X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alkaline6
    • Nov 2003

Music Listening 101

Hi everyone,

As a recent convert to the home theatre world (long time 2ch music listener), I find myself somewhat unqualified to properly configure my RSP 1068. Speaking for myself and other new members, I would like to propose the creation of several primers for 'listening to music', 'listening to movies', et al, where the more experienced forum members can share their knowledge/experiences.

My own questions primarily involve listening to music (LP's, CD's and SACD's), for example:
    - setup options for listening to my LP/CD's and advantages / disadvantages of each
    - a response an early post re. listening to CD's, mentioned listening in 'bypass' mode to bypass the digital processing. Does this mean the 'multi input' mode vs. the PCM 2ch?
    - how to adjust bass output levels across the various inputs and listening modes
    - calibrating the RSP 1068 inconjunction with various input devices and how to use the RSP 1068 to overcome deficiencies in those devices

If this information is already available (I did look), please accept my apologies and pass along the location.

Regards,

Don
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Don

My own questions primarily involve listening to music (LP's, CD's and SACD's), for example:
    - setup options for listening to my LP/CD's and advantages / disadvantages of each
    - a response an early post re. listening to CD's, mentioned listening in 'bypass' mode to bypass the digital processing. Does this mean the 'multi input' mode vs. the PCM 2ch?
    - how to adjust bass output levels across the various inputs and listening modes
    - calibrating the RSP 1068 in conjunction with various input devices and how to use the RSP 1068 to overcome deficiencies in those devices
    Some thoughts for you:
    • The RSP-1068 (like most good pre-processors) has an Analogue Bypass mode whereby the analogue signal is passed without being digitised etc through the processor.
    • Analogue Bypass is very good for high quality analogue sources, since you don't have the slight degradation from being digitised, processed and then converted back to analogue again.
    • However Analogue Bypass is limited in that no bass processing is done (i.e. no subwoofer) and no speaker delays, multi-channel sound like Dolby ProLogic IIx etc.
    • All your normal devices like CDs, Tuners etc will have a stereo input as well as an optional Digital input - Connect both if you have them.
    • For your normal devices you can program the default sound mode and source (e.g. Analogue and Bypass Stereo, or Digital and Stereo, Digital and Dolby IIx Music etc. You can switch between these using the Dig Sel key on the remote if you like.
    • The 7.1 Multi-input is pure analogue - that is it is not digitised and only has simple (fixed 100 Hz) bass processing as an option.
    • The menus for ADVANCED SPEAKER set-up and SUBWOOFER set-up let you tailor the sound preferences a lot for different types of material.
    • The menus for INPUT lets you select the default sound mode for Stereo input processing for each device.
    • Your CDs can be listened to using a Digital or Analogue connection. Which you chose depends on the quality of your CD player, and how much you would use pure stereo. Once you do any processing at all of the sound – you will be better off with a digital connection (by an good Coax). I have both connected (as two separate devices) so I can listen to pure analogue stereo and digitally processed sound like Prologic IIx Music.
    • For LPs depending on your phono cartridge you may need to by a separate Phone Preamp and plug this in to get the level up to a line input on the RSP-1068.

Read the manual several times (it is available on-line HERE if you need it. It will start to make sense after a while...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"