X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonb68
    • Jan 2003

PC RS232 controller for Rotel gear

I have written a simple VB program to control certain Rotel gear via the RS232 interface, available on my highly polished web site here http://www.sbarnard.nildram.co.uk/ :alol:

Its not quite complete, there are a few buttons missing and the display can get corrupted sometimes. I'm also not sure if any run-time files are needed, but anyone is welcome to give it a try. I cant guarantee it will work with anything but an RSX-1055, however common functions share the same commands between units so should currently support all units described in the RS232 interface doc on Rotel's site.

Now you're all probably wondering what the use of such a tool is when we all have perfectly good remotes. Well it was primarily an exercise for the author, and the plan was to port it to Java (so I can learn it), and also just a bit of fun.

If anybody seriously thinks they might use it then let me know and I will complete development of it.

Simon
  • EricTT
    • Dec 2002

Simon-
    I downloaded your program and tried to run it and got the following error: Component ‘MSCOMM32.OCX’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
    I then downloaded the VB runtime: VBRUN60.EXE but still got the error.

So I found a copy of mscomm32.ocx and then registered it by typing "regsvr32 mscomm32.ocx" at the command line. That did it and I could run your program.

I don't have a cable hooked up to my 1055 yet but I will try it out later. I'm often at my computer and have to get up and grab the remote to change the volume if the phone rings and having this available instead is very cool - thanks.
    -Eric

Comment

• suarez
      • Jan 2003

great work, really!!

i cant believe it, thats all i searched.

finally i am able to control the 1055 from pc when playing a game cause its only in front when watching films.

first i had trouble starting the exe. module not found...
      after insane-installation the xantech software and one reboot it worked fine with xp pro.

here´s a link to a german coder who wrote a similar software for yamaha units.

i tested it with a ax2 from a friend.
      it works fine too.
      perhaps a source for additional features.

good night,
      mea sleeping very well tonight

thx a lot
      suarez

sind sie ein eichenmann?
      sind sie ein eichenmann?

Comment

• suarez
        • Jan 2003

found something...

every time when i press "mute" the display stays in "mute on".
        no refresh from the display is possible.

"off" "on" solves the problem, hehehe.

cya
        suarez

sind sie ein eichenmann?
        sind sie ein eichenmann?

Comment

• simonb68
          • Jan 2003

Glad it could be of some use!

I did think it might be missing an ocx or two but you two seemed to have coped.

I know there are some problems with the display, it doesn't update properly sometimes, especially at startup, and volume changes, the display refresh command doesnt seem to work, changing source generally gives it a kick. It seemed to work better when run in VB - something to fix....

Might consider finishing it then.

Simon

Comment

• Mats
            Special Member
            • Jun 2000

Cool.

I kust started it on the pc without the unit connected as they are in seperate rooms.

But it seems to be a great and a very small program.

Perhapas you can make a nice looking Gui related to the remote or the machine. Just for the look.

Keep working and fixing the bug.

We can start a bet who`s faster:

You in developping a perfect remote program for the machine or
            rotel in correcting the bass management.

I bet you win! Just my $0.02

Left forum because sold Rotel gear
            Mats
            Mats Strömberg
            Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
            Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• EricTT
              • Dec 2002

Simon-
              I've hooked up my cable and tried it out. It's very useful, you've got me thinking about getting my old VB hat back out and giving it a try as well. I'd like to create a small window with just the buttons I use when I'm on the computer. Maybe we could work together, along with this great group of testers...
              Send me an email if your interested eric15@22bennett.com. Thanks

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

simon I'd love to see the source code for that if you're willing to share it?

Comment

• simonb68
                  • Jan 2003

For Eric as much as Andrew, source is now here too My Home Page

Eric, a small window of essential buttons would be very easy, the sending of commands is actually the easy bit, as you will see from the source. If you know, or work out, how to get the volume to repeat please let me know. If you have any other questions feel free to drop me an email - sbarnard@uk.uumail.com

Simon

Comment

• JohnSC
                    • Jun 2002

Ok guys. You've tempted me enough. My role in IT these days is purely project management but this stuff has given me itchy fingers. Time to roll out the VB again.

Thanks guys

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

thanks I'll take a look at what you've done...I haven't coded in VB much this past year since i've been doing more in javascript but this should be fun

Comment

• JohnSC
                        • Jun 2002

Simon,

Do you have the form 'frmSelectUnit' ? It doesn't seem to be in the zip file you provided.

Thanks

Comment

• simonb68
                          • Jan 2003

Apolgies folks - should all be there now

Simon

Comment

• JohnSC
                            • Jun 2002

Thanks Simon.

