X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Recommended PC-USB buffer size for Rotel RC-1590

I have recently purchased a Rotel RC-1590 preamp. The RC-1590 includes an in-built DAC that supports asynchronous USB input. I have connected my Windows/iTunes laptop to the RC-1590 via USB. Rotel supplies PC-USB driver software to support the playback of hi-res music files, and I have installed this software on my laptop. Unfortunately Rotel does not provide any documentation to support their driver software.

I want to optimise the “Preferred ASIO Buffer Size” in the driver software. The options range from 8 samples to 2048 samples. Can anyone please advise me on the optimal setting?

I am delighted with the sound of my new RC-1590 preamp. I am using it with a brand new pair of B&W 803D2 speakers that have been sitting in their boxes for eight years following the Christchurch earthquakes (it’s a long story). I was immediately impressed by the sound of my new system, so perhaps the buffer size setting is irrelevant?

Nigel.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Hey Nigel.

This will take a little bit experimenting as every computer is different and the goal is to get a minimal as you can without causing latency and stuttering of the music.

I typically start from as little as I care to go and then work my way up if need be. For me, I tend to start off with 128 and go up the scale like computer memory (binary style). So if 64 causes some drops in the sound, then move to 128, then 256, then 512, and 1024, then 2048. The lower the number the more you are directly streaming the music and not buffering it in an unnecessary buffer.

A really well done PC that isn't very latent will normally go around 64 to 128 (I think 128 is where my music player sits). But sometimes it's tough to get things that streamlined and optimized on the computer to do that. I have to say (not knowing what version of windows you're using) that there are definitely some optimization programs out there like Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer, and a few others that I can't think of right off the top of my head. These help with limiting the amount of "extracurricular activity" the computer is doing when playing music. I use Audiophile Optimizer myself and really have had good success with it. I do a windows server 2016 in core mode using Foobar2000 to play all my stuff and it works really well and sounds fantastic.

Just test and see for yourself, it's a little tough to explain what you'll hear (or not hear) when you get the Buffer size down as small as you can...but I think it can really make a difference. Lower is better!

-Dan
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

thanks for the help, Dan!

i see we have my PC set at 1000.
      i too, run windows & foobar....
      it is actually Dan's old system he set up for me....!!!!!!

i would not have a clue how to do this stuff on my own......
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Thanks for your help guys. Your advice is consistent with what I've read elsewhere. I had read that low is good so I set it to 16 initially and it sounded fine - no crackles or pops over three days of constant use. I've since set it to 64 because … well … I don't want any nasty surprises I suppose. It hasn't missed a beat so far at any setting.

Dan, you said that "a really well done PC that isn't very latent will normally go around 64 to 128". Well my PC is a 10 year old Compaq laptop with a Celeron processor, Windows 7 and 2 Gb of RAM. I reinstalled W7 from scratch and followed these instructions: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...for-windows-7/.

The end result is a system that sounds amazingly good. I credit the 'new' 803 D3 speakers and the new RC-1590 preamp. No break-in period was required for either, i.e. I didn't have to adjust to the disappointing sound by acknowledging that I'd paid a lot of money and an immediate alternative wasn't going to be forthcoming so I just needed to harden up and accept my lot in life. Well that's what break-in means to me! No siree. I got a captivating sound from the very first song.

All the best,
        Nigel.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"