X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

1055/1066 volume

Does anyone know how the volume control is set up on these units? I am familiar with how power output relates to decibel output of a speaker.

What I would like to know is: what does the volume scale on these units represent. In other words, is it linear? Does a volume setting of 40 necessarily mean that the amplifier is receiving 40% of the maximum signal?

This may sound obvious but I know that with some products when the volume knob is positioned at 1/2 that power output is not 1/2.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Most volume controls are either a log dB scale measured in - dB from full gain or a poitive integer read out which is what the Rotel's use. I much prefer the -dB readouts since it means something where the integer method is simply a number that increases as the volume increases until you hit the max. In our case the max isn't even 100 so its even less tied to the amps gain in a way we can understand. I think its pretty linear though on our Rotels but I wouldn't bet that 40 is half as loud as 80 though.

Comment

• Foxman
      • Jan 2003

I have struggled with this same thing. I usually try to watch movies around 60 or 65 on the dial....but have no idea what that means. I just know that that is a comfortable vollume and the windows are on the verge of blowing out when the SVS gets to blowing big air.

You just can't fix stupid
      IMO

My Movies
      Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• mazuly
        • Feb 2003

I have the 1066/1075 combo and have calibrated using SPL meter from Radio Shack. 65 volume from 1066 corresponded to about 75 dB using the pink noise generator of the 1066. Not very accurate, but I hope this helps.

Man you listen to movies laud . I am around 55 for DD and 50 for DTS.

Thanks,
        Maziar

Comment

• Chris3G
          • Sep 2002

seems to me to be pretty much the same as the logarithmic decibel scale used on other units but using positive numbers instead of 0db's as a reference. I have mine calibrated to 75 and the volume at 65 and 55 seem to be equivalent to the volume at (-10) and (-20) on my old receiver.

Comment

• efarstad
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2001

I set the volume control on my 1066 to 75, I then use the trim controls for each speaker to set all db levels to 75 db's us an SPL meter and the 1066's pink noise generator....that way I know exactly what reference level is!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

Comment

• Legairre
              • Jan 2002

Last summer I wrote Rotel and asked what the 1066's equivalent "0" reference point would be for calibrations. I first explained that my old Denon 3300 receiver's volume went from "-60 to +11" with " 0" being the reference point when setting the test tones. The Denon would automatically set itself to "0" whenever you used the test tones. Rotel's response was to set the 1066's main volume to 75 and that would be the equivalent to the Denon's "0" reference point.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
              Radden Home Theater
              Radden Home Theater

Comment

• sndtowne
                • Jan 2003

>

Of course, the SPL vs. volume control readout depends on the efficiency of the speakers, the cubic footage of the room, and furnishings. So - a measurement taken on one system will not work for another - even if the equipment is exactly the same.

Bruce
                Bruce

Comment

• ranzigepad
                  • Jan 2003

Same problem here. I'll have to turn the knob up to 45..50 to get a decent soundlevel. Basicly i hate this. The preamp, amplifies all the internal distortion aswell. Another question, why is 90 the max on the display ?? does it represent decibels or a percentage ???? this is not clear to me. For the record i use a rb-991 for the front channels and a rmb-1075 for the surround channels

Comment

• Chris3G
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ranzigepad
                    Same problem here. I'll have to turn the knob up to 45..50 to get a decent soundlevel. Basicly i hate this. The preamp, amplifies all the internal distortion aswell. Another question, why is 90 the max on the display ?? does it represent decibels or a percentage ???? this is not clear to me. For the record i use a rb-991 for the front channels and a rmb-1075 for the surround channels
                    It doesn't represent a percentage or a decibel level, it's an arbitrary numbering system which seems to follow a logarithmic scale. So it makes perfect sense that you would need 45 or 50 to get a decent sound level. If you calibrate so that DD reference level is 75 on your rotel, then 65 (-10) should be about half as loud as that, and 55 (-20) should be half as loud as 65. So at 55 you would be listening at about 1/4th the volume of full reference level.

Comment

• Legairre
                      • Jan 2002

Sorry to keep bring up my old Denon 3300, but it's volume went from -60 to +11 with 0 as the reference. You really didn't hear any sound out of it until the volume display read about -30. At -10 that thing was really pumping sound. I usually watched movies at -10.

With my 1066's main volume set to 75 and calibrated, my 1066 seems equally as loud at 65 as the Denon did at -10, so in either case it seems that I'm 10db above reference.

Radden Home Theater
                      Radden Home Theater

Comment

• gianni
                        • Nov 2002

Everyone: thanks for the response.

What I'm seeing with my volume settings seems to be in the general range that everyone else is using. I guess all is well even if we are not exactly sure what that volume scale really represents.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"