Comment

• simonb68
                              • Jan 2003

If anyone's still interested I have updated the prog a little bit (new binary and source in same place)

I have fixed the display update problem I believe, I discovered that the unit echoes the command back to me which I wasn't taking into account when handling the COM buffer. So volume changes now display, Mute toggle works etc.

This also means 'Refresh Display' now works so if the prog is started after the unit is powered up, clicking this button will force a display update.

Also I have given the main form a minimise button and named all forms.

Finally, I decided to leave in the debug window (toggle on the Select Unit Form) in case anybody is remotely interested in watching the display buffer, and seeing commands

Simon

Comment

• suarez
                                • Jan 2003

hi,

great work again. muting and refresh works fine, i tested it.

do u plan additional features or functions?

i use the software every day and i wont miss it.

cya and thx again.
                                suarez

sind sie ein eichenmann?
                                sind sie ein eichenmann?

Comment

• simonb68
                                  • Jan 2003

Hi suarez

Thanks again for the compliments, glad it is finding a good use somewhere.

To be honest, there's not a whole lot more to add, I know a few buttons are missing, but there's not much more that can be added in the way of features. The interface only really allows reading the display and emulating the remote control.

I could probably make the interface a bit more pretty. I also don't support the serial interface spec quite fully which could be corrected, but essentially it does the job I need.

Did you have any particular features in mind?

Simon

Comment

• suarez
                                    • Jan 2003

hi,

yes i have, hehehe.

xmaswishlist:
                                    fullscreen with a 1055 or other frontview in background of the programm. then the user has to put a myunit.bmp in a specific directory and then the frontview appears.

could make sens, when only the coulored display appears. cause of the size of the letters and numbers. hmmm?

ok, more features or buttons are not important in this mode of use.
                                    the most useful functions are there right now.

its only a question of the "look", hehe.
                                    perhaps somebody has already made pictures of the front with a good digicam.

cya
                                    suarez

sind sie ein eichenmann?
                                    sind sie ein eichenmann?

Comment

• JohnSC
                                      • Jun 2002

How about adding a feature that automates the firmware update process. That would be neat!

John

Comment

• simonb68
                                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by JohnSC
                                        How about adding a feature that automates the firmware update process. That would be neat! John
                                        Interesting idea, I'll look into it.

Comment

• LaurentG
                                          • Apr 2003

Hi all. I'm new on this forum. I am a happy french user of a RSP-1066.

Simon, your soft is a very good idea.
                                          I have not yet the cable to try it, but I have already launch it to see how it looks. And it seems to be very cool.
                                          I could be interested by new features, either by enhancing your soft or developping another one if necessary. But could you tell me if it is possible through the RS232 interface to setup the RSP-1066 ? I mean all what is done through the OSD menus : name of inputs, selection of audio input for video input, delay, bass management ...
                                          And where did you find the specifications of the protocol used by Rotel to pilot the RSP-1066 ?
                                          Do you know if we can access to hidden features through the RS232 interface ?

Laurent

Comment

• JohnSC
                                            • Jun 2002

That sounds like a great idea. If you could emulate the OSD from the PC that would be very powerful. Thinking ahead, you could probably save different config's and load them automatically through the emulation. Wouldn't that be great. It would help overcome some of the shortfalls of the 1066 such as not being able to have different speaker settings for different sound formats.

As an aside, in the absence of the full list of codes from Rotel, I am pretty sure that using hyerterminal you can see the codes being sent to the 1066 as you use the remote.

Comment

• LaurentG
                                              • Apr 2003

I have found the RS232 specifications on the Rotel web site.
                                              And after a quick look, it seems to be possible to acceed OSD through RS232.
                                              So yes, John, it will be possible to do that.
                                              Simon soft seems to be very simple and well done. So maybe, the best idea is to enhance it.

Laurent

Comment

• LaurentG
                                                • Apr 2003

The difficulty could be that there is nothing to get for example the current name of an input or the current audio input associated to a video input or the current crossover frequency.
                                                So if the OSD selection are cyclic, we will have unfortunately no solution So I have to check my OSD this evening.

Laurent

Comment

• LaurentG
                                                  • Apr 2003

Rotel control interface seems to not deliver sufficient information to do what I would like to do, and most of the selections in the OSD menus are cyclic. So unfortunately, it is impossible to setup the RSP-1066 from a PC, and Simon's application covers already more or less all what is possible to do.

Simon, could you tell me if it exists undocumented data exchanged through the RS232 interface ? For example when navigating in the menus.
                                                  For exemple, when we push MENU button, we have the system status OSD. Is there system data sent to the PC at the same time ?

The only thing I could do is maybe another GUI. And why not with skins.

