HELP!! Over stepping my bounds (dealer-me-rotel) ?!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hoofhearted
    • Aug 2004

HELP!! Over stepping my bounds (dealer-me-rotel) ?!?!

My other thread was 2 channel bal ?. At this point the rb1090 is either at rotel or on its way there.I am new at this,I would appreciate some advise. I want to be a good doobe (sp). Having slept on my thoughts of my interaction with my dealer (having them ship out the unit for me) I came up with, I feel that there are more layers of management then is needed to get to a problem and a solution. I am trying to explain to someone that knows less then I know (not a judgement of the person) . I work for myself and find if you want an answer that you can understand then ask the right person yourself. So anyway I called Mike at rotel Friday and left a message concerning how they check out the amp. Being it is in for the second time I would like to have the thing fixed and not miss because someone down the chain of command did not think of it. Does anyone know if a technician actually knows if the amp is working right when he is done (does it play real world = source + preamp + amp + speakers) or is it just hook up some meter, record if the measurements are with in specs and call it good enough. It is probably being handled the right way and I am just going on for nothing! So let me know how you guys think about this kind of situation. I don’t want to bother the dealer with being anal about a lousy $2,000.00 amp. but I don't want to keep sending a 90lb amp back to rotel every 3 or 4 months either. ( limited audio budget, $2000.00 is alot of money for me to spend on one componet)
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

As a dealer we have about as much involvement in the process as you do. We fax over a serial number/receipt and get an RMA back. Then we send it off. If the dealer is charging for the shipping then there's not much different, and it would still be smoother having the dealer fax over the info. Mike is the same guy the dealers talk to, so he should be able to make sure everything is cool. If it's still wrong when it comes back, Mike will be the guy to authorize a replacement, whether your dealer asks or you.

Good luck!

Kevin D.

Comment

• hoofhearted
      • Aug 2004

Thanks for reply

Thank you Kevin, I feel better about sitting tight and waiting for the results. This is great, post a question about what to do and someone in the biz replys. I know that Rotel wants its dealers to handle things. My dealer is a couple of good guys, I think they want to help. In the mean time all I have is the amp section in my RX 1050 (100w into 8ohm) hooked up to my RC1090 pre. Bright and in your face but still of a quaility for low volume listening I'm not use to. Thanks again, Robert

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by hoofhearted
        I feel that there are more layers of management then is needed to get to a problem and a solution. I don’t want to bother the dealer with being anal about a lousy $2,000.00 amp. but I don't want to keep sending a 90lb amp back to rotel every 3 or 4 months either. ( limited audio budget, $2000.00 is alot of money for me to spend on one componet)
        This is an example of what is both good and bad about Rotel's way of doing business. Having and relying on a dealer network to interface with customers puts both the customer and Rotel at risk of breakdown in the chain. On the other hand, a knowledgeable and involved dealer can make all the difference in the world in getting the right person's attention.

The back door (through Andrew and this forum) is another avenue of communication that sometimes works and sometimes does not. It still comes down to how consciencios the dealer is. For example I'm still trying to get the BM issue (resistor snips) on my RSP 1066 taken care of and even with Andrew's intervention my dealer still doesn't have a clue what is going on. That is the downside to a dealer network.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• GosonFletchy
          • May 2004

I would have to say that a dealer has a much involvement as they choose to have. I am sure that you can simply fax over some stuff and let the guys at Rotel take care of everything, but if you wanted to go the extra mile and learn more about the process, then it would be benificial for everyone involved. You would look better to your client, you would be helping the Rotel guys to better assist your needs and the needs of your clients. This of course is only my opinion and you can take it for what its worth.

Jerry, if I remember correctly, the BM modification that used to be done, where they removed a couple of the resistors, is no longer necessary since there was bass management added to the later software which made the resistor mod pointless. It has been awhile since I even though about that, but I do believe that it is not necessary now.

G.
          :grab:

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by GosonFletchy
            I would have to say that a dealer has a much involvement as they choose to have. I am sure that you can simply fax over some stuff and let the guys at Rotel take care of everything, but if you wanted to go the extra mile and learn more about the process, then it would be benificial for everyone involved. You would look better to your client, you would be helping the Rotel guys to better assist your needs and the needs of your clients. This of course is only my opinion and you can take it for what its worth.
            No offense, but there isn't much more we can do than send it in and call and check status. I'm a little confused by your comments. My point was that we don't handle any of the repair process, and can only point out the defects that need correcting, call and check status, and make sure the problems got fixed. The same things an end user can accomplish using the same 800 number we use. It just might be better for the dealer to handle these things and not have the consumer worry with it. Can you explain how we can be more involved in the process when we don't handle any portion of the reapir besides checking whats wrong and sending it in???

Kevin D.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
              • May 2004

There are plenty of dealers that actually have a repair center as well. I did not know that yours did not. However, if you have a complete grasp of exactly how a system works, there are plenty of troubleshooting techniques that can be applied before the guys at Rotel are brought in. I don't know how much troubleshooting you do with your customer before you call Rotel, maybe you are doing absolutely as much as you can, but I know that I would be very impressed if I had a problem with my system and called my dealer and they were able to help me solve the problem firsthand. Nothing is worse than having to send your unit in for repair, be without it for a month, then get it back to find out that there was nothing wrong with the unit. That is the portion of troubleshooting that I am refering to. If you already do this and know these units inside and out, then bravo and keep up the good work.

G.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Jerry, if I remember correctly, the BM modification that used to be done, where they removed a couple of the resistors, is no longer necessary since there was bass management added to the later software which made the resistor mod pointless. It has been awhile since I even though about that, but I do believe that it is not necessary now.

G.
                I don't believe this is the case, perhaps someone more knowledgable about the firmware can comment. I have the latest and I still have to kill my sub on multi-input to get rid of the ultra heavy low end. Bringing us back on topic, when I asked my dealer (the owner and their techs) about the mod, nobody had ever heard of it. Their comment was so banal I wouldn't even bother to repeat it. Also, when I was sold my 1066 ...very shortly before the intro of the 1068 I was told by this dealer that there wasn't anything new on the horizon...adding and I quote "and besides, the unit is software upgradeable and Rotel WILL impliment any advances in the future. Of course most of us now know that this was not true since Rotel essentially abandoned the 1066 with several unresolved issues upon release of the 1068 and has additionally has not implimented PLIIx in it as of yet. This weakness in the dealer network chain of communication gives me serious pause towards ever purchasing another Rotel in the future. Which is a shame because I believe Rotel's gear is basically excellent and deserves better representation.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Mark_C.
                  • Jan 2003

DrJRapp:

Lighten up, for Pete's sake. This is a problem you have with the dealer, not Rotel. You can't buy any piece of technical hardware today and expect it to be "future proof.'' There's no such thing as "future proof.'' Technology progresses too quickly. The bottom line is you bought a good quality pre/pro that has been phased out. Deal with it. You could do a lot worse. If you're going to blame Rotel for what your dealer promised, then by all means go with another brand.

P.S. All RSP-1066 models must be modified if you are running "full range'' main speakers and a sub.

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

I don't know how much troubleshooting you do with your customer before you call Rotel, maybe you are doing absolutely as much as you can, but I know that I would be very impressed if I had a problem with my system and called my dealer and they were able to help me solve the problem firsthand.
                    G.
                    Cool.. Just a missunderstanding.. We definitely check everything out and go through a full rundown to make sure we know what the problem is. I guess I was refering more to Hoofhearted's exact situation where there is a known reproduced problem with his bias. We certainly would never send something back based only on a customer's diagnostic skills (no offense to people who can sucessfully diagnose their own stuff..)

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"