X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cinema bob
    • Apr 2005

Charlie and the chocolate factory

I just got back from a prescreening here in Des moines, ia. and i have got to tell you, this film is great. I must admit i went in with low expectations and was immediately immersed in the story. Tim Burton has returned to his Pee wee era of film making and it is all for the best. the ommpa lumpa are hilarious, the acting is great and johnny depp was (as usual) fantastic.
    when i saw the previews i was worried that he had been miscast, but it truly was inspired.

two thumbs way up :T :T
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I'm going to wait for this on DVD. Having seen the original atleast 50+ times growing up, it's going to take something awfully special to top the original.

Glad to see a positive review though.
    ~Nick

Comment

• cinema bob
      • Apr 2005

Man i know what you mean, i really thought that no one could top gene wilder as willy. but i must say that this is different enough to really be worth seeing.
      my wife is a huge Roald Dahl fan, and a fan of the original film. she didn't want to "waste her time" on this one. but the tickets were free (we were in the right place at the right time) and so we went to it. she was into it and laughing almost from the beginning.

in short i do think this is special enough to warrant seeing it in the theater.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I want to see!! :yesnod:
        Jason

Comment

• Sarahbee
          • Jun 2005

<= obviously looking forward to this Thanks for the report!
          "We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it." - Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Nobody gone to see this yet?!?!? I've been hearing many good things! :P
            Jason

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

I haven't seen it, but I thought at first it was literately CHARLIE and the Chocolate Factory.... you know, like what happens after Charlie grows up and what he does with the factory. I thought it could have been a bit interesting like that.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

My family and I seen it this weekend, It was good but really,really weird. I liked Johnny Depp, perfect person for the part, and Tim Burton did a great job. One thing though, is anyone else here getting tired of all the re-makes from the 70's and 80's? Walking through the theatre I seen ads for " The longest Yard" and the "Dukes of Hazzard". I like nostalgia but It seems that Hollywood is grabbing for anything now.
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                  One thing though, is anyone else here getting tired of all the re-makes from the 70's and 80's? Walking through the theatre I seen ads for " The longest Yard" and the "Dukes of Hazzard". I like nostalgia but It seems that Hollywood is grabbing for anything now.
                  They're grasping at straws becuase theatre ticket sales are a fair bit down
                  Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

Yeah, the remakes really bother me. Too often, it's of films that were pretty good the first time round, rather than films where they screwed up. I think someone mentioned quite a while back that J Lo and Ben, when they were together, were thinking of redoing Casablanca!!!

As far as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, both my daughters went to see it and raved about how good it was. My youngest in particular is a Johnny Depp fan and she said he again aced a roll, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. He's a fine actor, especially in quirky rolls.

Isn't he in his early 40's? Sure doesn't look it.
                    Keith

Comment

• Adz
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cinema bob
                      I just got back from a prescreening here in Des moines, ia. and i have got to tell you, this film is great. I must admit i went in with low expectations and was immediately immersed in the story. Tim Burton has returned to his Pee wee era of film making and it is all for the best. the ommpa lumpa are hilarious, the acting is great and johnny depp was (as usual) fantastic.
                      when i saw the previews i was worried that he had been miscast, but it truly was inspired.

two thumbs way up :T :T
                      Whooaaa!!! I have to tell you I took my family to see the movie today and it was NOT very good at all. It was torturous and Johnny Depp gave a Michael Jackson-esque performance if you get the reference. I thought the Oompah Loompa(s) casting (which were all played by the same person) was a poor choice, and the new songs were really really awful. Maybe its because my wife and I loved the original one so much, but not even close to the Gene Wilder/Jackie Albertson performances. I do understand though that it was closer to the book itself and I did think that Charlie as well as some of the kids casted were entertaining.
                      A big downer for me anyway - sorry Mr. Burton.
                      Adz

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"