This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Posting some updated pics of my system (iteration 3...).

Includes Rotel RSP-1068, and my newly aquired RMB-1075. I love the look of the matching amp (not to mention the sound). Also shown are Onkyo DV-SP1000 and Panamax MAX 5100 power conditioner.
    Attached Files
    Brad

Comment

• spinners
      • Feb 2006

Thanks Drsiebling,

Gonna add RCD 1072 very soon. Damn, I like Rotel, makes me wanna even upgrade more.
      RSX1056, RB1070, RDV1050, RCD 1072, Dali IKON 2, 2x REL Quake II

Comment

• ghostbuster
        • May 2003

this is my set...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ghostbuster; 17 March 2006, 11:30 Friday.

Comment

• Elmac
          • Apr 2004

Very nice setup Kevin looks really good and welcome
          Elmac
          All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• weijst
            • Jun 2004

Recently got a new camera. Can anyone here think of a more appropriate 'guinea pig'...?
            Attached Files
            Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• alpina
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by PiDD
              Nothing on the site .. but its super easy to do...

1. Order the glass - 3/8" for everthing but the 1095, for that one I used 1/2". when you order ask then to dry sand one edge. This will give the lighting effect you want.

Hi Pidd,

just out of curiousity, is the dry sand edge the edge closest to the led's or futhermost?

thanks,

julie
              My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• drsiebling
                • Jan 2006

A minor change...

Here's the new setup with new Plasma screen... My room is now so much more comfortable to be in without that frickin' huge RPTV...

Enjoy!

-Ben

Comment

• shadow
                  • Dec 2003

What make and size of screen do you now have?

Comment

• drsiebling
                    • Jan 2006

That's a Pioneer Elite Pro-1130HD 50"

If you are in the market for a plasma, I can wholeheartedly recommend it without hesitation!

-Ben

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Oh Ben!!! Very Nice!
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Matty
                        • Mar 2006

Pride and joy

Heres my first ever home HT soon to have the speakes replaced with B&W 703, HTM 7, 705, 2X ASW 750
                        Attached Files

Comment

• grit
                          • Jan 2005

Hey Matty, before you make your purchase, there are several threads in the B&W area you should read about the HTM7 not matching the 703's very well (the 705's dont match either). Just something you should be aware of before you buy.

Comment

• Matty
                            • Mar 2006

?????????

I heard that the HTM7 does match but my budget can not strech far enough for the HTM3 center. I am thrying to save enough so it does but only time will tell.

As for the 705's how is it that they dont match??? What would be the match for the 703's.

I am set on getting the 703's I have heard them and love them and they are as far as my budget can go.

What would be your recommendation on the best match for the 703's i dont want to make a purchase that i will only wish that I had spent a little extra money and got the best match.

Thanking you in advance
                            matty 8O

Comment

• weijst
                              • Jun 2004

Ofcourse five 703's would be perfect, but this holds up more for multi channel music. For movies I believe the 705 will do just fine for surround duty. Same holds up for the 800 series. A lot of people are using 805's with 804S or higher.

I myself would rather invest more money in better fronts (L and R) instead of getting anything higher than the DM601 for surround duty, which, in your case, would mean getting 804S with DM601 S3... Than again I use my surrounds mainly for surround effects in movies.
                              Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Kens1
                                • Mar 2005

Nice set up matty! Your TV stand fits those Rotel pieces perfectly. :T

Comment

• grit
                                  • Jan 2005

Matty,

The 704's, htm7, and 705's all match very well. The 703's sound better due to the FST midrange and different ranged crossover. Unfortunately, nothing else in the 700 line has that driver or crossover.

This is very important (and a bit simplified): If you do NOT sit down and close your eyes when you listen to music (or otherwise "critically" listen to music), you should focus on the HT side of things. I'd recommend the 703's alone for 2-ch music if you're a critical music listener.

If you're looking at mostly movies, you really want the front speaker to be your most important. The majority of sound comes from it. As sound pans from left to right, the L/R front speakers will kick in. In order for the sound to be believeable, you'll want those speakers to match the center as closely as possible. This is important too... you want them to be as close as possible to the same height. The center will usually end up lower or higher; try to angle it a bit toward the listeners.

So, assuming you're listening to music casually and we're focusing on HT, you'll probably want the best matching sound possible. I'd wholeheartedly recommend you get 4 705's on stands and an HTM7 with either a single ASW750 or twin ASW700s (depending on how big your room is, including any open area or vaulted ceilings). I think you'd be quite impressed with 705's and a sub to back them up for casual music.

