• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Road To Perdition - A Review

Road To Perdition - A Review July 12, 2002

This is a movie about fathers and sons. It's about the relationships between them and the trials they produce. It's about both generations looking at, and in some cases learning more about their children and parents than they would like. It's about growing up and losing the innocence we all look at the world with as children.

I'm not going to beat around the bush on this one. Road To Perdition rated :5: stars. Period. I walked out of the theater this afternoon as amazed by a movie as I have been in a long time. The acting, the script, the atmosphere, the cinematography all were astounding. Directed by Sam Mendes (American Beauty), it stars Tom Hanks (Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, Forrest Gump) as Michael Sullivan Sr., an enforcer and fiercely loyal follower of mob boss John Rooney, played by Paul Newman (Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, The Color Of Money, Slap Shot). Michael Sullivan Jr. is played by newcomer Tyler Hoechlin. Jude Law (Enemy At The Gates, A.I., Gattaca) is cast as McGuire, an assassin-for-hire, along with Daniel Craig (Lara Croft: Tomb Raider) as Connor Rooney, boss John's son.

Tom Hanks' portrayal of Michael Sullivan shows him at the top of his game as an actor. He tells so much by doing such small things - a look, a tilt of the head, a restrained movement. If he doesn't receive at least an Oscar nomination for this role, then I REALLY want to see what beats him out. He is 100% believalble as the hard, cold, haunted gunman and distant parent. Having said that, his may not even be the best acting job in the movie. Young Tyler Hoechlin and Paul Newman give Hanks a grand run for the money - Newman as the old Syndicate master in the city, juggling a deep affection for Michael (both Sr. and Jr.) with his duties as father to a head-strong thoughtless son - Hoechlin plays Hanks' 12-year-old son, who has a talent for seeing what he shouldn't, which causes a whole series of bad things to happen. Jude Law turns in a fine performance as a psychotic killer who loves to photograph his victims (and anyone else) as they die. Quite conceivably, there could be three nominations for acting out of this movie! Hanks, Hoechlin and Newman are that good, and Law isn't far behind.

Sam Mendes' directing is spot-on. I'm not aware of anything he's done other than American Beauty, but this - his second major film - shows that the acclaim he received for the first was anything but beginner's luck. He has a deft touch for telling stories that grab you and don't let go.

What can I say about the camera-work in this movie? Shot after shot is staged and framed beautifully. Lighting is used to set the mood in scene after scene. Many are shot in darkness and rain, with very good shadow detail using a palette of gray upon gray upon black with the occasional burst of color from deep red lipstick or arterial blood, to the gold and white flash of a gunshot. The attention to detail is fantastic. Chicago streets lined with period cars, the original Colt 1911 45's, the Thompson submachine guns, the wardrobes all shout "authentic"!

The soundtrack is very active with gunshots that have a hard, cracking edge to them that is reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan and Windtalkers. Dialog is clean - thank goodness - as small tonal inflections add their own weight to the tale. Surrounds are fairly active, especially during the gun battles, and with a good bit of ambient sound present such as crowded rooms, rain and road noise. The musical portion of the soundtrack should get an acting nomination in its own right. At times, melancholy, haunting, soothing, or threatening, it is one I HAVE to have. It tells part of the story in its own right.

Not being a fan of spoilers, I'm not going any further on this amazing, excellent film. You'll have to find out the rest for yourself. Oh, have I mentioned how much I liked this movie? It's not the easiest film to watch at points, but IMO it's a great movie. Give this one your undivided attention. You won't be disappointed.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

I thought it was slow in parts, low key, and then the 2nd act has this bit of out of place levity, and then it goes somber again. I thought the pacing wasn't as good as it could have been. The performances were okay, Newman got the most mileage out of what he was given. Tom Hanks' character was too underwritten and just flat out unhuman to care about (even as he hopes to prevent his son from following the same path as him). The story was too predictable (even with style and panache, I was so far ahead of the film, it did bore me due to the pacing).

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
    PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Hmm, that's a fairly large variation of rating. Anybody else?

Thanks for the thorough review David. However, I didn't read it all, I scanned it. I haven't seen the flick yet, and didn't want to read any spoilers, lol.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Sam Mendes does it again. Well crafted script, Hollywoods greatest actors, one of Hollywood's greatest cinematographers, terrific direction. But, like his previous film, American Beauty, I question his political agenda.
        Tom Hank's character plays a loving father who has one small foible. He thinks making money for himself by killing other fathers is o'k. And, we are supposed to feel sorry for him and cheer him on when his line of work endangers his own son. Sorry, doesn't work for me.
        Maybe it is because I know the people at Dreamworks and have sat in on the meetings that I am suspicous of Mr. Mendes and Greffen and just don't buy into what they are trying to sell. That they know how to make entertaining movies is without dispute. But, moral garbage is just that no matter how nicely it is packaged.
        If you think that there aren't successful people in Hollywood with political agendas to remake America I will give you a brief example. I sat in on a meeting with Steven Bochco when NBC gave him carte blance to develop 13 new series for t.v. What did the meeting consist of? How can we use tv for education, uplift spirits, provide laughter, provide heros for our children? Nope, what he and his wife were interested in was how to find a way to increase the amount of violence, sexuality, and profanity on tv and do it in such a way that the censors wouldn't notice. Hence, the birth of Cop Rock, an effort to hide their agenda behind song and dance. I know that Steven and his wife are very good friends with Geffen and Medes and they have similar thoughts.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Lex,

No spoilers in this review. Read away.

Bob,

I didn't get the feeling he was a loving father. I came away with the impression he was a reserved, distant man and those characteristics dominated and shaped his relationships with his sons. His feelings for his son begin to surface while on the run, in the close confines imposed by the chase.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Newman and Hanks together. Good story or bad, this will be in my collection when the dvd is released.

Bob,
            You lead an interesting life, my friend.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

Bob,

I guess it's safe to say that "being in the business" has changed the way you see movies? No offense intended, but if you're watching a film and all you can think about is your insider knowledge of the director you're probably seeing a different film than everyone else.
              Being an industry neophyte has its advantages. I can only judge the final film...not the person (people) behind it. If the director works his agenda into the film in a way I find objectionable I will pass but I rarely bring extra baggage to the theater with me.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"