X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbank
    • Jun 2004

Amp wattage question.

Hi All, I have a question on wattage for the RB-1080 amp. I know a lot of you keep your amp on all the time, and some people turn it on and off. I sure don't want to bring up that discussion again on which is better, but I do have a question from a fiscal standpoint.

The RB-1080 (I believe) is rated at 800 watts. So, to me, I equate that with approximately thirteen 60 watt lightbulbs being turned on all the time. So my question is, if you leave the amp on (without anything else using it), does it draw 800 watts? Or does it sleep? (This is assuming I am not use the 12v trigger.)

thx
    --
    Steve
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

You have just open Pandora's Box, just kidding. The RB-1080 will not use all the watts unless you are playing it a maximum capacity. I utilized the 12V trigger for a while just to keep the capacitors charged, however I blew fuses, so I turned off the 12V trigger, but didn't leave my amp on (unless I forgot to turn it off). Some people leave it on because the amp is already to play without a warm up period, and others for various reasons. The power consumption is listed as 550 watts, with the 12V trigger in standby mode approximately 3 watts. Without the 12V trigger the amplifiers power consumption at idle is approximately 100 watts.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• sbank
      • Jun 2004

Thanks Azeke. That reply helped very much. I too tried the 12v trigger about a year ago. (And blew a fuse.) After contacting Rotel to get a replacement fuse, I decided never to use that feature again.

So, pretty much, leaving the amp on all the time equates to about one and a half lightbulbs being on all the time. Hmm, I think I can live with that...

thx again for the reply :T
      --
      Steve

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

I leave my 1080 on all the time, only because the startup current is huge and causes my UPS for my PC to trip. They are on the same breaker, but I hope to have that fixed some time soon, then I'll try the 12V trigger. It would seem silly to have that there is it doesn't work properly.

That said, I have a Bryston 3B from the 80's that has been left on ever since I have owned it. In the manual for it, Bryston actually tells you to leave it on as the power draw at idle is minimal, and the repeated turning on and off of the amp could cause undue stress to the circuts over time due to the temperature varations.... Plus it ready to go.

I would rather have my 1080 triggered to power off... however I leave it on for now.
        Bing

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"