X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • max
    • Aug 2004

ROTEL RSX-1056 Vs MARANTZ SR-8400

I would appreciate if one could articulate the difference between ROTEL 1056 and Marantz 8400. I am also in the market for speakers - I am thinking of the B&W 7 series. Look forward to your input.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Better amplification, warranty, sound quality, this club, software updates...

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Tha Freak
      • Jul 2003

:agree:

and for the B&W serie 7, I think you would need a little bit of power!...

a RB-1075 maybe!??
      - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Other than what Jason says....have you heard either or ?

I think you'll see then.

oh and not to give waway which sounds better....but check out below B&W' speakers.....and what has the best match with B&W..... :lol:
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• theMaximus
          • Jul 2004

My experience with RSX-1056 and B&W 704

I have a similar set up to what you are considering. I initially purchased a Rotel RSX-1056 and B&W 704 after auditioning various Denon, Yamaha, and NAD receivers in the same price range. IMO, 1056 and B&W 704 sounded very good together. I since then purchased a separate Rotel RB-1070 2-channel amp (rated at 130W/channel) to power my 704. It wasn't that I was unhappy with 1056 & 704 combo, but I just thought that 704 could use a little more juice than 75W/channel provided by 1056 (100W/channel in 2-channel mode) and that a separate power amp produced cleaner mid range and tighter bass than using 1056 alone. Also, I now have an option to turn my system into 7.1 system if I wanted to add a couple of rear centers in the future by adding a separate amp. To get you started, RSX-1056 and B&W 705 or 704 would make a very capable system. If you are thinking about 703, you may want to consider getting a separate 2-channel amp with about 200W/channel or more to really do the 703 some justice. One thing to keep in mind is that Rotel is known for being very honest about its power output. When they say 75W/channel, it really gives you 75W/channel or even more. I saw some article about how Denon AVR3805 is rated at 120W/channel but its actual output was about 93W/channel. It is a well known fact that Rotels match up very well with B&W speakers since they are engineered by using one another. Rotel and B&W have very close ties.

I personally don't have any experience with MARANTZ SR-8400, but I can tell you that 1056 is a really good value considering its price. Home Cinema Magazine (British Hi-Fi magazine) recently conducted a group test (July issue) and 1056 beat out Arcam DiVa AVR300, Denon AVR3805, Harman Kardon AVR630, and Yamaha RX-V2400RDS to be the editor's choice. You shouldn't buy an equipment solely based on reviews, but it may give you some ideas about what the so called "experts" are saying about the gear you are considering. You really should audition both receivers using the speaker you want to buy and go with what your ears tell you to buy.
          Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by theMaximus
            I have a similar set up to what you are considering. I initially purchased a Rotel RSX-1056 and B&W 704 after auditioning various Denon, Yamaha, and NAD receivers in the same price range. IMO, 1056 and B&W 704 sounded very good together. I since then purchased a separate Rotel RB-1070 2-channel amp (rated at 130W/channel) to power my 704. It wasn't that I was unhappy with 1056 & 704 combo, but I just thought that 704 could use a little more juice than 75W/channel provided by 1056 (100W/channel in 2-channel mode) and that a separate power amp produced cleaner mid range and tighter bass than using 1056 alone. Also, I now have an option to turn my system into 7.1 system if I wanted to add a couple of rear centers in the future by adding a separate amp. To get you started, RSX-1056 and B&W 705 or 704 would make a very capable system. If you are thinking about 703, you may want to consider getting a separate 2-channel amp with about 200W/channel or more to really do the 703 some justice. One thing to keep in mind is that Rotel is known for being very honest about its power output. When they say 75W/channel, it really gives you 75W/channel or even more. I saw some article about how Denon AVR3805 is rated at 120W/channel but its actual output was about 93W/channel. It is a well known fact that Rotels match up very well with B&W speakers since they are engineered by using one another. Rotel and B&W have very close ties.

I personally don't have any experience with MARANTZ SR-8400, but I can tell you that 1056 is a really good value considering its price. Home Cinema Magazine (British Hi-Fi magazine) recently conducted a group test (July issue) and 1056 beat out Arcam DiVa AVR300, Denon AVR3805, Harman Kardon AVR630, and Yamaha RX-V2400RDS to be the editor's choice. You shouldn't buy an equipment solely based on reviews, but it may give you some ideas about what the so called "experts" are saying about the gear you are considering. You really should audition both receivers using the speaker you want to buy and go with what your ears tell you to buy.

Well said and well written and that pretty much says it all!

I couldn`t agree with you more....

:T
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• mattburk
              • Feb 2003

I am a rotel fan. My first step into the hifi world was with the rotel rmb 1075 and rotel 1066. I wanted to get an all in one avr for space reasons, so I considered the rsx1056/1067 and the marantz sr-8400. I ended up with the 8400. I recommend comparing them side by side if you can. I ended up with the marantz for various reasons: 1. 7.1 + zone two power 2. Headphone Jack with true surround system. 3. Sound was similar as far as quality in my opinion. The sound is different, but both are good. Marantz is a warmer sound, but still detailed. I would say the sound of my rotel separates was better, but it should be considering the cost difference.
              Marantz amps are good too.
              For good sound I would say you narrowed it down to the right two receivers. If you can wait a few months the Marantz 9500 is going to be out with hdmi switching and automatic acoustic calibration.

You really can't go wrong with either. I love the rotel sound.
              www.mycstone.com
              www.coverednow.com
              www.biarenton.com

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"