X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taxman48
    • May 2003

rotel 1070 2ch amp

Does anyone have comments on the Rotel RB 1070 2ch amplifier? I was considering buying one but would like some feedback from people that already have it. I will be driving Paradigm monitor 7's for mains. thanks a newbie
  • sdecker
    • Jun 2002

I have a RB-1070 powering my mains(Klipsch KG 5.2's). The amp drives them effortlessly. I highly recommend the 1070 if you are driving effiecent speakers.

Build quality is great and it looks fantastic with my 1055.

earle

Comment

• Dr C
      • Feb 2003

I have a RB-1070 too and it sounds great. Whether this is the amp for you depends on what you intend to do.

In my case, I've been meaning to upgrade my speakers (KEF Codas) to 603s or 604s after hearing what great matches they make with Rotel and thought that 130wpc was enough. However I am now toying with the idea of getting the RB-1080 because of the increased power. So I agree with Earle - if your speakers are efficient or you play at low volumes, go for the RB-1070. If you lust for louder sounds (larger speakers naturally) go for the RB-1080. Either way, my personal preference is to go for the 2 channel amps - even though you may have a Home theatre rig - rather than the multichannel ones because the damping factor is better and your bass sounds better (opening up a Pandora's box here Even if you opt for the RB-1070 and find that its not enough for you, then you could use it for your surround channels in a good multichannel system (which is what I'm considering).

Obviously, the choice of amp in Home theatre will depend on whether you use large or small speaker options you use. My aim has always to use good and loud floorstanders for the fronts - hence the 603/604. My world turned upside down when I heard a demo where they were using 802s for the fronts + other top line stuff. The sound was awesome and bass was fantastic (and I'm not easily impressed). Imagine my surprise when I learnt that the 802s were set to small and they were using 3 sets of subwoofers for the bass of the entire room.

Moral of the story ? Leave the bass and huge power requirements to properly set up subwoofers and concentrate on fine sounding midranges and tweeters.

Cheers - Dr C

Comment

• Mike Hayes
        • Mar 2003

This brings to mind a question I have been pondering. I will be setting my 805s to small crossed over at 60Hz. I am considering a 1055/1070 or 1080 combo. Will the 1070 be enough for the 805s or should I go for the 1080. My funds are limited.

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

The RB1070 is more than adequate to handle a set of 604's. I use a 1070 and B&W 604S3's and the amp keeps them in good control in any situation.

Sure, you can think about getting the 1080, but its twice the price, so you should carefully consider if its needed, but I doubt it is.

The nautilus series of B&W does need the power from the 1080 or better even the 1090.

Comment

• spiffnme
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dr C
            Moral of the story ? Leave the bass and huge power requirements to properly set up subwoofers and concentrate on fine sounding midranges and tweeters.

Cheers - Dr C
            I find this to be true also. I have a pair of Axiom M22ti's, which lack much low end at all, but have the best mids and highs I've heard. Paired with a great sub (mine is the Hsu VTF-2), the sound is amazing. Any time I've ever heard a speaker try to handle the low end on it's own it just doesn't sound as good as letting a good sub do it.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
            All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• luszer
              • Feb 2003

Scarp

I am interested to know if you running 604s and if so do you use a Sub at all for HT. I wasn't planning on a Sub for 2 channel, but wanted to hold off a purchase on a Sub if at all.
              What have you enjoyed about your 604. I currently have a 991 for the fronts and wanted to power either 603 or 604s

Comment

• suyver
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Scarp
                The nautilus series of B&W does need the power from the 1080 or better even the 1090.
                Do you really think that running two N805's requires the power of a 1080 or even a 1090? I can see your point for the full-range speakers but for the small N805? Did you do comparisons between the 1080 and 1070 on a N805?

Cheers,
                Freek.

Check out my home theater!
                Check out my home theater!

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by suyver
                  Originally posted by Scarp
                  Do you really think that running two N805's requires the power of a 1080 or even a 1090? I can see your point for the full-range speakers but for the small N805? Did you do comparisons between the 1080 and 1070 on a N805?
                  Freek, sure the 1070 would be able to power the 805's without problems. Its just that the 1080 and 1090 sound different and in my opinion better than the 1070. I compared the 1070 and the 1090 and the 1090 sounds a lot cleaner, tighter and generally more pleasing to my ears

About 604's, I used a sub, which really is recommended in any case for HT. You will immediatly miss a sub, if you take it away. The 604's are quite deep going speakers, but cannot produce the 20- 40 Hz range.

Comment

• spiffnme
                    • Apr 2003

A good tight/fast sub* will VASTLY improve HT, and also give your music that extra little depth it will lack without one. Other than budget, there's really no reason not to have a sub.

* note I said GOOD sub. A boomy made for HT only and bass junkies isn't going to cut it. As far as I've heard, (and I've heard quite a few) the best sub for you money is going to come from Hsu Research. (www.hsuresearch.com)

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                    All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"