X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

The Dark Knight Rises (spoiler-free)

I want to be spoiler free in my comments, so I'll say this: if you liked the first two, you will not be let down by this one. Not perfect (The Joker is a more compelling character, in my opinion, than anyone found in the third film and the story could have used a bit of judicious editing for pacing purposes--I have no problems with lengthy films as a general rule) but still very satisfying.

Will definitely catch it again (next week, most likely) in IMAX 15/70 (that is the term I've seen lately online to describe a "real" IMAX screen) as I'm fortunate enough to live near such a cinema.

Of course, the BD release will likely raise the same controversy as last time with changing aspect ratios in the film (I've read 72 mins are in IMAX this time vs 28 or so in the last one), though I'm quite fine with them.

Also, I recommend re-watching the first two as there are many "call-back" elements in the third film and everything ties nicely together if the first two films are fresh in your mind.
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Thanks for the review. Was planning to watch the first two after, but now it sounds best to screen those before we go see the new one.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Definitely better to watch them first. I'm quite glad I did that last week.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

If nothing else, you get a movie marathon, and the first two in this trilogy are SO good to watch. I just re-watched the 2nd one a week or so ago, and had forgotten just how good it really was.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Saw this again today in IMAX 15/70 (the "real" IMAX). Very much worth catching in that format if it is within reach of your area. And I enjoyed it more the second time around.

Comment

• Sharp 1080
            • Dec 2009

I had to go back and watch Batman begins after watching The Dark Knight Rises. It definitely helps to watch them in sequence. I would love to watch this again in Imax!

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Just saw this in IMAX. It was AWESOME. I think I prefer the second of the trilogy better, but this one was very well done. I really love the "feel" that Christopher Nolan has put on the Batman films. They're serious works, not campy, not ridiculous, (WTF was that one with Mr. Freeze?) and convey a strong intensity.

Seeing it in IMAX was definitely worth it, with a very good sound system. There's some great sound in it, and strong bass. Even still, I could have tuned the system better. The bass was "boomy" around a particular frequency.

At first, I really thought Nolan killed off Bruce Wayne. Was pleasantly surprised when he was shown alive there in the end. And I like this Robin setup, instead of him just coming from the circus.

Thought Tom Hardy did a great job as Bane. And of course, Anne Hathaway is incredibly hot in her outfits.

Some slow parts, but I appreciate that Nolan took the time for plot development. I can definitely see those that DON'T appreciate great works, and only want a 90 minute action film, are going to like this one less, and say it was too long and too slow. I really liked it. :45: out of :5:
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

I'll definitely be spinning this on Blu ray when it comes out!!.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Do yourself a favour and catch the IMAX at Banque Scotia Cinema on Ste. Catherine Street. You won't regret it.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                    • Jan 2006

Loved it though not as good as TDK IMO. I still found Bane's dialog tough to decipher at times and I thought it was odd his voice would jump up an octave sort of mad scientist like. I also don't understand Nolan's decision to jump 8 years since the last movie.
                    I've watched it twice and both times it was IMAX. I like how Nolan wrapped it up it, left several directions they(WB) can take the franchise.

Comment

• Silver1omo
                      • Sep 2010

I finally watched it and I'm seriously disappointed...
                      Ivan.
                      My Statement monitors

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Really? I'm really surprised. I thought you'd like it, Silver! What about it disappointed you?
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Silver1omo
                          • Sep 2010

Well, I know this is supposed to be the last of the trilogy but killing Talia means no Damian Wayne, Bruce retiring? come on... The whole Talia & Bane relation/origin is a mess
                          Ignoring the DC canon (that can change any day) it is quite enjoyable, but they mess too much with a too many things.
                          Ivan.
                          My Statement monitors

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

I actually like that the movies "ignore" (or, really, pick and choose) from the comic book "canon". Any adaptation of a literary source for film has to do so to some extent, whether from Bronte or from Bob Kane (I did not make the Shakespeare reference because it is possible to do a film version of the integral text of any play--even if it is not often done).

Too close to "canon" would make casual viewers scratch their heads and say "did I miss something" and would also create disappointment among the hardcore "canonistas" simply because there is no pleasing such people as a collective.

To do the Bruce/Talia canonical story any justice would require a multiyear TV series or, at the very least, a multipart mini-series in the 8-10 episode range, a la Game of Thrones or something similar, especially if you want to include the child. Perhaps as an animated series it could be done fairly easily but in the scope of theatrical films, the way Nolan adapted the Ra's/Talia story worked just fine to me--and Bane's relationship to Talia was pretty straightfoward, in my view.

Comment

• Silver1omo
                              • Sep 2010

That is true, ignoring all background it was good. Not as good as the first 2, but good.
                              I still think that removing all "paranormal" stuff from stories can be bad, I mean they killed Ra's in the first movie. In Troya the gods are entirely removed, it works, but I still miss them and missed Ra's('s?) immortality.
                              Ivan.
                              My Statement monitors

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

I agree--that's true. I can see them diverging from the various Batman storylines or universes here, to create a new storyline that re-defines who Robin is, and the future of Bruce Wayne and Batman. (or Nightwing?) Not being a die-hard comic fan myself, I appreciate that they're at least rooted in certain storyline principles, and I look forward to the direction that a GOOD director takes it. (please... no more silly Arnold Mr. Freezinator!)
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                  • Sep 2010

Yup, please do not bring back the nipple batsuit or the green Bane or the neon batcar or the bat credit card...
                                  Ivan.
                                  My Statement monitors

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

I forget--was Bane in that one too, as a sidekick of Poison Ivy?
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                                      I forget--was Bane in that one too, as a sidekick of Poison Ivy?
                                      Yes, I don't remember the details and don't want to...
                                      Ivan.
                                      My Statement monitors

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                        • Jan 2006

Man Batman & Robin was on the other day & I thought maybe it's not as bad as I remember.......... Wow was I wrong. It amazes me that while making this film no one, not one person said "Holy F'ing S^%! This has to be the worst movie ever made!!"

There obviously was enough money and Clooney is an alright actor but there is no saving a film from a horrible script. Apparently this one was all about raking in money.

So I'm here to warn/save all of you DO NOT! I Repeat DO NOT! watch Batman & Robin again or ever if you haven't seen it !

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Heheheee... I actually kinda liked that one. The Riddler was my favorite villan of the Batman series, and I think Carrey actually did a good job. But no, I was not a huge fan of Clooney as Batman. For that matter, (and I know this will ruffle some feathers) I didn't like Keaton as Batman. He's Mr. Mom. Val Kilmer was my favorite Batman, until Bale came along. Whoever's next has big shoes to fill.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

For me, this movie will forever be tarnished by what happened in Colorado. I just don't think I could see it and enjoy it, even if I was a big Batman fan, which honestly, I am not.
                                            Doug
                                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

You know, at first I wondered the same thing about the Matrix, which came us right before Columbine, with the trench coats and heavy weaponry. The first time I watched the Matrix, that was on my mind, especially the scene where they storm the building lobby. But that concern rapidly faded, and the Matrix is one of my all-time favorite movies.

When I watched Dark Knight, it only briefly crossed my mind, and honestly didn't ruin my experience at all. What that madman did has no part of the movie. And I grew up in Colorado, living in Aurora at one time, and with ties to Columbine.
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"