X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Butler
    • Jan 2014

RC/RB-1590 review

Hi Everybody,

A new review of the RC-1590, RB-1590 was just published on Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity that I thought worth sharing. One thing to note, the RC-1590 will play back 24/352 files over USB.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
    B&W Group North America
  • justbenice
    • Nov 2013

Dear Patrick,
    I wonder the RB-1590 have a real dedicate XLR board input or just normall signal same as RCA with higher gain?

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Nice review , Patrick! Congrats to Rotel.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Patrick Butler
        • Jan 2014

Hi justbenice,

The RB-1590 uses a dedicated XLR input board.

Regards,

Patrick
        B&W Group North America

Originally posted by justbenice
        Dear Patrick,
        I wonder the RB-1590 have a real dedicate XLR board input or just normall signal same as RCA with higher gain?

Comment

• justbenice
          • Nov 2013

Thank you! So what is it difference with a "fully balanced design end to end" that the review mentioned about?

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

fyi link to Audio Note article on balanced amps
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• justbenice
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by wkhanna
              Thank, but i am not a tech man so i just want to ask what is it difference with a "fully balanced design end to end" that the review mentioned about !

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

wiki link, then.......

maybe not so technical, but still accurate....

edit: add utube link

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by justbenice
                  Thank, but i am not a tech man so i just want to ask what is it difference with a "fully balanced design end to end" that the review mentioned about !
                  My understanding is that when people refer to a "fully balanced design end to end" they mean that the signal remains balanced all the way through all the gain stages, eq, attenuation then power amp gain stage. The disadvantage of this is that is that each stage needs twice the components and each set of components needs to be very carefully matched - in many ways instead of having a stereo pre-amp you are producing a "quad" pre-amp for example. The advantage is that people consider this "purer" in design.

In designs such as the Rotel (and many other designs people would consider "high end") balanced inputs are converted to single ended, pass through the pre-amp then converted back to balanced to be output. When the signal gets to the power amp it is then converted back to single ended before being amplifier for the speakers.

The advantage of this is that at each stage (source to pre; pre to power amp) noise which is picked up on the cabling is removed as it enters the next stage of the process. The disadvantage is that if less that stellar conversion (balance to unbalanced and unbalanced to balanced) is used, there may be loss of fidelity. In many systems avoiding these unnecessary conversions by using single ended (RCA) cabling might actually be preferable (especially in typical situations where you are running <1m cables between devices).

Balanced interconnects come into their own more when using longer interconnects (such as if you place the power amp close to the speakers and the rest of the system more remote) as well as lower level signals such as microphones.

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

thank you, Eloise
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• justbenice
                      • Nov 2013

Thank you Audio_ElF !

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
                        My understanding is that when people refer to a "fully balanced design end to end" they mean that the signal remains balanced all the way through all the gain stages, eq, attenuation then power amp gain stage. The disadvantage of this is that is that each stage needs twice the components and each set of components needs to be very carefully matched - in many ways instead of having a stereo pre-amp you are producing a "quad" pre-amp for example. The advantage is that people consider this "purer" in design.

In designs such as the Rotel (and many other designs people would consider "high end") balanced inputs are converted to single ended, pass through the pre-amp then converted back to balanced to be output. When the signal gets to the power amp it is then converted back to single ended before being amplifier for the speakers.

The advantage of this is that at each stage (source to pre; pre to power amp) noise which is picked up on the cabling is removed as it enters the next stage of the process. The disadvantage is that if less that stellar conversion (balance to unbalanced and unbalanced to balanced) is used, there may be loss of fidelity. In many systems avoiding these unnecessary conversions by using single ended (RCA) cabling might actually be preferable (especially in typical situations where you are running <1m cables between devices).

Balanced interconnects come into their own more when using longer interconnects (such as if you place the power amp close to the speakers and the rest of the system more remote) as well as lower level signals such as microphones.
                        Very nicely , and simply , explained. That's a quality post.
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Swimmerbird123
                          • Apr 2010

Can someone clarify what the power consumption of the RC-1590 is? The review mentioned above states that it is 800W (!), the Rotel Website says 23W and the RC-1590 owners manual says 45W.

Thanks,
                          Swimmer

Edit - Oops, the 800W was for the RB-1590 Amp, not the pre-amp - duh! But then the Rotel website lists the Power Consumption for the RC-1570 as 300W.
                          Last edited by Swimmerbird123; 12 February 2016, 20:25 Friday.

