X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wng
    • Dec 2002

power line conditioner for 1066/1075

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a power line conditioner for my 1066/1075 set as an upgrade. I realize I could've posted this in the other forums and I'm a little sluggish to do a search on the subject (please forgive me), but I wanted to see what successes you Rotel folks have had with line conditioners. Did they improve your sound and image quality, lower the noise floor, etc.? How much should I spend; does $300 sound about right, and how about the better-known brands like Monster Power or Panamax?
  • Neal_C
    • Feb 2003

I think the best thing you could do for your 1066/1075 is get them their own dedicated 20 amp outlet. I have a Monster 3600, but I plug my 1055/1075 straight into the wall, and let everything else plug into the Monster. I had two 20 amp outlets installed and a whole house surge protector for a little over $200. Best $200 I have spent yet.

Hope this helps,

Neal

Comment

• vfrjim
      • Apr 2003

I would love to have dedicated outlets for all my components, but there is a limit. I understand that a high-power sub needs a 20a outlet and a multichannel highpower amp needs a dedicated 20a outlet, but one for just a preamp? I may as well put a subpanel off my main panel just for my home theater. I just don't think that it is realistic to have so many 20a dedicated circuits.

Jim

Comment

• Neal_C
        • Feb 2003

I don't have one just for the preamp. I have the 1055/1075 plugged into one 20 amp outlet, and the Monster line conditioner plugged into the other outlet. I don't think the 1055 draws enough current being used as a preamp to effect the performance of the 1075. If it did, I would have to be running at reference levels, which I am far from.

I don't think two dedicated outlets is excessive. It probably only cost an extra 30 bucks to have the second one installed.

Neal

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
          • Apr 2003

Check out http://www.pricewheeler.com.

This is the BrickWall surge protector. I like mine.

I have one right now and am planning on adding two more.
          I had three dedicated 20 amp runs installed for my HT.

matt
          Regards,
          Matt

Comment

• Mats
            Special Member
            • Jun 2000

i'm running with a panamax 5300 right now for the 1066/1075... right now both plugged into it- right, wrong or indifferent. i've heard that i should have them both plugged into it, i've heard that i should have the amp plugged straight into the wall, i've heard a couple of other different ditties on this topic.... someone tell me if my current hook-up is ideal or not?

this will be a great thread for me to observe. though i'm in an apartment right now, i think i may get thrown out by the management company if they find out i'm having a special outlet installed!
            Mats
            Mats Strömberg
            Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
            Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Neal_C
              • Feb 2003

You are the only one that can decide if that is the correct hookup or not. It is going to be about how it sounds to you. For me, plugging the amp straight into the wall vs into my Monster line conditioner opened up my midrange a little bit...gave that mid-bass a little more punch. Of course, I went from having it plugged into the monster which was plugged into a 15amp outlet that was on a circuit shared by other outlets to having it plugged straight into a 20 amp outlet that is tied straight to the control box.

The only way you could semi-accurately test in your situation would be to do some critical listening with your current setup, then go to your panel and find out which outlets, light switches, etc go to each circuit. Try to plug your amp into an outlet where it will be the only thing plugged in (ie, unplug all lamps, etc from that outlet for the test). Then do some more critical listening of the same material you listened to before and compare the two. If you notice a better response, then having its own dedicated outlet will be an improvement. If you don't notice a difference, then I would just not worry about it and leave things the way they are.

And look at the bright side...atleast you have added protection for your equipment. That is why I had the whole house surge protector installed at the same time as the circuits.

Neal

Comment

• suyver
                • Dec 2002

I use two APC Line-R's (1250 VA). One for my 1075 power amp, and one for my 1066 pre/pro, the DVD player and my projector. O yeah, and the whole house is also surge-protected again. This was already the case when I moved in.

Freek.

Check out my home theater!
                Check out my home theater!

Comment

• shuang1234
                  • Apr 2003

I have a Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1095. I plan on installing a dedicated 20A circuit for my HT. The RMB-1095 will go into one receptacle and the RSP-1066 (CD, DVD, etc) will go into my existing Monster HTS-3500 Power Center plugged into the other receptacle. Power conditioners such as the Monster are current limited and increase the impedence seen by a high current device such as an amplifier. Question: What is a whole house surge protector? Any recommended brands/models.

Comment

• Neal_C
                    • Feb 2003

Interesting, I posted a reply this morning and now it is gone...so here it is again.

A whole house surge protector is installed either in or near the circuit box, or, if your electric company has them, some can even be installed out at the meter. A whole house surge protector will protect everything in your house that needs electrical current.

Neal

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"