My HT is featured in Home Theater Magazine!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

My HT is featured in Home Theater Magazine!

After reading an article a few months back on tackling the issue of room acoustics I reached out to Gerry Lemay for advice. It took me two emails to thoroughly explain everything about my room and include enough pictures for him to get a decent idea of what my room was like.

I hadn't heard anything for months and then I get a phonecall from a friend this past Saturday saying my room was featured in the November issue under an article titled "Home Theater's Acoustic Report Card" that begins on page 62.

My "Before" did better than I thought, averaging a "B". Following the suggestions laid out an "A" is possible which is good to know.

In the time between when I first emailed Gerry and now I've begun tackling the issue first with the addition of Michael Green's Room Tunes. I'll be adding some damping on the front wall next. I'm looking at using multiple thick wool rugs but will also take a look at the companies products they've recommended.

One thing I won't be able to incorporate is the door that leads to my computer room. In hindsight I should have had the builder put in a pocket door but you live and you learn I guess. I have hung heavy velvet curtains, doubled up to reduce the leakage and returning echo from the area. My concern was not so much to keep sound from the rest of the house but to cut down the echo returning to the room from that area and the curtains do a decent job.

The ceiling tiles they recommend are a touchy subject with the wife but with some persuasion she may come around. One thing she's already ruled out was the addition of a second sub. She couldn't believe the size of the SVS to begin with so a second would be pushing my luck!

Anyway, I thought I'd share it with my fellow Rotel enthusiasts. If this is the wrong forum I'm sure Andrew will move it to the proper forum.

Bill
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Congrat's on the publication and even more so for getting the plan into action:T

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
      • Sep 2003

Congrats! we have a celeb amongst us! :T

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
      GameTracker -My List-
      Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• DelRay
        • Jun 2004

I've got that issue. Your before setup wasn't too bad either. Way to go Bill. Acoustic panels should make a big difference in the sound. Do you plan on using the absorptive pannels on the ceiling? Just wondering.

Comment

• Bill Blank
          • Sep 2002

DelRay,

Thanks for the comments! I've debated using some sort of diffusion tiling on the ceiling above the listening position but haven't quite found something with a high WAF. Michael Green sells "Shutters" that can be used on the ceiling but I'm not sure the Mrs. would be too fond of those either.

I really wish I had the builder put in a pocket door to cover the opening when we were finishing the basement but I didn't know what the room was going to sound like at all at that point.

My next task will be to tackle the issue of adding some absorbtion/damping to the front wall behind the racks, speakers, and TV.

I was surprised to hear that they felt my bass-response was rolled off, I thought it might be too boomy. A second sub is out of the question for this room but I've tweaked my front L&R placement a tad (I'm talking 6" one way or another) and it's made a big difference in their response and getting a more balanced soundstage.

I also took the time to really pay attention to my sub's adjustable phase knob. I measured from 20Hz - 100Hz at each "notch" on the phase control in order to find the flattest setting. It's helped things below the x-over point of 60Hz.

When I emailed Gerry I was hoping for some solid advice at the most. To be featured in the magazine AND get that advice was really cool!

This was my first stab at a dedicated media room with an emphasis on music. I can't wait until our next house where I've got a bigger room and budget to play with...as well as knowledge I'll pick up from here on out.

Bill

Comment

• PiDD
            • Aug 2003

Sure would be nice to see some pics.. for those of us that dont get the mag!

I know I have some serious sound issues and I am always looking for some correction ideas.

Comment

• NHT
              • Mar 2004

Yeah! Lets see some pics!

Comment

• Bill Blank
                • Sep 2002

I'll try to get some pics up on another site so I can post them here. All of the pics I currently have are out-of-date.

I'm by no means whatsoever an expert of any sort. Like most here I'm just an enthusiast that reads as much as I can to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I try to choose components in my (modest) price range as carefully as possible. Then there's a lot of trial and error with placement & settings to get them to sound their best. I'm not quite there yet and likely won't be there 100% in our current house but I'll try to get as close as I can!

Bill

Comment

• Bill Blank
                  • Sep 2002

Photography

Anyone have any suggestions on how to take good pictures of equipment in my not-so-well-lit basement theater? I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and have a tripod.

Thanks,
                  Bill

Comment

• PiDD
                    • Aug 2003

The tripod is key. Do you have a low light or night setting on the camera? Try using that without a flash. The flash on most digital cameras dont have a very long range but you can try using the flash.

If you look at this.

The first picture was taken low light with night setting on. The second picture is with the lights on and a flash. The third picture is with the lights partially turned on with camera on night setting.

Hope to see pics soon!

Comment

• VGuarino
                      • Oct 2004

If you can put an off camera flash, and bounce it off the ceiling, you will get very good results.

If not, you might try difusing the flash with a napkin or white cloth. This may knock down the reflections a bit.

Comment

• greggz
                        • Jun 2002

To take a pic in low light, use a tripod AND the timer function on your camera. The timer allows you to press the button and then the camera to stabilize before it snaps the photo.

(p.s. Do as I say and not as I do. All my photos are pretty fuzzy because I couldn’t follow my own advice. I didn’t have a tripod handy.)
                        Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"