X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heehee62
    • Dec 2010

RSX-1056: why are voices so quiet?

Background music is clear as day but people sound messed up and really quite when on dolby cinema other settings other than something "music".

What can I do to fix this problem?
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I have the RSX-1057 which is basically the same unit. I have so many questions for you that I wouldn't even know where to begin!. Whether your speaker setup is set to 'small' or 'large', all your speakers in your setup should be calibrated to be producing the same 'db' sound level. There is an App that you can use on your phone called 'sound meter' that should do the trick.

Go into the receiver's menu and pull up the menu. Go to the speaker set up and ensure that they are all set to small (If you have a sub) or large, if you have no sub. There will be a 'level' function in there. As soon as you activate it, it will begin to play pink noise. Firstly, set the main volume control of your Rotel to the volume that you would normally listen to music with. Turn on your SPL meter and look at the reading for the left speaker. The Rotel will start with the left speaker pink noise as default. Look at the reading on the meter (ie..78db). Now, scroll down next to the center channel volume pink noise. increase or decrease that level so the it matches the reading you got from the left speaker. Then, move on to the right speaker, then the right and left surrounds. ALL the speakers should have the exact same db reading when done.

I don't know how big your center channel is or whether it's matched to your other speakers. I also do not know if you are playing your movies in Dolby Digital or the older pro-logic format.

Speaker distancing adjustment is also very important. In that same menu, there will be a function whereby you tell the Rotel how far each speaker is from the listening position in feet. Make sure you do that adjustment too.

If none of this fixes your problem, your center channel is probably having trouble competing with your main speakers. You could always increase the volume of the center channel speaker easily right on the remote itself. It's a button near the bottom with a 'C' on it. click it and then use the up arrow next to it to increase it's volume if necessary. However, in a perfect setup, that should rarely if never have to be adjusted.....especially if you are playing your movies in DTS or Dolby Digital.

Good luck !!
    Last edited by madmac; 16 June 2013, 10:05 Sunday.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• maclick
      • Dec 2011

Great info madmac thanks.
      Rotel RSX 1055

Comment

• JimP
        • Jul 2005

Did you find a solution to your problem?

If you haven't, are you using identical speakers across your front 3? I know of a system where the center channel isn't anything like the front left and right speakers. At certain times, you can't hear voices clearly enough. I suspect that it's mostly caused by being a mismatch.

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by madmac
          If none of this fixes your problem, your center channel is probably having trouble competing with your main speakers. You could always increase the volume of the center channel speaker easily right on the remote itself.
          I agree, just lift the center level by a few db, and you will notice the dialogue become more prominent. This is not an uncommon problem. The center channel level (relative to left/right) varies between movies - which is probably why there's a button to compensate for it right there on the remote.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"