I've owned 703's, htm7, 705's, and an ASW700. I only have the ASW700 left now. If I were to build the system over again (in the 700 series), I would *NOT* get the 703's. They sounded very mismatched with the htm7 and that was the initial reason I upgraded (after 1 year). For a long time, I thought the 703's were louder (even though I used a sound pressure meter to calibrate them several times). Turns out my version of "louder" was because they are "brighter" (or "clearer" to most people's ear) than the HTM7.

As someone else pointed out, the surrounds are less critical and thusly easier to mismatch. However, after lots of playing, research, testing, etc, I would have gotten the DS7's instead (for HT). I even demoed the DS7's when I bought the 705's IN MY HOME. I bought the 705's instead and later regretted it. They're much harder to get a satisfying surround sound from in a home environment.

So, match the front 3 as close as possible. When you test/compare the speakers, don't use music if this system is mostly for home theater. Use a movie. Use several movies. Pay attention to the dialog, that's the most important part of a movie. If you are interested in how the music will sound, listen to it how you will at home. If you listen to music while you are walking around the house, walk around the room in which you are testing the music. Listen at the same sound levels you would at home. It's VERY easy to get caught up in how great a system can sound, but be sure to test it in the same way you'll use it.

I sincerely hope you make a decission that makes you very happy and allows you to enjoy your new equipment. I learned SO MUCH after buying mine, and it changed my life. I now sit down and listen to music several times a week for an hour or so. Its my main form of relaxing after work. My old system allowed me to develop an appreciation for 2-ch music I did not previously have. Even my taste in music has changed because of it. And I'd gladly give up any HT quality now to have better 2-ch sound. Which reminds me, the 700 series really doesnt lend itself well to having a system that can be great at 2-ch stereo AND at 5.1 surround. This is the flaw of the 700 series. If they made an HTM7F or something with that same FST and crossover as the 703's, I probably would not have upgraded.

Comment

• grit
                                    • Jan 2005

I'll throw out another recommendation... one that was given to me and I'd wished I'd followed. Buy the best front L/R speakers you can. That will give you the best 2-ch music (I'm thinking 804's). And that's all. You'd be surprised at how good a 2-ch system can sound for HT. As time goes on and you can afford it, add a center channel. Then later add your surrounds.

As I said, I wasn't able to do that and believed I wouldn't be happy. Looking back, I wish I'd done just that. Then again, that applies *IF* you are *serious* about listening to music. If you don't take time out of your day to listen, I'm guessing it'd be overkill for you to just get 2 really good front speakers.

In short, put your money where it will make YOU the happiest!

Comment

• Matty
                                      • Mar 2006

Mate has that thrown a spanner in the works. I do take time from my day (nealy every day) to sit down and listen to music. Like you i use it to relax at the end of a day. So it would be safe to say that music is paramount and home theather is secondary. But i am getting in to multi channel, but I manly listen in to channel I personaly think it sounds better. As far as HT goes i run at the moment two different klipsch modles RC35 for a center and SF2's for mains and sourrounds. and when i use it for HT it does not bother me.
                                      But I want better than what I got (dont we all) so I am wanting to B&W love there sound. I have a pair of DM600S3 and fell in love with the B&W sound. what would be the best setup in your mind. Im confused. were I live in far north Queensland (australia) All my local shop has is a pair of 704's 705's and 805's I have to travel over 1400KM to listen to a full setup of 700's or 800's.

So im relying alot on advice from others and very very limited listening to the prouduct.

Comment

• alpina
                                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by grit
                                        I'll throw out another recommendation... one that was given to me and I'd wished I'd followed. Buy the best front L/R speakers you can. That will give you the best 2-ch music (I'm thinking 804's). And that's all. You'd be surprised at how good a 2-ch system can sound for HT. As time goes on and you can afford it, add a center channel. Then later add your surrounds.

this is indeed a very expensive hobby you boys have. we thought we were breaking the bank by looking at the 703s

if for some reason insanity sets it between now and our purchase, how will 804s with htm3s with 705s with aws750 match up? for comparison purposes we are now seriously considering 703s with htm4s with 705s and aws750.

cheers,

julie

ps. sorry for throwing in a b&w question on a thead dedicated to rotel picture
                                        My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• DelRay
                                          • Jun 2004

Picture of my rack.

Comment

• bob4mvg
                                            • Mar 2005

Here's my setup. No rack, but table works fine too. Thought it was about time I posted a pic of my Rotel!
                                            RSX1067
                                            RCC1055 CD
                                            RDV1050
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Joey_V
                                              • Jul 2005

Dr. Siebling,

I swear, I'm going to get floors like that one day...
                                              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• hifisponge
                                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by drsiebling
                                                Here's the new setup with new Plasma screen... My room is now so much more comfortable to be in without that frickin' huge RPTV...

Enjoy!

