This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KMD
    • Apr 2003

Hello everybody Now that I got my first post out the way here's my second. It concerns me about this poping problem that people are talking about. Becuase I hav'nt even taking the plastic off it yet.I also have a 1066, 1075 combo I do have sound tec comming over thursday to set up. Is there any thing in particular to have him do? All this high tec talk is above my head,but I know good sound when I hear it. THx

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

KMD the vast majority of us Rotel owners haven't had any issues with poping so you're likely in the clear. If you do have a problem and its a new machine simply exchange it for a new one.

Comment

• KMD
        • Apr 2003

Andy thanks for a quick answer, I know some of these question must get repetitive , but when its you who spent a pretty penny you can get concerned. This is all new to me last big investment was 14yrs ago on a 2 channel system that I still have.That still sounds good to me. THx

Comment

• martin
          • Jan 2003

>BUMP<

We must not forgot this issue.

My HT Homepage
          My HT Homepage

Comment

• Ron Reda
            • Jan 2003

Just like another poster above, I too have the "ticking" issue that I hear from my speakers. I encounter this when I lower the volume (from my remote) after the volume has been set to near-reference levels.

Comment

• JP
              • Feb 2003

So my unit is getting exchanged. As soon as it does I will let you all know the outcome!

JP

Comment

• martin
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by JP
                So my unit is getting exchanged. As soon as it does I will let you all know the outcome!

JP
                JP.

Do they know what the problems are?

My HT Homepage
                My HT Homepage

Comment

• JP
                  • Feb 2003

Actually no. they are exchanging it out of courtesy. Which I really appreciate! Rotel is a great company. Now, some interesting news! I was on my way to xchange it and it became too late, so I have to wait till this upcoming Wed. (only day I have free). But after having the unit unplugged for about an hour or so ( i decided to re-arrange my rack) it no longer pops from the sub!!!! i am at a lost!!!! and get this! the audio dropping out from SAT with a digital connection is gone!. (it still has a slight pop from the spkrs, but calibrating from a -4 or -5 takes the majority of it away. So I must be going insane, cause i don't understand this. I will contact Tim from Rotel and say thanks, but I guess no thanks. I feel so bad that I had him do all this and now its working. Now if we could get the unit updated with DTS 24/96 and have the front display say DTS or Dolby across the front would be a dream come true. I can always dream

so overall I am very happy with the unit, ans I suppose the unit reset it self, but who knows!

JP

Comment

• martin
                    • Jan 2003

JP

So what you saying is, that we have to remove the electrical wire for an hour or so, and all popping problems are fixed??

Do we have to re calibrated all settings after ?

My HT Homepage
                    My HT Homepage

Comment

• kendrid
                      • Dec 2002

I will try unplugging my 1055 for an hour tonight and see what happens. Unplugging the unit every day won't be an acceptable solution, but it will be interesting if it 'fixes' the problem. Maybe it will help the Rotel engineers out.

------
                      Kevin
                      ------
                      Kevin

Comment

• kendrid
                        • Dec 2002

I unpluggeed my unit for 12 hours and the popping went away. I plugged it back in and in 12 more hours I expect the popping to come back. I will know tomorrow morning.

I DO use the standby feature, so pushing the button won't work for me. I am confused about Direct and Standby. The manual isn't clear at all. I left my system set to Direct to see if it is different than Standby.

------
                        Kevin
                        ------
                        Kevin

Comment

• JP
                          • Feb 2003

Sorry I hav'nt responded sooner. The pop is indeed gone after this 'reset' all I get from the sub is a very slight movement of the cone. Not audible form setaing location.

so I'm happy!

jp

Comment

• gshisme
                            • May 2003

Add me to the bunch. My 1066 is about two weeks old now and just started with the popping thing yesterday when I was switching surround modes while listening to a cd. Will experiment further tonight. I too will exchange for a new unit should the problem persist. After reading this forum I'm not about to go through a trial and error session, just simply return the unit.

Kind of curious how close the serial numbers are on these units with the popping. Seems to be a recent occurance.

suds, suds, and more suds

Comment

• gshisme
                              • May 2003

I verified my statement in the above post. In addition the noise comes only from my sub and doesn't start till the 1066 has been operating for more than 15 minutes(I keep it on standby). Interesting is the fact that I didn't notice the popping untill after I moved my sub from the front to the rear of the room using a different outlet. Just coincidence perhaps but will check on that tommorow. :?
                              edit: So much for just returning the unit. Decided to check on a few things before I go that route. thought Rotel might appreciate the results from my experimenting.