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                            • Jan 2014

Hi Swimmer,

Apologies (and thanks) for pointing out the typos- what a mess. Here are the correct specs:

1. RC-1570. 15 watts consumption.
                            2. RC-1590. 25 watts consumption.
                            3. RB-1590. 800 watts consumption (at peak)

All of the above consume less than .5 watt in standby.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
                            B&W Group North America

Originally posted by Swimmerbird123
                            Can someone clarify what the power consumption of the RC-1590 is? The review mentioned above states that it is 800W (!), the Rotel Website says 23W and the RC-1590 owners manual says 45W.

Thanks,
                            Swimmer

Edit - Oops, the 800W was for the RB-1590 Amp, not the pre-amp - duh! But then the Rotel website lists the Power Consumption for the RC-1570 as 300W.

Comment

• andrewmr
                              • Aug 2015

I'm looking for something to drive a pair of Sonus Faber Mementos and these are starting to grow on me.

Anyone here using the new 1590 in their system? How much better did it sound than the old system (and what was the old system)?

Has anyone seen these show up on the used market?

Comment

• BWLover
                                • Jan 2009

FWIW I have the predecessor to the RB-1590, the RB-1090, and I love it. Had the RB-1080 before that, and RSX-1058 before that.

Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
                                Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                Primacoustic Room Treatments
                                Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                Playstation 3
                                Shaw HD PVR
                                Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  • Jan 2006

the Guarneri Memento appears to be a bit power hungry with a sensitivity of 88dB SPL @ 1 meter, according to the Stereophile review back in 2007.
                                  the 1590 should be a good match.
                                  i have a pair of Jon Marsh's Natalie Portmans' which put similar demands on the power delivery.
                                  mine are supplied by an RB-1090 which has undergone multiple modifications.
                                  but even when the amp was in its original OEM state, the performance was exceptional for the price.
                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

very good thread guys. Audio manufacturers usually list minimizing noise with XLR connections in the manuals, while it is true technically. The explanation above that it matters most on longer runs, or in a high noise environment. I can't remember the specifics right now. I've slept to many times since I knew most of this. But generally, for XLR to really be of true benefit, we are talking 15 meter and longer cables. (from there 50-100 feet in length) Then you better have XLR for sure, and not use unbalanced connections. (RCA)

Thanks Patrick and others for your input.

Doug
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• BWzes03
                                      • Oct 2005

Guys,

I'm currently running a Rotel RC-1090 into 2 RB-1080's for my stereo system. I'm trying to see if the new RC-1590 will be a on the par in performance.
                                      I really like the convenience of the built-in DAC (currently using a Cambridge DACmagic 100 for my streaming network player) and the added sub outputs.
                                      However, I'm not sure if it will be a step 'back' or not ...
                                      Anybody done a A-B between the RC-1090 & RC-1590 who can shed some light on this ?

Cheers,
                                      Walter

Comment

• Swimmerbird123
                                        • Apr 2010

Does the RC-1590 turn off one of the 12v triggers when headphones are plugged in?

My RC-1082 does, and that allows me to have my amp turn off automatically when the headphones are plugged in. But all I can find in the RC-1590 user manual is this:

"Plugging in a set of headphones does not cut off the signal to the preamp outputs. In most instances you should turn off the power amplifier when listening to headphones."

It says nothing about being able to do that with a trigger, and I'm wondering if I would have to turn off the amp manually each time I plugged in headphones. Can that really be the case?

Swimmer

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                          • Jan 2014

Hi Swimmer,

Both 12V triggers remain on when the headphone jack is in use, so you'll need to manually turn off your amplifier when using headphones.

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
                                          B&W Group North America

Originally posted by Swimmerbird123
                                          Does the RC-1590 turn off one of the 12v triggers when headphones are plugged in?

My RC-1082 does, and that allows me to have my amp turn off automatically when the headphones are plugged in. But all I can find in the RC-1590 user manual is this:

"Plugging in a set of headphones does not cut off the signal to the preamp outputs. In most instances you should turn off the power amplifier when listening to headphones."

It says nothing about being able to do that with a trigger, and I'm wondering if I would have to turn off the amp manually each time I plugged in headphones. Can that really be the case?

Swimmer

Comment

• jpearson
                                            • May 2017

Patrick,

Love my 1590... I do have question for you. I have the RC & RB 1590. When they are both on and I hit the power on the RR AX100 remote to turn them off the preamp powers down. Both blue power buttons are still lit. Does this mean the amp power is actually off??

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"