X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Les Miserables

This one absolutely deserves its own write-up.

For anyone not familiar with this story, it's based on a book by Victor Hugo, set during the ongoing French Revolution in the early 1800's. It's a story of pain, anguish, justice, grace, damnation, sacrifice, love, and redemption. Has been performed in many different formats on TV, movies, and the stage, including the popular Broadway show. This movie takes the Broadway show and puts it to film (again), much in the same way "Phantom of the Opera" was a few years ago.

This one is EXCEPTIONAL. Purely EXCEPTIONAL. I started the film with a lot of skepticism--was this just another attempt at raking in cash from a known story? There are so many dangers when you try to re-do a masterpiece, and even MORE dangers when it's a musical. Would it be corny? Would it just try to stand on the merits of the story? Would they try to use famous actors to rake in more cash, at the sacrifice of a good performance, and particularly important, actors whose vocal talents can rise to the demands of such wonderful music? Would it just be a re-hash of that which we've already seen? (for a disclaimer, I've seen Les Mis on Broadway, and own the original cast soundtrack)

My skepticism steadily subsided, as the movie quickly did prove itself as a quality production. Right off the bat, Hugh Jackman looked amazing as Jean Valjean as a haggard prisoner. The casting turned out to be wonderful. I was worried about Hugh Jackman, but he not only acted his part wonderfully, his voice definitely fit the bill. Amanda Seyfried was fantastic as Cosette, Samantha Barks was an amazing Eponine, and the movie hooked me for good when Anne Hathaway did "I Dreamed A Dream". She turned in a stellar performance as Fantine, and when she sang, I could feel the anguish and pain in her voice. Any of the song performances easily could have been "show-tuney", but they were real, raw, and visceral. Eponine's solo of "On My Own" broke me down, and I just about lost it in the theater, literally shaking in my seat, as they transitioned to the reprise of "One Day More". Beyond beautiful.

IMHO, the finest performance from the movie, though, the actor that blew me away more than any other, was the young boy that played Marius, who is the suitor pursuing Cosette. Played by Eddie Redmayne, he is largely an unknown, but I was floored by his performance. Even Sacha Baren Cohen (who I was really skeptical of being included) and Helena Bonham Carter fit well. Honestly, the only person that I was disappointed by was Russell Crowe. He did a SUPERB job of acting the role of Javert, and I would say his voice was "solid" in his singing. But his voice lacks a level of power that I think was needed in some of the songs, particularly in the demanding music of Les Mis. Nothing bad, but it just didn't rise to the level of excellence that the other singers and the film itself had. (and even his own acting, which was again, wonderful)

Little trivia fact--something that I think REALLY added to things is that every song was sung live on set, during filming. This is in contrast to what usually happens, of the cast recording in a studio months before filming, then lip-synching to the playback of their own singing during filming. This approach had to be incredibly difficult, but added to an obvious realism, that enhanced the feel.

A note of warning--this movie is not for you, if you have been crafted by years of modern films capped at 100 minutes length, shaky cams that continually cut away in scenes, storylines that rush along, superficial plots, etc. This story takes its time, developing characters and their souls, and you have to pay attention not only to the performance, but what each character is singing as their life evolves. In fact, for some reason, the producers even added at least one original song, (maybe more) not included in the original stage show. I'm not quite sure why, as I don't think it was necessary, and it partially lagged in the middle of the 2nd/3rd act. (another similarity--the recent "Phantom" film also added extra songs) But if you are someone that can appreciate a truly artistic and deep, developed performance, you are going to love this film.

No doubt, a full :5: out of :5: Those of you who know me, know the significance of me rating and reviewing this as such--I would confidently say that this is the finest film performance I've ever seen of a stage show. That includes "Phantom", which I consider to be a superior play, and loved the latest film version of that as well. This is also the finest film I've seen for several years. I'll absolutely be purchasing it in HD Blu-Ray as well, and look forward to the high-rez audio in my theater. I'm curious how I'll like a 2nd watch of the film as well.

