X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Holiday movies

It’s the middle of summer here in New Zealand, I’m on holiday, and I’m staying up late and watching lots of movies. Titles of interest include the following:

Anthropoid (2016) – A World War II film about a small team of Czech nationals parachuted into Prague in 1942 to assassinate senior SS officer Reinhard Heydrich (nickname: “the butcher of Prague”). Anthropoid, which was the codename for the operation, was the only successful assassination of a senior Nazi leader during World War II. *7/10

The Light Between Oceans (2016) – A 1920s drama about a married couple living in a remote lighthouse who find a baby girl floating in a dinghy with her deceased father. The wife has previously had difficulty conceiving, so what to do? *7/10

The Girl With All The Gifts (2016) – A futuristic post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie about a little girl with exceptional gifts. This is the only zombie-ish film I have ever watched because I dislike the genre. Due to its brilliant first 30 minutes it scores… *8/10.

The Accountant (2016) – An action/drama about a multi-skilled man who provides special accounting services for criminal gangs. Fairly predictable stuff. *6/10

White Christmas [Black Mirror] (2014) – This is the 2014 Christmas special of the excellent TV sci-fi series Black Mirror. It’s set in a futuristic world where people can have reality devices implanted in their eyes (which allows their visual pictures to be viewed remotely), and people’s personalities can be copied and inserted into electronic devices. Excellent and original. *9/10

Sully (2016) – A drama about Chesley Sullenberger, the pilot who became a hero after he landed a damaged passenger jet on the Hudson River. Solid if somewhat predictable.*7/10

Deepwater Horizon (2016) – A drama about the disaster in 2010 when the offshore drilling rig Deepwater Horizon exploded and created the worst oil spill in US history. Interesting, and good action too. *7/10

Idiocracy (2006) – A comedy set 500 years in the future. One reviewer said it was like living in the US under Trump, which sparked my interest. I hope that’s not the case because it was imbecilic and lasted 15 minutes before I switched it off. *1/10

Absolutely Fabulous, The Movie (2016) – A comedy based on the British TV series of the same name. Predictable but good fun. *6/10

Nigel.
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"