Laurent

Comment

• simonb68
                                                    • Jan 2003

Hi Laurent and John

Yes, I did think about adding OSD setup, however the problem is, as I think Laurent pointed out, the software has no idea of the current state of the OSD config. So it could be done, but you would have to preconfigure the software to the current state, it would then be possible to control it via RS232 using the arrow keys and enter etc. However that would mean that you would always have to use the software to do it, otherwise it would lose 'state' - not particularly practical. If Rotel have undocumented discrete codes for the OSD then it would be possible.

I have no knowledge of undocumented features. The spec only provides for receiving LCD display information and sending commands as described. Since the 1066 is the same as the 1055 display wise (I think), the software should function OK.

If anybody has the appropriate contacts at Rotel and is interested perhaps they could ask if there is an undocumented method of configuring the OSD through the RS232 interface.

Simon

Comment

• simonb68
                                                      • Jan 2003

However having had a think for a while ....

I'm not sure about the 1055, but doesnt the 1066 have a profile saving feature, and the 1055 can be reset to defaults IIRC, so if there was a known starting point then it could be possible. It might take a while to do all the reconfig though. I will look into this, but I'm afraid its quite low on my list of things to do at the moment - top is currently trying to find a house, and with house prices in London at the moment, could be a long search...

Simon

Comment

• LaurentG
                                                        • Apr 2003

Simon, even if there is no problem to control the OSD via the RS232 interface (we can emulate the buttons of the usual remote controller), the big problem is that we cannot do any configuration if we don't know the current settings, and if I take into account only the document delivered by Rotel, there is nothing to retrieve the full settings.
                                                        If you add the problem with the cyclic selections in the OSD, I see unfortunately no solution.

When you spy the interface, is there nothing coming to the PC for example when you do a selection in an OSD menu ?

Laurent

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

I started down the road of building a VB app to upgrade the firmware and got it sort of working. I stopped developing it though when I got a beta program from Rotel to try instead...frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been made public yet...I'll see what I can find out about that program.

Comment

• JohnSC
                                                            • Jun 2002

Simon,

I was going to suggest the same thing. You could restore the factory defaults or the saved settings and then config the 1066 based on the preset ones you have saved. It is true that the config would take a short while as the software works through them all but think it would be worth it.

Good luck on the house hunting. We just bought one in Melb, Aust. Whilst it was difficult, I know you have the tougher job ahead of you.

John

Comment

• suarez
                                                              • Jan 2003

hi,

i still use the software any day, cause the volume settings are much faster than with the remote. great

the biggest thing im looking forward to is a great gui with high resolution pictures of the particular unit and maybe animated coloured leds.

the other stuff would be great, but i think its to much work.

cya
                                                              suarez

sind sie ein eichenmann?
                                                              sind sie ein eichenmann?

Comment

• simonb68
                                                                • Jan 2003

As I mentioned, its likely going to be a fair while before I have time to dedicate what is likely going need to be a weekend to look into this and have a fair crack at it. I assume that my posting of the source code shows that I'm happy for others to contribute features and fixes etc, or even take on 'ownership'. In truth the code could do with a bit of an overhaul, I knocked it together in a fair rush and there are a number of things I'd like to tidy up such as using module not just a form, putting all Rotel commands into a control array for neatness etc. It also needs extending\adapting for other models, assuming there is any demand.

Volunteers welcome...

Simon

Comment

• Mats
                                                                  Special Member
                                                                  • Jun 2000

Today I got my USB Seriell Coverter and as I started the programm nothing did work.

When I accesses the rsp1066 via Hyperterminal it talked to my PC and tolf me the volume setting etc. when switched on or after anything beeing changed.

Changing a box in the prgramm the rsp1066 did not react.
                                                                  The display status is correct and changing anything at the rsp 1066 the display in the programm is updated.

Can anybody help me?

Mats
                                                                  Mats Strömberg
                                                                  Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!

Comment

• simonb68
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2003

Hi

So if I understand correctly, the display is updating OK when you press buttons\change settings ON the 1066 (I assume via the remote or on the unit directly), but when using the buttons in the software to control the 1066, nothing happens. If so thats strange as the com port is obviously open and talking to the 1066 otherwise the display would not update.

Can you let me know if the problem is as I described or have I misunderstood.

Simon

Comment

• Mats
                                                                      Special Member
                                                                      • Jun 2000

Thats correct. When the rsp is already running nothing happens when starting the prgramm. I have to switvh it off and on and then it`s connected.

Mats
                                                                      Mats Strömberg

Comment

• simonb68
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2003

When you say nothing happens, do you mean that the display remains blank. This is OK, it works like this since starting the program does not trigger a display refresh (although it probably should, one for the list). Or do you mean that sending commands has no effect unless the 1066 is power cycled while the program is running?

Simon

Comment

• Mats
                                                                          Special Member
                                                                          • Jun 2000
                                                                          • 1326

Changing settings in the programm hast no effect on the machine.