Comment

• vfrjim
                                • Apr 2003

I called Rotel yesterday and asked them about the popping noise and they are aware of it and are working towards a fix, the problem is that in the country that they are trying to fix it, they do not have Direct TV and it seems like the STB's are the cause of it in many instances. If you have another device that causes it, you should call them and let them know so that they can simulate that on their test bench.

Jim

Comment

• gshisme
                                  • May 2003

After spending the day playing with my rig I'm convinced the popping is associated with surround mode switching. Whenever the current surround mode is interupted, whether changing channels on the echostar 6000 receiver or switching tracks on a cd or dvd on my H/K 25 player there is a pop. Just watch the display on the 1066 and as soon as it picks an audio mode..pop. During the first 15-25 minutes of use after powering up the system there is no noise but after that period it starts. Also the popping comes through all speakers, not just the sub as I stated in an earlier post.
                                  Hope to speak with Mr. Wyatt on Monday concerning this matter.

My posts on this subject are by no means discrediting Rotel products. Just hoping to find a solution to this problem. Rotel in my mind makes fantastic products for the money and anybody who has listened to them or owns them would surely agree.

Comment

• martin
                                    • Jan 2003

All the incomming digital signals are making the popping noise problems to the 1066. layer change DVD, track switch CD, or when you selecting a DSP mode, all that things making the 1066 to pop. I have NO any problems with analog signals.

My HT Homepage
                                    My HT Homepage

Comment

• kendrid
                                      • Dec 2002

gshisme-
                                      What you describe is exactly what I found with my 1055. I spoke to Tim Wyatt and explained everything in detail. For me it only occurred after the unit was 'warmed up', and only with surround modes.

I returned my 1055. I am hoping they find a fix fairly soon. Right now I have two 'high-end' receivers in my home to try. Neither matches the Rotel for 2 channel. The issues the first NAD T762's had are reported to be fixed, so I am going to try one of them.

------
                                      Kevin
                                      ------
                                      Kevin

Comment

• gshisme
                                        • May 2003

Well the popping is GONE! After a nasty post directed towards Rotel support and my dealer which I just deleted out of embarrassment I have found the problem. The Rotel 1066 is 100% and the problem seems to be a conflict between the Rotel and another manuacturer's product which is a line filter/surge protector. Will test for a couple of more days before posting my results but like I said it looks like the problem is solved and right now I feel like the freagin a-hole for bashing the wrong people.

Greg

Comment

• martin
                                          • Jan 2003

Greg, thats great news, so did you found the problem or rotel ?

To fix the problem, is this to do by our selfs or via rotel.

thanks too help us out.

My HT Homepage
                                          My HT Homepage

Comment

• gshisme
                                            • May 2003

martin,

I pretty much found it on my own. Spent two whole weekends swapping components and cables with friends and some loaner components from my dealer. The dealer wanted to hook it up to one of their systems before returning it to Rotel and guess what..no popping. With that result I knew it was either a conflict between the 1066 and another component in MY rack or just a bad component or cable. I did one more test this morning and see how it reacts today.

Anyway it is a simple fix that has nothing to do with the Rotel stuff. Will post results later today. Just want to make sure I'm absolutely convinced of the culprit before posting! 8 hours later and still no popping

Greg

Comment

• Azeke
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2003

Greg,

That is wonderful news. Great diagnostic skills, I am sure Club Rotel members await your analysis with great anticipation.

Great job,

Azeke

Comment

• gshisme
                                                • May 2003

To all popping victims..here are my results: DUHHHHHHH!! It is back after a 14 hour absence. ops: :evil: Yesterday after swapping out a Panamax Surge/Line Filter for a Monster and crimping new satellite and antenna coax cables to run through the protector the pop was gone for the remainder of the day and night (14 hours). Decided this morning to switch back to the Panamax just to verify my results and sure enough..pop. OK, just swap back to the Monster and everything will be okay again..WRONG. It is back and I can't get rid of it now.

Sorry to all those Rotel popping victims for getting your hopes up (and mine) but I give up. Returning the unit on Tuesday to the dealer. Let Rotel figure this damn thing out.

