X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stantheman2
    • Apr 2004

My new 1056 Fried!!

Finally got my new RSX-1056 yesterday morning (Saturday). Dealer had been promising me weekly since mid-February that the new Rotel receivers would be in "next week". Finally had to special-order it and it still took three weeks.

Got it home yesterday, made all connections, flipped the power switch on in back, hit the standy button in front to complete the power up and...

A small flame appers in the interior of the unit for about two seconds, and smoke slowly wafts up from the unit. The receiver is dead, dead, dead.

Dealer was zero immediate help. No more in stock not already designated for other buyers...not willing to give me one of the units in stock. Didn't offer to give me the display unit as a loaner..doesn't know when any more are coming in. They will call me Monday and let me know what they can do.

Needless to say, my iniitial experience with Rotel quality control and Rotel dealer support has been very negative. Before making this purchase, I noted some of the highly negative comment about Rotel quality and service on this and other forums, but assumed it was merely a few isolated incidents. Now that I have had the same experience, I am not so sure. Iv'e been buying audio and more recently video gear for over 30 years, and this has been my worst experience with component quality and dealer support. Yes, I'm frustrated, but after having been jerked around tor two months, seeing the receiver burn up in my face, and then getting no dealer support, any customer should be frustrated. :M

Rotel equipment sounds fantastic, but at this point, I have to say it has NOT been worth the hassle.

I'll update this next week - there is a chance Rotel and the dealer can redeem themselves, but I'm not optimistic. WRT Rotel: caveat maxima emptor!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal Stan However, personally, based on the service you received from your dealer prior to purchsing a unit I would have already found another dealer. If possible I would return the equipment for a full refund and head down to the next one. In all I think you would find that the majority of people have had good experiences with Rotel with equally cpable dealers. Unfortunately there are still some snooty and/or just plain bad dealers out there and not just for Rotel. I personally was looking at Rotel stuff in one Vancouver location with great setups and tons of gear and listening rooms and was treated as though I wasn't good enough to be there. So I went to another location that was in a tiny one room shop with no listening rooms but WAAAY better staff and bought mine there.

Rotel as a company has excellent customer service and QC from what I've found and heard about. There one of the best out there IMO. When they have encountered a problem they're usually quite prompt about correcting it as well. Hopefully you can find a better dealer that will turn your Rotel experience around to the good one that the majority of us get

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Hi Stantheman2!

Hey is there a Stantheman 1 ? :roll:

Euhh yeah...anyways... I can understand your frustration buddy....but no matter what when you finally do listen to this piece...you WILL say it was worth it....No question.

For your dealer...when did this happen....When did he say he would give you news....

You could say to him that a refund is wanted but legally he does not have to give you one...did you know all sales are final ? Just try and work with him...I am sure he doesn`t want to lose your business...

Anyway just trying to help a frustrating situation...

Best regards!
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I noted some of the highly negative comment about Rotel quality and service on this and other forums, but assumed it was merely a few isolated incidents. Now that I have had the same experience, I am not so sure.
        I know it's hard to deal with in your situation, but unfortunately it still takes a few people to have a bad experiences to create isolated incidents. Your first post is about the bad experience. If it worked great and you never had an issue, you might have gone a long time without a post..

Hopefully your dealer will make it right, or take it back and let you move on. FWIW, if the units dies out of the box or within a week, Rotel will send us an advanced replacement. So they should take it back and refund your money since they won't be stuck with a used, repaired receiver.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I've been in contact with Rotel on this unfortunate situation and they should be in contact with you and or your dealer very shortly and I know they'll do what needs to be done to resolve the situation

Comment

• lane
            • Apr 2004

Rotel custoner service

My Rb 1090 amp. just died a couple of months ago. I sent it back to the shop that I purchased it from ( an ex Rotel dealer ). They sent it out -finally came back to me after a couple of months with a new unit as they could not repair the old unit.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Stan,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I'm sure that was very disappointing and peturbing. It seems though before Andrew departed on his business trip, that he has investigated this travesty. I'm confident that at least Rotel will step up to the plate and resolve your issue. I would however, opt for a different dealer if they are treating you as a second class citizen.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• kendrid
                • Dec 2002

The one time I needed Rotel's service was for an old RSP980 processor which I purchased used. Rotel fixed the unit for free even though I was not the original buyer. I was very impressed considering they specifically state that the warranty is only for the original owner. Note: they might not do it for someone else, but they did for me (4 years ago).
                ------
                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"