X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

RSP-1099 Signature Edition

Thought that would grab your attention !!!

In deciding whether to upgrade from 1066 -> 1098 / 1068 I have come up with perhaps what I see as an ideal Processor. I find this pretty usefull as not only does it determine what features are actually used and desired by customers but also allows ROTEL and co to understand what is really important. So here goes I'll kick it off if others want to add / change ... please do.

1) True Premium grade OP Amps throughout.

2) No TFT screen but large dot matrix display allowing settings to be viewed.

3) "Higher" spec componentry throughout (i.e. where current components are below par)

4) Removable / Upgradable CPU (as per PC)

5) Expandable / Upgradable ROM memory banks (as per PC)

6) Get harmonic distortions to the spec quoted for the 1068 ... why is it higher anyway? Or is this a website blooper?

7) Keep chassis as is - think its a great build.

8) Ability to download THX2 ULTRA software, for a fee from THX, to the now expanded memory bank if desired.

9) Hardware THX2 Ultra compliant.

Seems to me the savings on the screen could quite easiliy cover the above changes... and perhaps improve the signal to noise ratios too...

So what would you rather have the above unit or the current 1098 for the same price?

Any other thoughts?

Regards Steve.
  • Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

Why to you need THX ??

isn't it just a certification ??
    - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• DrBoom
      • Dec 2003

Very nice list Stevebez, about everything I wanted changed in the 1098 is in there
      Especially the premium grade components throughout, with minimum compromises made there.
      Build quality is among the best i've seen so far, especially at this price point so I wouldn't change anything there either.
      I agree (as do most) on the TFT screen, let them put in a good 2 or 3 line dotmatrix display, preferably white color (not blue like everything these days).
      One thing I'd like to see too, is fully dimmable lighting on every led / display in the processor, including a full blackout mode where everything goes out.
      That includes the pesky and way too bright blue standby led on the silver model.
      Why the hell did they call that "Standy", it's always on no matter what
      I don't see the need for THX post-processing though, I've used it once but I didn't really care for it.
      I takes the edge off of everything, makes it sound too dull.
      Perhaps for people with really bright sounding systems it can be a blessing.
      Hardware THX ultra compliance isn't a must-have either for me, don't really see the point in that.
      Seems to me the savings on the screen could quite easiliy cover the above changes... and perhaps improve the signal to noise ratios too...
      I absolutely agree on that, take out the ill-mannered TFT screen and make it quieter.
      And I would definitely prefer the 1099 Signature over the 1098, but I don't see it possible that it would cost only as much.
      The TFT may be expensive, but so are upgradable processor slots and expansion slots for memory banks, not to mention top-notch DAC's and opamps.
      Nevertheless, I would gladly pay $1000 extra, to see a 1098 without TFT, but with a big dotmatrix (with full setup capabilities), fitted out with Burr-brown DAC's and opamps all around, and with a S/N ratio of 102 dB or more. (give or take). I don't need gimmicks like autocalibration and other stuff, as long as they get everything else right.
      Oh yeah, and less buggy software

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

You know what Steve - I think you should work for the design/marketing department at Rotel. Watch me line up for one if your vision were fulfilled. Really nice ideas. :T
        Keith

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

Thanks for feedback guys ... yes was not sure about the THX issue ... but the response, so far, gives the answer ... no one really wants it! So this tells us ROTEL is probably on the right track by not providing it currently.

Just been thinking further about the removable processor ... think this would be a fantastic feature even just for maintenance / repair - let alone providing an upgrade path.

A further thought on upgradability ... as with computers there is only so much you can do to avoid the inevitable replacement. Think the framework outlined above would provide a great base, and the mods etc could make the unit last perhaps 3 yrs mbe even 5 yrs - but that may be pushing it.

Currently the Prepro lifecyle lies at around 18months - 2yrs, and with alot of new tech coming to market soon in form of BluRay, HDTV DVD etc we are in for even more dramatic changes ...

I Live in hope ... and fear!

Rgds Steve.

Too much power is just enough ....

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Great - but I have one smal, smal request to the 1099..

Please, please, please add 2 mm additional space between the RCA input sockets - pulling cables out and installing new ones is a drag - not to mention that some of the more serious cables have trouble being installed due to the plugs being to big to really fit without applying force.
            (goes especially for cable type's like wireworld..

Have several times wondering when the socket will be pulled out.. :rofl:

And then of course - adding one balanced input and balanced output for use with the 1095 would be nice as well.
            Could even be done as a balanced version vs normal version. I would pay extra for that.. :lol:

Comment

• Stevebez
              • Oct 2003

Ah balanced outputs .... mmm now that would be neat I guess but I don't want to go too off topic here, but I honestly don't know what benefit they provide ?