The one thing bothering me the most about this popping thing is that Jim Wyatt or Wyantt seems to think the problem is occuring in MY system and not the Rotel even after numerous e-mails and phone calls from some Rotel owners experiencing the same thing. Well for awhile I gave him the benefit of doubt but now I beg to differ. There IS no process of elimination left in my system. No more posts from me..I'm tired of making an ass out of myself trying to figure this out.

Greg

Comment

• gd
                                                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by gshisme
                                                  I'm tired of making an ass out of myself trying to figure this out.
                                                  You are most certainly NOT making an ass out of yourself... you're doing a thorough job troubleshooting an intermittent problem, the toughest thing to do in this hobby... even though it seems this isn't happening to many units, it is nonetheless a recurring event in some, and seems to be an electrical problem of some kind... something not anticipated when units went into production, something that never showed up in testing.

Hope Rotel can make it right for you, and that you continue to post results (unless you're bailing out altogether for another make)... they sorta seem aware, but intermittent electrical blips are the worst to track down... I'm still keeping the 1066 at the top of my to-get list (don't want the 1098, don't like the video monitor), and waiting to see if a fix can be accomplished... so, thanks for posting!
                                                  greg (gd to you)
                                                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• gshisme
                                                    • May 2003

jd, absolutely keep it at the top of the list!

My last post was the typical frustration post. Dang I thought I had it figured.

Greg

Comment

• sounddog
                                                      • Feb 2003

Would anybody else be interested in compling a list of serial number of affected units and countries they were purchased in and possibly what sources and power amps they are being used with.

I'll start the boat ...

RSP1066 S/N: 971-2471198
                                                      Sources: Pioneer 757ai DVD, Tivo, Pioneer LD, JVC VCR
                                                      Power Amps: Rotel RB991, RMB1075

Vikki

Edit ... forgot to say its a UK model

Comment

• gshisme
                                                        • May 2003

Great Idea..Just swapped my unit with a new one..fingers crossed

Serial: 071-238xxxx old unit
                                                        Sources: H/K 25 DVD
                                                        Echostar 6000 HDTV receiver
                                                        Pioneer "vintage" turntable
                                                        Rotel phono preamp
                                                        Panamax 5100 line filter/surge protector
                                                        firmware:2.22 (I think)(led looked like this..2,2,2, plus the date which I forgot. Somewhere in my posts I have the date listed. Will search for it and update my post here.
                                                        date:
                                                        Amp: Rotel 1075

Comment

• gshisme
                                                          • May 2003

New unit..no more popping..nuff said

Soundog, my new unit is only 17 digits different from the old unit and no popping. Go figure

Greg

Comment

• zeppelin
                                                            • May 2003

My RSP1066 is new, just got it about 2weeks go, with firmware 2.2.5 the latest I guess and the remote is RR1050.
                                                            I can still hear those poping noise very minor and subtle on my subwoofer whenever I change all the mode.
                                                            On the 5 speakers I dont get any poping noise. Maybe because the speakers cant get the lower frequency poping.
                                                            My sub is set at 40hz both on RSP1066 and my Yamaha sub YST SW500.
                                                            It does not bother me actually cause its not so obvious and I got to put my ear inside the subwoofer hole to hear that poping noise.

Comment

• sounddog
                                                              • Feb 2003

Well we took our 1066 back to the dealer yesterday and he was saying how a lot of amps (both AV and stereo) have a small clicking noise when adjusting the volume.

Anyway he connected it up and immediately said ... "well thats not right" ... so monday it's winging our way back to Rotel / B&W to be sorted ... so we'll see how B&W Uk are at sorting out problems.

Anyway ... hope you all have lots of sympathy for us as we have no surround at the moment :-( just the pre-out's from our Telly for stereo into the RB991 ... bit of a weird mix but it works surprisingly well.

Vikki

Comment

• gshisme
                                                                • May 2003

----we have no surround at the moment----

sounddog..Why didn't the dealer replace the unit with a new one? I would have demanded a new one..even the dealer admitted there was a problem. Rotel and my dealer have been pretty good to me. After I demanded a new unit my dealer had no problem with that and in addition Rotel is sending me an ugrade cable for free..well I pay the shipping.

Man I feel for ya. No Rotel....that sucks. Kind of like having your Jag replaced by a KIA!

