X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

is it Dts, 1066 or me?

Hey guys I may or may not have an issue. I noticed when I watch regular satelite programing with DTS I have zero sub sounding bass. With dolby digital on the same station I do. I have watched movies with DTS and never noticed the lack of sub. When I select DTS I made sure it was cinema not music, although it was a concert that I noticed it on last night. Anyway, should the 1066 have slected neo 6? The only thing on the display was DTS cinema and then it read tvvcr wich I have programed. I changed my sub setup in the OSD to max and still nothing. Is it the 1066 not sending a signal to the .1 channel on DTS, or is it just the way DTS is or what the heck is it? Now that I reflect a bit I do not get much if any sub bass on DTS music with my cd player either. Hmmmmm please help.

You just can't fix stupid
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
  • Jonesy
    • Feb 2003

From what I understand only Dolby Digital is broadcast over satellite, or OTA for that matter. I'm not familiar with the 1066, so I'm not sure what decoding issues you need to deal with, but I'm pretty sure you're not getting DTS over your dish.

Comment

• Foxman
      • Jan 2003

Thanks for the response Jonesy. I agree that the broadcasts are not DTS, but my understanding of DTS Neo 6 was that it takes a regular sugnal and decodes it similar to DD. I know thats an oversimplifacation of what takes place, but what I read on the DTS sight made me think that any signal could have some benefit from DTS, again similar to DD. Secondly was the music part, I know I should have bass on DTS music....shouldnt I? Every one is screaming about double bass, crap I'd take double bass at this point. Sorry I am ranting.

IMO

My Movies
      Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• mazuly
        • Feb 2003

Satellite/Cable Boxes usually provide signal in Dolby Digital (DD) 2.0 or DD 5.1. You can only process the DD 2.0 signal in Dolby Prologic II (DPII) to get surround sound, but you can not process it in DTS neo6 since the original signal is in DD. In order to do that you need a PCM digital signal or 2 channel analog signal from your STB. Also RSP-1066 will lock to DD5.1 or DTS5.1 when it receives that signal and will not allow you to process that signal using DPII or DTS neu6.

Usually, the reasons for not getting the bass are the following:

1) RSP-1066 speaker setting is set to large and sub set to no
        2) DVD player speaker setting is set to large and sub set to no
        3) Satellite/Cable box digital output setup has speaker setting and it is set to large and no sub
        4)Sub output level for Dolby, DTS, Music …. Is set too low
        5) The original recording is 5.0 and not 5.1 (the DTS music might be recorded in 5.0 instead of 5.1)

Question, when you are playing a DVD movie in DD or DTS, do you get bass from your sub?

Maziar

Comment

• Foxman
          • Jan 2003

Mazuly,
          Thanks for the input. I do get sub bass with movies be it DTS or DD. I get sub bass with my DD in any format. I get sub bass with my cd player and the 1066 set in any format except DTS music. The only two ways I am not getting sub bass is DTS music and DTS using satelite. I contacted the dealer and he suggested that in the sub setup there was another setting besides yes and no. I am not at home so I wont be able to try the setup until later. He said there was a plus mode. I don't know, they carry a ton of makes and models and I think he is wrong, but I promissed I would check it out. I am just wondering why I have zero bass using DTS on music or sattelite. The sattelite thing I can almost understand, but the way I read the info on DTS I thought it could be used similar to pro logicII. The music really has me puzzled. I do not own a DVDA player, does that matter?

IMO

My Movies
          Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• greggz
            • Jun 2002

Foxman, what is your firmware revision number? If recall correctly one of the recent firmware updates (1.47?) corrected the fact that there was no sub output in DTS:Neo mode if the front mains were set to large.

Gregg
            Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• mazuly
              • Feb 2003

I don't think you need a DVD-A player.

Can somebody else confirm this since I do not have a sub and run my speakers all as large:

When you process 2 channel music using DTS neo6, does it process it to 5.0 channel or 5.1. That might be the reason.

Also I do not know of any special "plus Setting" in sub menu (I just went and check all menus using OSD). Using DTS neo6 you can set the sub level to MAX in sub menu. Then again, my 1066 has firmware 2.22 and the sub menu might be different in other 1066 firmware.

When you get home, check all the following setting and let us know if you get sound from sub:

Set 1066 to DTS neo6
              Set all speakers to small and sub to yes
              set DTS sub to MAX in sub menu

Good luck,
              Maziar

Comment

• mazuly
                • Feb 2003

Oh yes, and make sure that the crossover setting in your sub menu is not set to off. Change it to something like 40Hz.

Good luck,
                Maziar

Comment

• Foxman
                  • Jan 2003

Thanks guys when I get home I will let ya'll know. As far as I can remember my firmware is 2.22, but I will check.

IMO

My Movies
                  Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• greggz
                    • Jun 2002

As far as I can remember my firmware is 2.22
                    For your 2.x bios, the DTS:Neo 6 sub fix was in revision 2.2.4.

Gregg
                    Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• mazuly
                      • Feb 2003

Well I guess you need to upgrade your firmware foxman. Man, I have learned so much about my gear since I have joined this Forum.

Excellent Forum

Maziar

Comment

• Foxman
                        • Jan 2003

Mazuley,
                        Yeah I have learned a ton of stuff here. I usually I just kinda lurk. Ok, well I got home and double checked everything. I think the dealer was talking about having yes, no and max for sub. Through the OSD I turned everything off and reset everything as far as the sub goes. then when I turned it all back on I set the sub to 120hz and set everthing to max for the sub on the RSP-1066. When I played the satelite through the 1066 this time I had sub using DTS. So, I tried DTS music, same thing, I had sub. In fact I had to come down off that max setting on DTS to like +7 same as what I use for Pro Logic. Anyway, my guess is that when I changed my sub crossover setting earlier I must have needed to reset the system? I really don't know why I have it now to be honest, but I do, so I am happy once again. Thanks for everyones input. As far as the firmware, I will upgrade it, but I havent made my cable yet and really just havent been motivated to fool with it.
                        Thanks again,
                        Russ

IMO

My Movies
                        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"