-Ben
                                                Ben -

Much better setup now that you have your front speakers out from the corners and symmetrical. With all due respect, I just about had a heart attack when I viewed the pics of your original set-up. 8O Now you just have to get those surrounds placed properly. Optimally, they should be to the sides and slightly behind the main listening position and 2-3 feet above seated ear level. We all have compromises to make, so if you can't do that, at least try to get them set at the same height and pull the right one out of the corner.

With your room configuration, you might even have better results by placing two more 602's at the rear corners of the two main seats.

With that said. I really like your choice of decor. Very handsome.

Cheers,

- Tim

Comment

• drsiebling
                                                  • Jan 2006

Now you just have to get those surrounds placed properly. Optimally, they should be to the sides and slightly behind the main listening position and 2-3 feet above seated ear level. We all have compromises to make, so if you can't do that, at least try to get them set at the same height and pull the right one out of the corner.
                                                  Thanks for the tips, Tim!

The room that is system is in is a real challenge due to the fact that there is no wall on the left side of the room (dining room & kitchen) and a fireplace and a doorway on the right. I'm severely limited on where I can place the surrounds. With that being said, both surrounds are symmetrical with the front speakers and placement from the listening area is pretty ideal with the notable exception of the right speaker which is higher on the wall (that pesky door again!). I think the tri-pole rears really help in this area since, I believe, they create a bit more rear fill. It's currently creating a nice illusion of rear-fill where I'm not noticing sound coming from higher on the wall on the right. So, it's not perfect, but the results are much better than you might expect. I've had most of this system in several different rooms at one time or another that allowed for optimal placement, and I can honestly say that the performance I'm getting this this room is the best I've had yet.

Rock!

Comment

• hifisponge
                                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by drsiebling
                                                    Thanks for the tips, Tim!

The room that is system is in is a real challenge due to the fact that there is no wall on the left side of the room (dining room & kitchen) and a fireplace and a doorway on the right. I'm severely limited on where I can place the surrounds. With that being said, both surrounds are symmetrical with the front speakers and placement from the listening area is pretty ideal with the notable exception of the right speaker which is higher on the wall (that pesky door again!). I think the tri-pole rears really help in this area since, I believe, they create a bit more rear fill. It's currently creating a nice illusion of rear-fill where I'm not noticing sound coming from higher on the wall on the right. So, it's not perfect, but the results are much better than you might expect. I've had most of this system in several different rooms at one time or another that allowed for optimal placement, and I can honestly say that the performance I'm getting this this room is the best I've had yet.

Rock!
                                                    I figured you were making the best of the situation. If you can swing it, I still think you will be better off by pulling that right surround speaker out from the corner. Having the side driver that close to the wall is likely causing the sound to fold back on its self and canceling some of the output.

Comment

• labbetuss50
                                                      • May 2005

Hi guys!

I have just done a little upgrade on my dvd and cd player + cables I'm afraid i dont have time to put in pictures so i will give you a link with pics

Hope you like (and i'm sorry for the bad quality - the camera is somewhat old )

Friendly regards

KML

Klipsch RF-7, RF-5, RC-7, Rotel RSP-1068, RB-1090, RMB-1095, Marantz SA-15, Marantz DV-9600, Panasonic PT-AE700, Adeo, Monster, Kimber, Nordost, PM Audio, Bettercables HDMI

Coming: 2 SVS PB12 Plus/2, Klipsch RF-7 for rear speakers in addition to RF-7 in front

Comment

• cosmo
                                                        • Mar 2006

This is my system. My first Rotel equipment is the RB-1070 amplifier, but not last ... :T
                                                        Attached Files
                                                        Projector: Panasonic PT-AE500E A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-3803 Front stereo power amplifier: Rotel RB-1070 Front: JBL ATX60 Center: JBL ATX10C Surround: JBL ATX20 Sub: Klipsch RW-10 DVD: Panasonic RV-41 CD: Cambridge Audio 640C LP: Denon DP-29F

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

I see lepard skin rug! :lol:
                                                          B&W

Comment

• Rolie
                                                            • Feb 2005

My half system!
                                                            Attached Files
                                                            AV:
                                                            TV: LG RE-44SZ21RD, Processor: Rotel RSP-1068, Front Power Amp.: Rotel RB-1070, DVD: Denon DVD-2910, Tuner: Rotel RT-1080, CD: Denon DCD-625, MD: Sony MDS-JE530 (USA version), LP: Dual CS435, Front: JM Lab Electra 906S (Signature) + SC60 Stand

Cables:
                                                            Front Speaker: Nordost Blue Heaven Rev.II., Optical: Hama Pro Class, IC: Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Blue Heaven

Comment

• donk93953
                                                              • Mar 2006

Rotel RC1070/ Rotel RB1080/ Rotel RCD1072/ B & W 803S

Here ya go....
                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• asimov66
                                                                • Apr 2006

Hi people: my first post but i've followed this thread for some time. I've just upgraded again and this time it was time for a Rotel RDV 1050E to compliment my Power amplifier Rotel RB 976 MK2.

