X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

A Question On "America: The Story Of Us"

We've been following the series on the History Channel titled America: The Story Of Us with interest. We just finished the episode leading up to the start of the Civil War and I have a question.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ISN'T IN ANY WAY TRYING TO BE INFLAMMATORY. I WOULD LIKE INFORMED AND TOLERANT DISCUSSION ONLY. ANYTHING ELSE AND I'LL DELETE THE ENTIRE THREAD.

Growing up, I remember being taught in American history class that the overall cause of the South seceding from the Union was over the presumed loss of the individual "states' rights". That the states making up the South would be told by the North what was legal and what was not, and also how to administer their own individual governments under the umbrella of the Federal government. As I understand it, the largest part of the "states' rights" issue did involve the question of slavery, but that wasn't the only thing that spurred the two factions to war.

This episode put it that the hideous practice was the only motivating factor. Did you learn the same or something different?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I learned the same historically accurate things you did. I also lived in the South for 30 years and can state that the History (Discovery , A&E , Bravo) channels get it wrong more often than not. It's fine programming , but not accurate enough to get to be called the "Learning Channel"-which is the worst of all.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• technodanvan
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

I believe you're right David, and it wasn't all that long ago that I learned it that way. (I'm 26)
      - Danny

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

For the sake of clarification , I am not in favor of slavery. That was the talking point that led to our Civil War , but it was a propagandized rallying cry that was intended to drum up support for military action against American citizens.
        And , yes , the practice needed to be stopped even if it meant war.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alaric
          For the sake of clarification , I am not in favor of slavery...
          And , yes , the practice needed to be stopped even if it meant war.
          I agree absolutely.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I've always learned/read that the "incompletely educated" reason behind the Civil War was slavery. The more accurate cause of the war was a disagreement over state rights. The North believed that certain issues could and should be governed by the federal government, such as whether slavery should be legal. Southern states strongly adhered to the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution, which states,

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
            Sound familiar? We are revisiting this very issue today. The Constitution, specifically the 10th Amendment, is being set aside more and more, as we unceasingly surrender more power and freedom to the federal government.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Arizona (among others) seems to be taking the 10th Amendment seriously.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"