What are the major improvements of the 1055 compared with an HK520? Are they worth $700

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stewlevine
    • Jan 2003

What are the major improvements of the 1055 compared with an HK520? Are they worth $700

I'm upgrading my old stereo receiver and planning on getting an AV receiver that I can use as the foundation for a new home theater system that I will build over time. I'm looking for something I will be happy with for years to come for both music and movie watching.

I've bought, but not yet opened a Harmon Kardon 520 which seemed like a real good bye at $470 since it is at its end of life, but I keep on hearing about the great sound out of Rotel receivers (in fact I already have a Rotel CD player). So I figured I'd ask the owners since no store in Dallas carries both HK and Rotel together to hear them side by side...

What would I get for the extra $700 I would be spending on the Rotel RSX 1055, and in your opinion, is it worth it?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Since you're planning on keeping the receiver for some time the fact that the Rotel is upgradable might come into play down the road and help extend its life. Since you have Rotel dealers near by could you borrow one on load or buy it to do a demo at home against the HK? Most places will take returns so that's likely the best way for you to find out one way or the other.

Comment

• stewlevine
      • Jan 2003

I will check out the loaning option, the ears are probably the best test.

But about the unit's upgradeability, although I have heard a lot mentioned about that, was does that actually mean in practical terms? I've seen one thing on the Rotel web site about a software upgrade to the 1066, but nothing on this product, or a good sense of what could be improved over time. It's not as though I could put a bigger amp in there down the road or add more connections to the back panel...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

What ever upgrades are offered for the 1066 are also applied to the 1055 since they're basically the same thing. As for what can be upgraded that depends...most of the things are simple issues like fixing how the display works or editing user preferences but there have been a few more substantial upgrades like the bass managment and adding DD-EX support. If PLIII ever comes out it might be something that could be added via firmware...

For an example take a look at the Sony TA-E9000ES pre amp that's been out of a long time...with the firmware upgrades it got its still touted as a good pre amp even though its getting long in the tooth.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"