does not want to cause himself permanent injury or damage by doing them at all. Otherwise, why wouldn't they wait?

Maybe not though.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"