X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnchabin
    • Sep 2012

RB-990BX Blowing Fuses

Anybody with any experience with this amplifier? I keep blowing a fuse (FU602) in the right channel - the left is ok.

Thanks!

John
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

If you are replacing fuses, then you have the chance to look closely on the circuit board.
    Examine it V closely, inch by inch in a methodical fashion.
    Look for brown spots & traces of localized overheating on the board material.
    Look closely at each capacitor & resistor for signs of overheating like burn marks on resistors & swelling or bulging caps.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• johnchabin
      • Sep 2012

A bit of history - I think the speaker terminals were shorted during a vacuuming incident.

Both fuses on that sides were blown, replaced, and all was well for about a year.

I lost that channel, checked fuses, and saw the electrolytics were leaking badly. I replaced all of them, assuming an open circuit.

I can put in all the fuses except FU602. If I install FU602, it and FU604 both blow immediately. It has been suggested on another forum that I remove and check all the output transistors for shorts from C to E, which would cause a rail to rail short. Sounds reasonable.

Left channel is still working. I have a copy of the technical manual for reference.

That's where I'm at. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Just a few pointers. If you should find shorted output transistors, be sure to replace all of them with a gain-matched set. You want all the transistors draw equal current as closely as possible, so that no single device is stressed more than the others. The emitter resistors help to enforce current sharing among paralleled outputs, but can't be relied on by themselves. Also check the driver transistors. If you started getting blown fuses after replacing the electrolytics, double-check that you installed them correctly. Last but no least, use a variac or dim-bulb tester (a.k.a. "the poor man's variac") to power up when doing repairs, if you are not already doing so.

Dim Bulb Tester

Comment

• johnchabin
          • Sep 2012

Thanks for the tips.

Should I gain-match all the output transistors of the same type? Meaning if I replace any one of the output transistors on a side I should replace all 5?

The electrolytics are triple-checked.

I do have a couple of Variacs in the basement - I forgot about that. I should probably sell one of them.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"