X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

This is a World War II film about an army medic who wants to serve his country by joining the military but refuses to pick up a gun. Although ostracised by nearly everyone around him he eventually distinguishes himself through great bravery during the Battle of Okinawa.

I was very disappointed with this film. The reviews suggested it was in the same league as Saving Private Ryan, but it wasn’t a patch on that fine film. The best adjectives I can find are cheesy, corny, clichéd, and hackneyed.

Worst of all, the action scenes are unconvincing, being a cross between a zombie movie and an Xbox shoot-em-up game. I haven’t been in a firefight but after watching Saving Private Ryan I know I don’t want to be. Hacksaw Ridge just doesn’t compare. There are two particularly ridiculous scenes. <spoiler alert> In one scene an American soldier picks up a dead torso to use as a shield and runs at the enemy firing his automatic rifle from the hip. In another scene an injured American sergeant is dragged along the ground to safety by a comrade while firing his M3A1 Grease Gun at the enemy, killing about a dozen of them. So silly.

The casting is poor too. Vince Vaughn does a very unconvincing job playing Sergeant Howell. In one scene he has been lying injured in a shell hole for 24 hours. He looks and acts like he has just left his trailer having had a little snooze after enjoying a fine lunch down at Fisherman's Wharf. *4/10

Nigel.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Another reason why I don't watch movies anymore. I pretty much stick to TV series now for my 'adult' entertainment.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"