• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Four Feathers - A Review

The Four Feathers - A Review 09/24/2002

This is the fourth film to tell the tale of Harry Faversham - Heath Ledger (The Patriot, A Knight's Tale, Monster's Ball), Jack Durrance - Wes Bentley (Beloved, American Beauty), Ethne Eustace - Kate Hudson (About Adam, Almost Famous, The Cutting Room) and Abou Fatma - Djimon Hounsou (Stargate, Amistad, Deep Rising, Gladiator). It's the first remake in 60+ years with the original shot in 1921, and remakes done in 1929, 1939. Directed by relative unknown Shekhar Kapur, this is a tale of honor lost, love forsaken, and the struggle to regain them.

Set in 1870's England, one of the Empire's outposts in the Sudan has been attacked and wiped out by the forces of the Mahdi, an Islamic prophet. Harry and Jacks' unit, the Cambrian Guard, is notified that they are being sent to set things aright. On the eve of their sailing, Harry resigns his commission so as not to be parted from his fiance, Ethne. Upon learning of this, three of Harry's friends deliver to him a white feather apiece which is the sign of a coward. Ethne, surprisingly adds a fourth and to complete his shame, Harry's father - a general - disowns him. Shunned by everyone that means anything to him, Harry sets out to reclaim his good name and reputation. He follows his old unit to the desert on their search to find the Mahdi so that he may do something - anything - to reverse his fortunes.

The film moves along fairly quickly and entertainingly after a slow start. There are moments of discontinuity in a couple of the desert scenes that leave you scratching your head, but overall the pace and storyline is appropriate for a swash-buckling adventure film. One interesting sideline is that this film of Imperial England at it's height is helmed by an Indian director and rather than razing this part of England's history which would be understandable given India's past relationship with The Queen, he gives it a favorable cast.

Visually, scenes range from nightime England, to searing daytime desert, to the cavelike interior of a desert fort to the chapel in an English city. The color palette is broad and well used with shots of a georgeous chapel and dining hall, and especially beautiful reds in the British soldiers' uniform coats that contrast against the dull drab colors of the desert. There are several action sequences of large scale and complexity. No where is this more in evidence that in one sequence where the troops are surrounded and attacked by a large force of horsemen. They form one of the British "squares" and defend themselves. Shot from overhead, this huge scene showing an entire valley floor covered by the English soldiers and charging horsement is epic in feeling and impact. There are several scenes of intense military and prison violence, but there is no gore and minimal profanity.

The audio is not as enveloping as I had hoped and truthfully, expected for a movie such as this. Dialog is clear and the sounds of gunfire, horses thundering and wind blowing fiercely are all rendered in a natural tone. Some LFE is present, most notably during the calvary sequences, but not what we've become accustomed to in "big" movies such as this.

I initially thought that Heath Ledger was still a little lightweight for a role such as this, but he did a very acceptable job overall and well portrayed a man torn between his fear and his lost relationships. Wes Bentley and Djimon Hounsou steal the show with excellent performances as young lieutenant Jack who goes to war, and the warrior who befriends Harry in the desert. Kate Hudson is also quite good as the oh-so-young fiance that has to make a choice.

I enjoyed this film a lot. There is action, adventure and romance aplenty for all. For me, it brought back memories of Lawrence of Arabia and Khartoum. It made me suffer in the heat and dust of the endless desert. It made me suffer in the broken relationships and broken bodies of people at war. It made me think on a man's responsibilities, duties and where those may take us. It made me think of love and redemption and at what price each comes.

I give The Four Feathers :4: out of :5:.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Nice review, Tex. This one also reminds me of Gunga Din another desert locale story .

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Oh, you are correct, sir! I'd forgotten about it. Is it out on DVD yet?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Not on dvd as far as I know. Maybe someday.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Oh, one note for you military history-types that I failed to mention. Early on in the film a comment is made about helping or relieving General Gordon. This is a direct reference to the tale of General "Chinese" Gordon and The Mahdi and their battle for the city of Khartoum depicted in the 1966 movie starring Charleton Heston and Sir Laurence Olivier called Khartoum (another excellent film).

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Yeah. Khartoum is in my collection.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"