X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Rlc-1040

Hi there. If my power conditioner is powered off, is the connected equipment still protected from surges/lightning strikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

no.
    only cuz power conditioners will not prevent damage due to V high voltage spikes typical of lightning strikes.

they may help with lower level surges & narrow band regulation.

the only sure way to protect your equipment is to unplug it.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• BWLover
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by wkhanna
      no.
      only cuz power conditioners will not prevent damage due to V high voltage spikes typical of lightning strikes.

they may help with lower level surges & narrow band regulation.

the only sure way to protect your equipment is to unplug it.
      Fair enough. Will it do what it can in terms of surges when it is off? Or is the protection it is capable of only available when it's powered on?

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
      Playstation 3
      Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

to the best of my knowledge, it should 'work', or as you put it, "do what it can" regardless of whether is powered on or not.
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• srb
          • Oct 2004

While few component surge protectors can protect against direct lightning strikes, the Rotel RLC-1040 (and the APC H15 on which it is based) will protect against lightning strikes up to its rated capacity of 5200 Joules / 250kA peak current.

It is expected that any telephone or cable systems that are connected to the RLC-1040 will have a proper system ground.

Steve

Comment

• BWLover
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by srb
            While few component surge protectors can protect against direct lightning strikes, the Rotel RLC-1040 (and the APC H15 on which it is based) will protect against lightning strikes up to its rated capacity of 5200 Joules / 250kA peak current.

It is expected that any telephone or cable systems that are connected to the RLC-1040 will have a proper system ground.

Steve
            Right. I was wondering if this protection is still available when the unit is powered off.

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
            Playstation 3
            Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

the protection circuitry is in place & functioning regardless of the 'on' - 'off' condition of the power switch.
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• srb
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                the protection circuitry is in place & functioning regardless of the 'on' - 'off' condition of the power switch.
                I think that's true, the MOV surge protection devices used in the RLC-1040 are passive devices normally in parallel with the receptacles.

Even with other surge technologies, conditioner/surge components like the RLC-1040 are often used to power up and down a complete system often with sequenced delay power-up settings, and it wouldn't make sense that surge protection was disabled when it was used as a master control to power the system down.

Unfortunately, MOVs degrade with successive accumulative surges, and while some conditioners and surge protectors purport to be able to monitor the condition and effectiveness of the MOVs, the RLC-1040 has no such monitoring ability so depending on the number and severity of accumulated surges, it's kind of a question mark if will still provide adequate surge protection.

Steve

Comment

• BWLover
                  • Jan 2009

Rlc-1040

Originally posted by srb
                  I think that's true, the MOV surge protection devices used in the RLC-1040 are passive devices normally in parallel with the receptacles.

Even with other surge technologies, conditioner/surge components like the RLC-1040 are often used to power up and down a complete system often with sequenced delay power-up settings, and it wouldn't make sense that surge protection was disabled when it was used as a master control to power the system down.

Unfortunately, MOVs degrade with successive accumulative surges, and while some conditioners and surge protectors purport to be able to monitor the condition and effectiveness of the MOVs, the RLC-1040 has no such monitoring ability so depending on the number and severity of accumulated surges, it's kind of a question mark if will still provide adequate surge protection.

Steve
                  Is there any way of knowing if the MOV needs replacement? Such as getting it serviced or something?

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                  Playstation 3
                  Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• srb
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by BWLover
                    Is there any way of knowing if the MOV needs replacement? Such as getting it serviced or something?
                    I'm pretty sure the MOVs have to be removed from the circuit and the test procedure isn't simple (which also makes me question the efficacy of surge protectors with MOV monitoring LEDs), so from a labor standpoint replacement is the usual course of action. I have no idea if Rotel performs this replacement or if so, what it would cost.

My RLC-1040 is old enough that the MOVs certainly could be spent and I have no way of knowing how many surges at what level of intensity they've absorbed. The 5200 Joule rating being accumulative could encompass anywhere from 5200 1-Joule surges to 52 100-Joule surges to a single 5200-Joule surge.

That's why non-destructive supressors like the SurgeX series mode are a preferable surge supression technology.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"