Since i havent learned the ropes yet i hope that you accept a link to my pictures of my setup:

Thanks, and i have to say what great setups you have im looking forward to buying my 1095...

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Welcome!

You are in for a very nice surprise when you hook up that 1095 to you very nice looking system!
                                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• asimov66
                                                                    • Apr 2006

Thanks, yeah im really looking forward to the experience. The Rotel RB 976 MK2 will still be used when i upgrade to drive the rear back surrounds.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                      • Jan 2006

I am a die-hard fan of the 9 Series amps. Glad to hear you will still be putting it to good use!
                                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2006

I LOVE how some of us are still using 27" CRT displays with all the high end audio. My problem is I am both a video nut AND and audio nut, AND I work with higher end gear than I can ever afford, so right now, I have nothing. . But as soon as I buy a house, its on!

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2005

Looking at these setup makes me feel bad... I live in a college dorm and you guys all have cool setups with nice rooms!
                                                                          System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• asimov66
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Apr 2006
                                                                            • 35

My first priority was to upgrade the sound and now i can comfortably say that i have
                                                                            reached a acceptable level. The rb 976 MK2 is one of the best amps because of it's versatility and power combined and i got it for a bargain so i could't resist.
                                                                            About the CRT tv, some how i feel that the CRT days are not over. This tv has been
                                                                            on for 8 hrs (more or less) fr 6 yrs. No burn-in, no light reduction. If id bought a plasma or lcd it would be eighter burnt-in och reduced light. I preume i will most
                                                                            probably buy a crt the next time too and watch day-time junk and compliment ii with a lcd projector.

..and the 976 can stil keep up with its rivals...

Comment

• meltdown
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Apr 2006
                                                                              • 58

BIG changes

I had got into home entertainment around five years ago. I had experimented with several Marantzs and Onkyos to power the system. As far as speakers Ive always have had good luck with Paradigm, although I did have a set of JBLs, I used in the system, since retired to the garage for partys. Bitten by the audio bug a number of times, Ive never been quite satisfied. I find myself searching for something that I may not be hearing.
                                                                              Recently I aquired a newcastle A 965 and decided to go the seperate route, since I already had three Carver M-500's to muscle the system. The Carvers worked fine, they have a lot of pump, and had been happy for a while, that is until I went to the locale audio shop and listened to the Rotels. Quite frankly they blew me away. Granted they had the rotels hooked up to B&W 703 and 704's, but I knew that my Paradigm were very efficient speakers also. So I took the dive and picked up the RMB 1075 and the RB 1080, now there is no looking back or second quessing. Iam very pleased with the Rotels. The only other upgrade Iam considering now is moving up to the Referance 100 Paradigm.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2006
                                                                                • 346

Studio 100 are awesome theater speakers! And they do well on music too. They will play L O U D and clear. Especially with Rotel power. Play the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan.

Comment

• meltdown
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2006
                                                                                  • 58

Picked up King Kong the other night , and played it through the rotels, had noticable seperation of the the sound field, with outstanding clearity, runnigng Monitor 9's now, and cant believe the sound differance.

Comment

• oaqm
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2006
                                                                                    • 25

hgdf
                                                                                    Last edited by oaqm; 25 December 2006, 11:41 Monday.

Comment

• joetama
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 786

How much do you like that RSX-1055?
                                                                                      -Joe

Comment

• Rotelrob
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2003
                                                                                        • 7

My Rack

Been a member for awhile, but lurking for much longer, love Rotel gear here is my system

Rotel RSP-1068
                                                                                        Rotel RDV-1050
                                                                                        Rotel RMB-1080
                                                                                        Rotel RMB-1075

The sound is great, building quality is top notch.

CRj

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2005
                                                                                          • 436

My setup!
                                                                                          Looking to move the speakers out of my dorm room and into next year's living room... hopefully the plan for the new place pans out.

Anyway, here are some pics I took of my system.

Speakers: Martin Logan Summits
                                                                                          Preamp: Rotel RC1070
                                                                                          Amp: Rotel RB1070
                                                                                          Source: PC

Pretty good for a 23 year old huh?

Comment

• audiojunky
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                                            • 96

Originally posted by Joey_V
                                                                                            Pretty good for a 23 year old huh?
                                                                                            You bet!!! Joey - your system rocks!

I've finally cleaned up m place and will be posting pictures this weekend. I'm enjoying every minute of listening to my new B&Ws setup.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"