I can't recommend this highly enough.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Excellent write up, Chris. I've been hearing and reading so many good things about this film that I plan to go see it at the local crappy cinema. Not many films can get me to do that. And like you, I will want to own the blu-ray when it is released. There's a lot of Oscar buzz on this one, too.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

If we actually had a good theater around here I'd definitely take Diana to see this one. Unfortunately our theaters are complete crap so I'll just wait for Blu-ray.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

This write up has me more interested to see it than I would have been. May have to give it a look w/the lady.
        -Chuck

Comment

• kcsun
          • Jan 2012

My wife got the hd blu ray for Crimble, not had time to watch it yet though

Another one that is superb in hd blu ray is the latest version of the Nutcracker (sound is truely awesome in DTS masterHD)

kc
          Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
          B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

kc, that's the 25th anniversary concert of the broadway show, which apparently is the cast standing on stage and singing the songs in concert, not acting out the play. I hear that disc is excellent! The movie I'm referring to, though, was just released in theaters, and is a full-length feature film. Not available on BD yet:

I'm a bit surprised that it's not receiving higher ratings from critics and the public, but honestly it doesn't overly surprise me. This is not necessarily a film that appeals to the masses and Joe 6-Pack. (but I think if they took the time to appreciate what it really is, they would!) It's not artsy-fartsy-hoity-toity, but it definitely is a work of art. The general public may not have an appreciation for Broadway musicals like they do for "Die Hard" or "Star Wars", but lots of people do still like them. Lots of people can't even sit still for more than 110 minutes at a time. (in the theater, about that point, there were lots of sighs from people, and several left to go to the bathroom. I noticed the same thing in the LOTR movies)

I'm also reading opinions that echo my thoughts of Russell Crowe's singing, but others are actually even more critical of the singing from the rest of the cast.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David G
              • Jan 2005

Having read the book during my late teens, a book that changed me as a man, and seen the Australian version of the musical I've been really excited about this film, yet also worried that it may have been a disaster that might have destroyed the special place this story holds in my heart.

Thanks for a great review, will definitely now be seeing it in the next 2 weeks.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Yeah, David, that's always the danger with re-doing great works, whether they're books, movies, plays, songs, or whatever. You always run the risk of not living up to the standards of the original. I guess another discussion would be whether the movie is better than the book or Broadway show. I've never read the book, but as far as the show--I dunno... I might have to say I still liked the show better.

I keep thinking about how to express this particular "not for every Joe 6 Pack" thing. Maybe it's like saying that a Ferrari isn't for everyone. People generally accept that a Ferrari is a great work. But put a bunch of Joe 6-Packs behind the wheel of a Ferrari, and then ask for their review ratings. Some will love it. But for the average Joe, some just won't have an idea what they're experiencing, and won't have an appreciation for it. You'll hear, "this is horrible--the engine is so noisy! Even my Ford Focus has a quieter engine!" And "The ride is so rough! For a $150,000 car, I would expect a smoother ride like my Lincoln Towncar!" And "It's way too sensitive! Why can't they make the clutch and steering smoother like my Dodge Stratus?" Of course, probably 20% of the average Joe 6-packs wouldn't be able to handle the car and would wreck it, then say, "that's way too much car for me. I hate it." But those people who are able to truly appreciate the Ferrari for what it is, will LOVE it.

It's the same thing with many great works, and I think it's true to a degree of this film of "Les Mis". Other great works are great *AND* appeal to a broad base, like "The Matrix".
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I believe that Les Mis is really for hardcore musical theater/cinema fans. I doubt if many Joe 6pack's would sit through a movie where plot and characterization is revealed through words and song. However, if there is a Joe 6pack opera lover out there, I'm sure he will love Les Mis.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I'm really interested to hear y'alls opinions when you see it.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David G
                      • Jan 2005

I finally had a chance to see Les Miz last week.
                      Overall, I enjoyed it very much.

Those who appreciate a good musical, great songs and are familiar with the story will especially enjoy it.
                      However, I can understand that some will find it too long and depressing and be turned off with the almost complete lack of spoken dialogue.

Visually it was stunning, beautifully grand and intimate.

Excellent acting all round. Hugh Jackman certainly deserved the Golden Globe.

The singing is more raw and emotional, yet technically not up to the standard of say, the London Cast recording of the musical. Russell Crowe was the weakest link. With a better singer in his role, I think the film would have been close to perfection.

Incidently, the priest was played by Colm Wilkinson, the actor/singer who played Jean Valjean in the London musical. His version of Bring Him Home is one of my all time favorite songs.

Les Misérables 10th Anniversary Concert at the Royal Albert HallColm Wilkinson (Valjean)Conductor: David Charles AbellOrchestra: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
                      Last edited by David G; 17 January 2013, 08:17 Thursday.

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

I'm personally afraid of musicals!. Been burned too many times by them!!.
                        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Now that this film has been released on DVD and BluRay, I'm VERY interested to hear from other people that watch it and see what they think of it.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"