Can someone give me a dummy's outline ops: to balanced outputs ?

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• aarsoe
                • May 2004

Several things to be said - but the biggest difference is that it allows for much longer cable runs, or to have the cable's work better in a noisy enviroment - like next to tv's due to both signal cables being shielded and not like un-balanced designs use one of the existing ones as shield..
                Sonically it depends on the implementation. If the design is truely balanced then it is much better than un-balanced ie. normal RCA plugs. Have only heard of one example where that was not true - and that was the high end Linn cd player..

And before someone begins - the AD711 implementation that Rotel uses on the smaller amps is sonically inferior, but thats is not a truely balanced design....

And the Rotel balanced design philosophy has nothing to do with the systems being balanced..

Comment

• Stevebez
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by aarsoe
                  And before someone begins - the AD711 implementation that Rotel uses on the smaller amps is sonically inferior, but thats is not a truely balanced design....
                  Do you mean sonically inferior to true Balanced or to unbalanced? Also do you mean the RB1080 or which models ?

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

Well - actually to both. The 711 implementation is really below normal Rotel standard.
                    I cant remember which models etc - but I am fairly shure others can answer that question.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by DrBoom
                      I agree (as do most) on the TFT screen, let them put in a good 2 or 3 line dotmatrix display, preferably white color (not blue like everything these days).

One thing I'd like to see too, is fully dimmable lighting on every led / display in the processor, including a full blackout mode where everything goes out.
                      That includes the pesky and way too bright blue standby led on the silver model.

I absolutely agree on that, take out the ill-mannered TFT screen and make it quieter.

Nevertheless, I would gladly pay $1000 extra, to see a 1098 without TFT, but with a big dotmatrix (with full setup capabilities), fitted out with Burr-brown DAC's and opamps all around, and with a S/N ratio of 102 dB or more. (give or take). I don't need gimmicks like autocalibration and other stuff, as long as they get everything else right.
                      Oh yeah, and less buggy software
                      That's a really accurate description of the new Anthem Statement D1... For 1000$ more then the 1098 in the US, and at the same price in Canada...
                      To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                        • May 2004

Balanced inputs/outputs

Even if I had balanced outputs on the RSP 1099, I’m not sure that I would use them with the RMB 1095 unless my environment was subject to extreme electrical interference with really long interconnect lengths. The RMB 1095 was reviewed in Home Theater High Fidelity. It is an excellent read. :T I highly recommend it for people into specifications and technical information. It is available on the Rotel website at http://www.rotel.com/reviews/reviews_rmb1095.html . It explains the RMB 1095’s balanced inputs are a ‘quasi-balanced’ design (when it comes to the inputs not Rotels ‘Balanced design philosophy’ which is different altogether). The test results suggest the balanced inputs on the 1095 do not perform quite as well as the RCA inputs. (Note: the amplifier’s test results were exceptional!). I really like the RMB 1095, so I guess I will not have any need for balanced inputs on my ‘dream’ pre/pro., which sounds a lot like the RSP 1099. :W

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2003

Don't forget 192kz Digital upsampling

Hi,

I'd be adding the 192Kz up-sampling feature for all digital sources (from Levesque's beloved Anthem D1) to my dream machine... Based on listening to an external DAC with this feature - This will make a worthwhile difference to the sound which is ultimately what it is all about...

In fact while we are at it - lest "one up" on the D1 and go for 32 bit (or better) interpolation on the 192Kz sygnals for some extra detail...

Keep the thread up - we can make sure that Rotel sees it....

Regards

Geoff

Comment

• aarsoe
                            • May 2004

Now that we are dreaming - How about adding 1394 input for DVD-A or SACD input? And 2 x 5.1 or 7.1 inputs for the people with players that dont offer that.

If "real estate" for the connectors is a problem, then drop the composite video card - I really have to ask my self if anybody uses it for anything?? In fact just drop it - no matter what..

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by aarsoe
                              Now that we are dreaming - How about adding 1394 input for DVD-A or SACD input? And 2 x 5.1 or 7.1 inputs for the people with players that dont offer that.