Mats
                                                                          Mats Strömberg

Comment

• LaurentG
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2003
                                                                            • 13

Simon, I have just quickly checked your software code, and I think your SendCommand function can only work with the RSX-1055.
                                                                            You use 195 (c3 in hexa) for the ID which is the correct ID only for the RSX-1055.
                                                                            For the RSP-1066, the ID should be 194 (c2 in hexa) for example.

That could confirm the report from someone I know who told me no command was taken into account by his RSP-1066 when using your software.

Hopes it could help.

Laurent

Comment

• Mats
                                                                              Special Member
                                                                              • Jun 2000
                                                                              • 1326

#39
                                                                              If you could correct this and send me the programm via Mail I`ll immeatedly check it.

Mats
                                                                              Mats Strömberg

Comment

• simonb68
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2003
                                                                                • 101

#40
                                                                                Well spotted..

A new binary is now on my web site, I have only catered for the 1055,1066 and 1065 at present, just as a test. Let me know if this works.

EDIT: I've found out how to do volume repeat (was using the wrong events) but it needs fine tuning a bit, I'll add this in when I get time.

Simon

Comment

• Mats
                                                                                  Special Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2000
                                                                                  • 1326

#41
                                                                                  ou are the King you are the greatest!

Now everything is working fine.

Could You Please Add:

Select the machine and comport with a setting menu and not with every start.

A Possiblity to change the name of the Input Selctors in that setup menu.

Deactivate the num keys the band key and the channel keys for rsp 1066. (The phono Input, too)

The easiest thing would be to introduce a version number that everybody can see what version is the most recent.

When I first saw the programm I told you to make a GUI but working with the program now I think this is not the first step to do.

I think the ideas I told are not that difficult to programm and I hope to hear from you again soon.

Happy Easter Eggs and think about us perhaps you can hide the eggs for your kids more tricky and you`ll have the time for the programm.

Thanx a Lot.

Mats
                                                                                  Mats Strömberg

Comment

• simonb68
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2003
                                                                                    • 101

#42
                                                                                    Thanks, glad to hear it works now, credit to Laurent for spotting it

The first two suggestions are things I had considered, since I have a 1055 I hadnt thought about buttons not applicable to other gear though.

This now starting to get serious Whilst I'm happy to have the odd tinker to fix things and add minor stuff I can't guarantee when I might be able to make major revisions like OSD config etc, but I'll do what I can when I can

Simon

Comment

• simonb68
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2003
                                                                                      • 101

#43
                                                                                      Well I just couldn't keep away, it was just nagging at me so I have released an update (usual place) - there are also some release notes in the same place that describe whats been changed etc.

Hopefully people will find the slight GUI change beneficial, if not then feedback welcome.

This wasn't as time consuming as I thought so I'm willing to spend some time looking at the OSD thing - however first attempt will be for a 1055 - I will probably need assistance with the 1066.

Finally, I am hopefully getting my broadband upgraded to 2mb next week so I will likely be offline for a couple of weeks (good old BT :roll: ). I'm not sure I can suffer 56k again so please don't think I'm ignoring anybody if I don't respond for a while.

Simon

Comment

• Mats
                                                                                        Special Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2000
                                                                                        • 1326

#44
                                                                                        HI

I tested the programm and I have the following suggestions:

When RSP 1066 is selected you can deactivate the following buttons:

Num Block
                                                                                        Display Button
                                                                                        Ch+/Ch-
                                                                                        Band

There is no Tape2 and no Phono Input so they can be deactivated, too.

I dont`know why there are 5 buttons for Pro Logic
                                                                                        The three on the right side would be enough.

You could move the Close button in the bottom line right from the RSP1066 letters.
                                                                                        I pushed it by accident several times.

You could group the Audio Mode Buttons horizontal in two rows.

I don`t like the more/less button but thats a question of personal taste.

I like the work you do with that programm and it`s great that you do it!!

Mats
                                                                                        Mats Strömberg

Comment

• suarez
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2003
                                                                                          • 32

#45
                                                                                          hi,

tested the new version with a 1055.
                                                                                          got an runtime error 5, invalid procedure call or argument.
                                                                                          the error always appears when i turn the unit on and off with fast clicks.

i think this error appears when i klick to "OFF" before the displays showed all content, or sended all signs to rs232 due to a endflag of the message.
                                                                                          could be a user error, hehe. i only have to wait a second.

please change the programm to start in fullscreen mode like the version before. i use it only in this mode. is this feature selectable by the settings menu? or ending the program in fullscreen it starts next time in fullscreen?

the name settings for the inputs are a very good idea, well done!

old gui was good, the new one is better. the volume buttons could be a little bit greater than the others. its just an idea....

good work

cya
                                                                                          suarez
                                                                                          sind sie ein eichenmann?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"