X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood

I'm a huge Tarantino fan, so I wasn't going to miss this one regardless. Loved it. Don't want to spoil the film, so I'll just say that if you're a fan, it's worth seeing. One thing that might enhance the experience is to think of the central character as Hollywood itself (a romanticized version of 1969 Hollywood), rather than any individual in the story. Acting is excellent, visuals are lush (many snippets of fake "old movies and TV shows" that look just like the real ones (also present)), sound design is fantastic (especially the little bits in the background on radio/TV). Will definitely go into the collection.:T
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

once upon a time in hollywood

i have found most folks are pretty much divided on Quinton Tarantino's films.
    i for one, happen to like them all, and consider some to be quite exceptional.

so of course, my impressions of this one are in the same vein, albeit, this film does stray from his often overflowing amount of violence.
    in this instance, it is more hinted at, in the suspense style of the summer camp horror flicks of the 70's & 80's.

but be not put off if you need your fix of Quinton blood-spattered scenes.
    also, for buffs of "Manson Family" history, this is a 'must see'.

five out of five from me.

:5:

and on a the side:
    • Pitt's acting > Leo's
    • very long, but preferred to having too much necessary content end up on the cutting room floor.
    • laughed my ass off.
    • you gotta see what happens to bruce lee!!!!
    • cars and music period correct & well chosen
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
      i have found most folks are pretty much divided on Quinton Tarantino's films.
      i for one, happen to like them all, and consider some to be quite exceptional.

so of course, my impressions of this one are in the same vein, albeit, this film does stray from his often overflowing amount of violence.
      in this instance, it is more hinted at, in the suspense style of the summer camp horror flicks of the 70's & 80's.

but be not put off if you need your fix of Quinton blood-spattered scenes.
      also, for buffs of "Manson Family" history, this is a 'must see'.

five out of five from me.

:5:

and on a the side:
      • Pitt's acting > Leo's
      • very long, but preferred to having too much necessary content end up on the cutting room floor.
      • laughed my ass off.
      • you gotta see what happens to bruce lee!!!!
      • cars and music period correct & well chosen

From what I've read and heard, this could be a lot of fun for people of a certain age...

We know who we are!

It will go onto the long list of movies to buy in 4K HDR and start watching after the move to Idaho... 2021 can't come too soon!

And there's lots already bought on that list, as I don't tolerate deferred gratification very well...
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Looking forward to revisiting this (just got the UHD disc set--though can only watch BD for the moment).

Comment

• Alernex
          • Jun 2020

Are here any others like me who watch this nice movie in 2020 during all this chaos in the world?

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"