If "real estate" for the connectors is a problem, then drop the composite video card - I really have to ask my self if anybody uses it for anything?? In fact just drop it - no matter what..
                              Amen to that brother! (It's Sunday, I'm feeling a little religious :lol: )

Jason
                              Jason

Comment

• Ossi
                                • Jul 2003

better make a new combined composide and S-VHS card. Still have enough video inputs and a free slot for HDMI.
                                1394 can be realised with a new DSP card. Would need faster DSPs anyway to add room correction.
                                Taken this in account Rotel could, if they only wanted, provide a clear hardware upgrade path for existing 1098.
                                Instead of a RSP 1099, I would like to see Rotel offering exclusive High End cards to be swaped with the original one for those who are interested. In this case a refound on the used card that still could go back in the production cycle should see a sort of refound.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                  • May 2004

Well - just to be on the flip side (as usual)

I would actually like to keep the TFT screen, but with the following changes/additions:

1: Make it a touch screen
                                  -Would make setup easier

2: Capable of displaying all input types
                                  -And not only the composite that I think is waste of money anyway and is why I think most people want to drop it

3: Small lid logo's like the Sunfire systems, so that when the display is switched of, it is still possible to see what is being played in terms of signal

4: Possibility to use TFT screen as spectrum analyzer with mic.
                                  -Not really something to do with the screen, but would be nice for setup and identifying room issues. Screen could even be split in two so top half would show signal from source and lower half show whats measured.

5: And of course - have the capability to be completely shut off..

Comment

• amix
                                    • May 2004

Originally posted by Stevebez
                                    [...] I have come up with perhaps what I see as an ideal Processor.
                                    I allow myself to take the list over and modify it to my own desire.

1) True Premium grade OP Amps throughout. Better DACs.

2) No TFT screen but large dot matrix display allowing settings to be viewed TFT screen, however, as touchscreen, on remote control. This looks like a mixture betweem a PDA and a portable panel PC. 7" 16:9. Those who know the QUAD RC of the small system at the beginning of the ninetees know what I envision. This RC is connected over wireless Ethernet and so also MPEG2 streams can be displayed on it. The RC would be more a part of the system than just an RC. Resolution max. 1024 x 768.
                                    The Dot-Matrix should dimm itself by daylight intensivity (option, configurable). It should switch itself off right after use and swith on automatically when using the button- / knob-elements or the RC.

3) "Higher" spec componentry throughout (i.e. where current components are below par)

4) Full modulare design:

a) Removable / Upgradable CPU (as per PC)
                                    b) Expandable / Upgradable ROM memory banks (as per PC)
                                    6) Expandable / Upgradable circuit-cards. Like the 1098 but with the company concentrating their highes-end product on simply working on the cards.

5) Get harmonic distortions to the spec quoted for the 1068 ... why is it higher anyway? Or is this a website blooper?

6) Half the chassis in height. The current design is much to gronky for a preamp / processor

7) Ability to download THX2 ULTRA software, for a fee from THX, to the now expanded memory bank if desired.

8 ) Hardware THX2 Ultra compliant. Not really. Only if the equalization features need it.

9) Possibility to install a custom Linux, x86 compatible. This would allow the system to execute a multimedia software (HTPC Software). A HTPC would be a data slave then, or even not needed (as long TV is not a desire), since networked storage devices could be used.

10) Fully TCP/IP compatible. This would allow for network control, and with the x86 feature (in addition to the DSP, etc.) it would become possible to attach Network Storage (think media-library). Own IP address, etc.

12) min.2 LAN ports allowing for a media network at home

13) No printed labels for sources on the buttons (like 1069) but only "Source 1", "Source 2", etc. Or "Audio 1", "Video 1" and the likes.

14) All things from the whish-list incorporated

15) All of the control API open source! This allows easy integration into 3rd party software.

16) 8.2 System with 2x 8.2 inputs analog and two i.Link connects. 8 channels is SACD multichannel maximum. That's why.

17) DVI and HDMI connector. Full HDTV compatibility.
                                    Last edited by amix; 05 July 2004, 23:33 Monday.
                                    Adios, amix :dothewave:
                                    Stereo: Rotel RA-840 BX4, Rotel RP-955 (Ortofon MC 15 Super), Nakamichi CR4, DBX DX-900, Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE, OCOS
                                    HTPC-Server: P4 1.8, ASUS p4PE, 512MB, 2x 250GB, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, G550DH, DVB-s, SATA HotSwap, GB-Lan

Comment

• WOTG
                                      • Oct 2005

Balanced innputs both analog and digital (AES/EBU) Balanced outputs on all channels. Not because i have my amps a mile away, but simply because XLR is a much better and sturdier conection than RCA plugs.
                                      A true slot in design like Meridian and Theta would be great. loose the LCD screen and give us a propper dot-matrix display, prefreably in red like Krell and ML.
                                      More digitalt innputs off all kinds, Ilink, HDMI, AES/EBU, tos-link and coax.
                                      Skip alot of the analouge innputs, who uses 10 s-video and composite innputs? And please make the RCA sockets of better quality, use instead of the usual crappy TCA sockets like this
                                      A better remote and auto setup would also be nice

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"