X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonnyz1245
    • Jan 2003

Damping factor question

I am looking at getting the 1075 to power my Digm studio 40/20/CC
    and am wondering if this is enough power and control for these speakers.

I found a sight that suggests(av101) that this # should be 300 or higher !

the 1075 lists 180 while the 1095 is 400

Could someone plese explain this to me and the RXS 1055 has no specs on this so being that is what I own now how does this affect how well my speakers are driven

thanks
  • WallaceBW
    • Jan 2003

If you REALLY want to know about Damping factor's see...

Damping Factor....

Brian

Comment

• greggz
      • Jun 2002

WallaceBW's link does a great job of explaining it, all I wanted to add was that based on my casual observations, good multi-channel amps will have a dampening factor over 100, great multi-channel amps will have a dampening factor of 400 to 500. I dont think I've seen a multi-channel amp with a dampening factor greater than 500. Great two-channel and mono block-amps can often have a dampening factor of 1000.

Gregg
      Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Trekker
        • Jan 2003

I believe Outlaw Audio's 770 (200wx7) damping factor is 800.

Comment

• Ettepet
          • Jan 2003

T+A has multi-channel amplifiers with damping factors of at least 500 and 1000.

Comment

• WallaceBW
            • Jan 2003

This is all true BUT... the 1075 (with a listed dampening factor of 180) is VERY capable. Your ability to hear the difference between 180 and say the another 120W amp rated at 400 will very greatly depending on the rest of your system... Especially your speakers. if you have large speakers (woofers 12" or greater 'unpowered') and they are of VERY high quality and rated for high power 300W plus it may be percieveable... but this IS NOT THE ONLY IMPORTANT FACTOR when buying amps. THD, Frequency Response, and SNR are a few of the others to consider.

Brian

Comment

• tbusquet
              • Jan 2003

The only time I really experienced some noticable difference in dampingfactor was on my subwoofers, which are powered by a Rotel RB990 with a dampingfactor of >1000.. On all my other speakers it had no audible effect whatsoever. And I'm using B&W604s as fronts on 2 RB976 bridged 6 channel amps which are rated (if I'm correct) about >180.

So it only makes sense to me to invest if a higher dampingfactor if you will be using the amp for sub bass frequencies, with large conuses, since it will make te become more responsive, and your bass will become tighter.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"