X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lee O
    • Jan 2003

1055 vs HK 525 Need help

I was all set to get a HK 525,Reasons were Logic 7, Bass Management for SACD/DVDa decent power.After reading Ive found HK has service issues.My next choice is the Rotel 1055.However I will be giving up L7 and BM one the 5.1 inputs and paying more..Is there a big diffrence in PL2 and logic 7?Also I will use Studio 100s front,Studio CC,Center,And Studio 20s for the rears.The sub is an HSU vf2.I also have a 3ch x 200w Acurus amp.If someone would explain the issue with the BM on the 1055 and how it will effect me that would be great.I listen to 2ch 50% and TV,DVD 50%..Any help in this would be great..
    Lee
  • skip marr
    • Jan 2003

Lee,

What type of service issues are you hearing about on the HK's? I too am looking at HK, Rotel, Marantz, and possible Arcam. Thanks for any input.

Comment

• Lee O
      • Jan 2003

Center ch buzz on the 8000.Other problems with the 520 shutting down..drop outs.Not sure but I have read there is no way to set the lfe dts level...Still undecided..But Looking...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I've never tried Logic 7 in my room but if you talk to anyone that has its the greatest thing ever invented That said only the lexicons have the flexibility to adjust L7 to its full potential and the HK 8000 can do some limited adjustments and I beleive the 525 can do even less...also I'm not sure about if you can apply Logic 7 to DD or DTS on the 525? As far as repair history the HK name hasn't been to strong in this dept for several years which is unfortunate since they're a favorite of mine (I own two of their amps).

I would hazard to guess that the rotel would sound better in 2 channel then the HK and hold its own for movies but without hearing a 525 in my system that's just an educated guess based on owning previous HK's and rotels etc.

Comment

• ZX 6R
          • Jan 2003

I work in a retail establishment that sells both HK and Rotel. I am dismayed to hear of the potential problems some folks seem to be haveing regarding service. HK has always been fairly good to us(we are in Canada not sure if this is what is making the difference). In fact that's one of the things we really like about HK. When bugs appear they usually readily admit it and will generally try and provide a fix as opposed to shrugging the shoulders and telling the customer to wait for the next gen when the unit will be fixed.

Now having said all that, the RSX 1055 and the 525 are really very different creatures! The RSX is a MUCH better sounding piece in both HT and music( much better bass definition, greater channel separation, better dynamics, better soundstage and imaging). For someone doing as much as 50% listening to music there isn't any choice there, the Rotel will clearly win. For someone looking to do 7 channel, or multizone then obviously the 525 makes a compelling case. One other caveat regarding the 525 is when driven hard the fans can be a little distracting if the receiver is pretty close to you. All 7 channel receivers, especially the powerful ones have have problems with heat dissipation so they need LOTS of airspace around them.

Anyways that's just .02 cents worth :P

Comment

• Lee O
            • Jan 2003

Thanks for the replys.More ?s In another home Im using a Lexicon DC1 V3.When using digital cable if I go from an analog ch from a digital I lose sound Because Ive choose digital for that input,,.My Yamaha has an auto feature the will select this for me.Does the 1055 have this feature..Also If I listen to 50% music is there a direct analog input?Is this the input that is effected by double bass.I did not mention I also use a 2ch Rotel 1075 pre.Front L&R preouts from the Yamaha to an aux input on the 2 ch pre.Then I set speaker levels with volume level set to 12 on the pre.I would love to take this out of the mix...Again Thanks for all the help..
            Lee

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"