Comment

• sounddog
                                                                  • Feb 2003

Well ... we're going to let them send it back to Rotel / B&W and see what they say as the first step. I trust that they (the Dealer) will do all right by us and not let Rotel drag their feet.

Will give it a day or so ... then start hastling them.

Vikki

Comment

• Mary
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2003

Sounddog
                                                                    Did you hear anything on your 1066?

And a note to all in the popping section-
                                                                    I began to have trouble with the delay of the 1066 when DVDs were switching between Dolby 5.1 to Prologic II in the special features. Also I would get an occasional "pop” - when switching to other modes. This occurred more so when it had been in use for several hours. I called my my sales tech I work with and he was unaware of the "popping problem". I mentioned Club Rotel to him and gave him the site address to take a look. But even before he got off the phone with me he told me he would make the arrangements to get me a new one. That day if possible. He made the calls on his end but no one got back to him. The weekend caused a delay but I pick the new one up today. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
                                                                    I don't have the serial number handy to post it.
                                                                    I will post again when I have it up and running again - hopefully without the popping problem.
                                                                    mary

Comment

• sounddog
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2003

Well..............

We talked to our dealer yesterday (Tuesday) and he said the Rotel engineer said that it did not sound right. He then tried it on some of the other Rotels they had their and some of them did the same thing!

Apparently the engineers boss had the day of tuesay. So supposedly was going to talk to him wednesday about what they are going to do, was some mention of calling Japan.

Anyway our delaer said that Rotel would call him back Thursday.

When we hear we will let you lot know

Sounddog.

It was more noticable on the higher level inputs. So more noticable when playing a cd then listening to a movie.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Sep 2002

Sounddog,

Did the dealer indicate whether the testing was done on new units that had not yet been shipped? If they're all pretty new and of recent production, that would indicate that the problem is intermittent and not necessarily able to be tracked by serial number. It would also indicate against a firmware problem in that they probably would all have the exact same firmware installed.

Anyway, for the record, I don't have the popping sound and my serial number is 971-233XXXX.

Keith
                                                                        Keith

Comment

• gshisme
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • May 2003

Hello,

Just a mention that my second unit which has the same firmware version 2.22 as the first unit that was swapped because of the popping and the serial # being only 15 digits difference hasn't a trace of popping.

Greg

Comment

• vfrjim
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Apr 2003
                                                                            • 36

Well, I tried another HDTV set-top box and it pops with the 1066 also, this time it was the Samsung SIR-TS160, same problems as the Hughes E86, this box even has a coax connector in addition to the Toslink one, both made the popping when switching from or to Dolby Digital/Prologic, come on Rotel, give us a FIX, P-L-E-A-S-E....

Jim

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Mar 2003
                                                                              • 73

#83
                                                                              Just thought that I would document that my first 1066 2.2.4, with 1050 remote, (sorry did not write down the serial number before the dealer took the unit) had a popping problem and has been returned to Rotel by the dealer. The pop was really loud but was isolated to the rear left surround channel. The dealer came out and tested everything starting with speakers and working backward to the processor.

Just thought that I would note that the left surrround channel did not pop right out of the box. The problem started gradually but then went South. This leads me to believe that it is a very good idea to leave the processor powered up for the first couple of weeks of usage just to make sure that nothing is wrong with it. The dealer was very supportive in all of this. He brought a brand new unit out and hooked everything up and as noted above, tested the complete system before returning the original unit. He indicated that he is willing to return as many as it takes to make sure that I get a good unit. Also, he indicated that this is the first Rotel 1066 that he has seen with this problem. Needless to say, I am very pleased with my dealers customer service.

It seems ironic that I would get a unit with a popping problem after spending so much time on this forum! So far the second unit is performing very well. There is a very subtle blip (I cannot really call it a pop) when changing surround modes, channels via the satellite receiver, etc. I went in and listened to the dealer's display 1066 and some Classe A equipment and both display units made a similar sound when changing modes, etc. and so, I am assuming that a very subtle blip is normal whereas loud pops are not.

Comment

• martin
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2003
                                                                                • 29

#84
                                                                                The Subtle blip is normal, when your switching channels.

My HT Homepage
                                                                                My HT Homepage

Comment

• geareng
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2003
                                                                                  • 5

#85
                                                                                  To further add to the forum, I purchased my 1066 about a month ago, and as of yet I have no popping sound. My firmware version is 2.2.6, and I am also running the processor with a 1075 amp. Should popping start to happen, I will advise.

