• Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

5.1 to 7.1 - match amps?

I'm currently running a 5.1 system with the following:

Rotel RSP-1066 processor
    Rotel RB-1075 120x5 amp

I have Axiom Audio speakers, and a Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer.

I'd like to add a pair of speakers to my rear and make the jump to 7.1

So I need to purchase another 2 channel amp. How important is it to "match" amps? Is it at all?

The new 2 channel amp will power the Axiom M22ti mains, and the RB-1075 will power my center, two surrounds, and the two new rears.

My thinking is that I want the best 2 channel amp I can afford that will be best for music, seeing as how it will only be powering my 2 main speakers.

I'm happy with my RB-1075 (though I've nothing to compare it to, as it's the first separate amp I've ever owned/heard). I was planning to simply get another Rotel, most likely the RB-1080 (200x2).

For the money is the RB-1080 the best choice? Should I get the Rotel so it "matches" my current Rotel amp(Sound-wise as well as looks), or should I look into something else (better for music?)

fyi - a typical RB-1080 can be found barely used for about $700, so that's the price range I'm looking at. I of course don't mind buying a used amp, so long as it's not that old. (1 year +/-)

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'd get the 1080 for the fronts if the budget allows. You won't notice any real world difference with the different power ratings since you'll calibrate them all to the same level anyway (at least you should)

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"