X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

What you love/hate about going to the movies

I was wondering why I don't go to the movie theaters as much any more and came up with these reasons.

1. The people who talk, chew loudly, or put their feet up next to your face from the seat behind.

2. The sometimes lousy screens and/or sound systems. Honestly, sometimes it feels like I'm looking at a screen smaller than my Mitsubishi HDTV at home.

3. The prices!!! $8 or $9 per show, unless you go to a matinee. And, yipes, that pop corn, soda, candy, etc. Yes, I know you don't have to buy it, but that's part of the movie going experience for me. Anyway, if I take my family of four, it can get costly for a couple of hours entertainment.

Yet, for me, there are still reasons to go to the theater:

1. When the sound and picture are right, it's still superb, especially for movies thirsty for that big screen, such as The Lord of the Rings.

2. Something about watching a film in a huge open space appeals to me.

3. You can see the film before every one spoils it for you by telling you what happens.

...oh yeah, I like popcorn and Jordan almonds at the theater better. I don't know why.

How about you all. What are your pros/cons about the movie going experience?

Keith
    Keith
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Keith,

For me it's the BIG screen. There's still something about a 60' presentation that I love - and yes, some movies are meant to be seen on the big screen - The Two Towers is a good example. That and the generally good PQ and SQ at the theater complex I normally attend. There's not much of the "bad crowd" practices there and if there are most times the guilty party responds to a polite request.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Cost is an issue but we're a test market for a new pricing structure where its the same price all the time at a reduced rate so its actually not that bad ($8 cdn)

The big screen is a big plus but IMO its usually not a very good image with scratches or just grainy images even in the THX theaters. The audio is ok but again I always seem to hear the subs farting away but I guess I'm spoiled in that respect :?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I am one of the oldtimers here and I confess I really miss the movie experience I used to love during the days of the great old Movie Palaces. The multiplex cinemas of today have a cold, drab atmosphere, and many have terrible sound systems. Buy every now and then I like to take in a film just for the big screen experience. But to be honest, an 8 foot film in my HT is pretty darn good, and I don't have to worry about gum on the floor and people yakking.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

George,

I'm wondering if you're as old as I am. I remember watching Ben Hur and movies like that on huge screens. And, remember cinerama. I'm afraid those days are long gone.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Heh, heh, I'm 66, Danbry Yeah, you are right, those days are gone.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

I'm 51, but I still love pictures from that era. Also loved the TV, albeit it doesn't quite match up audio/visually to now, I still remember shows like Jack Benny, The Life of Riley, The Alfred Hitchcock Show, and all the millions of great Westerns. If we told our kids, "In our day, there wasn't no remote controls, vcr's, dvd's, and TV's were all in black and white," they'd never believe us.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

no remotes 8O

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Yeah, no remotes. :roll: I remember the first "cable" box we had (my freshman year at college). The channel selector was hard-wired to the controller unit and had something like 30 push-buttons - one for each channel. Ya gotta love progress!

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Actually, my first vcr had a remote ( the tv didn't) but the dang thing was attached to a cord that plugged into the front of the vcr. Didn't have to worry about replacing batteries, but tripping over this extra long remote cord was a pain in the butt.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• craigdcan
                      • Dec 2002

Pros
                      1. Monster screen....some movies are ust sooo much better on a huge screen.
                      2. It's an outing...you can actually say that you left the house.
                      3. You get to see, and review the movie before it gets to DVD.(some movies you just can't wait for).
                      Cons
                      1. Cost
                      2. Not as comfy as at home.
                      3. I don't get to push "play" whenever I choose....or "pause" for that matter.
                      4. Have to pay for a babysitter.
                      5. If it just so happens that you have to go to the washroom....10 knees later, and a few sighs....(and who can really decide when squeezing down the row, whether to go crotch to their face, or a$$...nyuck nyuck)
                      6. No extras to watch after the movie.
                      7. They expect you to watch the movie fully clothed.
                      8. No temperature control.
                      9. No remote control.
                      10. Gum or spilled pop under your left foot.
                      11. If you say "what did he just say?".....you can't scan back to actually hear what he said.
                      12. You only have the trailer to judge the movie by....no awards, no word-of-mouth(much less than once it's out on DVD)....although, sometimes having heard what people/reviewers say, can give you a higher or lower expectation).
                      13. It's not MY system that we're watching/hearing.
                      14. When I nudge my wife and say "wow, did that ever sound cool", I don't have that same smile on my face, as when it's on MY system.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Craig, you list of cons pretty much sums it up for me.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"