Differences Between 1066 And 1055 (as pre/pro)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Simpson
    • Jan 2003

Differences Between 1066 And 1055 (as pre/pro)?

Hey gang, I'm a new guy here; perhaps you might answer a few questions I've got before I drop my dough on some new gear. Specifically, are there any real differences between the 1055 (used as pre-pro only) and the 1066? I really would prefer to not buy another reciever, but Rotel doesn't make it easy, now do they? I don't look forward to spending money on amps I'll never use (already own Parasound 1205A and 1000A) and I really like the idea of true separtates. On the other hand, the 1055 is signifigantly cheaper here in Toronto, and has a tuner, to boot! My impression is that the preamp section of the 1055 is identical to the 1066. Correct, or not? So what of it, fellas? Opinions? Advice? I'm all ears!
    Cheers!

DS.
  • sndtowne
    • Jan 2003

Dave,

You are correct. The preamp features on the RSX-1055 are identical to the RSP-1066. The removal of the tuner and power amp section gives the RSP-1066 a 0.05% lower distortion rating (0.04 vs. 0.09) and a 2 to 3 dB better signal to noise ratio. Are these big differences - no, but it depends of how much of a purist you are.

The truth is - you can't go wrong with either of these units.

(For the purists out there, I know 3 dB is a big change percentage wise, but if the noise is already inaudible it cannot be made "MORE" inaudible. But for some, there is a Phycological benefit of knowing the noise floor is lower even if the difference is inaudible.)

Bruce
    Bruce

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I agree 100 percent with bruce here. I owned the 1066 and switched to the 1055 and didn't notice a difference. The nice thing about the 1055 is that you can use its internal amps to power the rear surrounds in EX/ES mode which would allow you to use a 5 channel amp with the 1055 to get into 6.1 or 7.1. If you already have 7 channels if your mains are bi ampable use four channels for your mains and use the 1055's amps for the rears...bi amping can make a pretty big difference on some speakers and you won't likely ever notice the lower power being used for the rear effects speakers.

Comment

• SayersWeb
        • Dec 2002

Arghh! $#(^*@#$%

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page
        Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• efarstad
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2001

I visited my local Rotel dealer today and we chatted for a bit about the 1066, 1055 and the new 1098.

He said for HT the 1055 and 1066 would be pretty much about the same. BUT for 2-channel the 1066 is a step above with better circuitry, etc. He said Rotel used slightly different and better components inside the 1066 for the music purist that are not in the 1055. Other differences were due to the 1055 creating more heat then the 1066, which equates to differnt internal components as well.

So depending on what your usage is, whether HT or music, this may come into play.

Though it also depends on how could your cables are and how sensitive your speakers are and ESPECIALLY your ears to change!!!

Hope that throws something into the mix...

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

Comment

• sndtowne
            • Jan 2003

>

Erik - I believe your dealer is sincere when he says this, but it is not accurate.
            Bruce

Comment

• mml7
              • Jun 2002

Dave,

Being the purist that I am, I'm strongly against a particular component having extra circuitry that I neither need nor want. While you won't be using the amplifiers in the 1055, the fact is that they're there, and unless they are totally isolated electrically have some affect on the overall sound. The same applies for the tuner; If I really want a tuner, I'll buy one - it'll preserve the sonic qualities of the preamp, but will also offer better sound/performance than the built in one.

Again, I'm more of a purist, and wouldn't consider purchasing a receiver for anything except a second system. In anycase, really try to audition them both side-by-side and let your own ears be the judge.

mike

Comment

• sndtowne
                • Jan 2003

Dave,

I agree with Mike. Andrew has said he has owned an RSP-1066 and now uses an RSX-1055 and cannot tell any difference. I too am unable to tell any difference. But... you might be able to. It would be a good idea to ask your dealer to connect both (not at the same time of course) to a power amp for you to audition. That way, you can have assurance as to which route is best for you.

(Also, from your post, it sounds like you might like to have a tuner so that too might be a consideration.)

Bruce
                Bruce

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"