I am also new to this forum, and I must thank everyone for there input over the past months that I have been reading, it surely has been a help.

Also, I hope everyone has a great holiday season!!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2003
                                                                                    • 1204

#86
                                                                                    I've had my 1066 for about 7 months and it only recently started popping. Going to upgrade firmware from 2.2.2 to the latest and see what happens. Seems very odd that this would set in after more than 30 days. Usually, components exhibit some infant mortality, but if they survive, they run for years without problems. Very Odd, and not confidence inspiring towards Rotel's build qulity.

Jerry Rappaport

Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075/RB-1050
                                                                                    Klipsch RF7C/RC7C/RS7/RS3 SVS PB2+
                                                                                    Bravo D1 DVD
                                                                                    Dish Network 6000U HD
                                                                                    Ultravision 65" HDTV
                                                                                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• hoekie
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2004
                                                                                      • 7

#87
                                                                                      Hello,
                                                                                      I have also the combo rsp-1066 and the rmb-1075.
                                                                                      When I changed the channel from dolby digital to dts I got a "small" or should I say a "little" popping on my speaker(s) or is it only the sub ?!
                                                                                      No I think the speakers makes the noise.

It is only a few month's old and I thought it is or was normal because I read a lot of this bug on this forum.

Should I go back to my dealer ?

Regards,
                                                                                      Alex

(and all the best wishes for 2004!!)

Comment

• Alex Tang
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2008
                                                                                        • 64

#88
                                                                                        I can see this is an old thread, but I just bought a used Rotel 1055 and also have this annoying popping noise (pup ... pup ....) . They only comes out from the rear surround, and more often on the right. It is more frequent when I just start it, and it got less frequent. But it still comes randomly. Unlike other people, mine pops even I didn't change anything. I am not even playing any music. Just turn it on, let it sits there, and it pops!! So, at the beginning, I though there is some interference. I tried everything I can think of. I unplug everything but just the surround speakers, still pops. I unplug the surge protector and plug it directly into the wall, still pops. I adjust the tone to -3, still pops. I move away all other equipment (cable box, DVD, sub) just in case there are interference, still pops. Since many people says they don't have it anymore after switching the unit, and obvious, not in my case. So, is this a defect in Rotel product, or is it a software or set up issue? I don't think it is set up because I tried unplug everything. I can believe such a expensive equipment has a problem like this. Please help.

Comment

• gp4Jesus
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2010
                                                                                          • 60

#89
                                                                                          I hav an RSP 1068 w/the same popping problem. Either the left front channel, sub or both. What do I do?
                                                                                          Samsung 60" LED
                                                                                          Outlaw Audio 976
                                                                                          Samsung BDP, Dish Network

BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
                                                                                          Canare 14 ga - LCR inside; CC outside
                                                                                          LR: RTi A7 Triamped
                                                                                          M & T: Rotel RB-981
                                                                                          Bass: Rotel RB-980BX ->8ga in & out

CC: Rotel RB981 -> CSi A6 Bi-amped
                                                                                          SW: LFE - Sunfire; Audio Pro Evidence @ each corner
                                                                                          Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> RTi A3
                                                                                          Power Conditioning & Distribution: APC H15, 4 Furman Miniport 20s; 3 dedicated 20A feeds

Comment

• gp4Jesus
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2010
                                                                                            • 60

#90
                                                                                            RSP 1068 w/firmware "1.4 - 040217"*. popping just from right speaker when I change inputs, SS decoding, or pressing certain controls to my Sony DVD player.
                                                                                            * at least that's what I see in the display after pressing mute for several seconds

thnx in advance for anyone's help on this. i thought only mine did this

tony
                                                                                            Samsung 60" LED
                                                                                            Outlaw Audio 976
                                                                                            Samsung BDP, Dish Network

BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
                                                                                            Canare 14 ga - LCR inside; CC outside
                                                                                            LR: RTi A7 Triamped
                                                                                            M & T: Rotel RB-981
                                                                                            Bass: Rotel RB-980BX ->8ga in & out

CC: Rotel RB981 -> CSi A6 Bi-amped
                                                                                            SW: LFE - Sunfire; Audio Pro Evidence @ each corner
                                                                                            Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> RTi A3
                                                                                            Power Conditioning & Distribution: APC H15, 4 Furman Miniport 20s; 3 dedicated 20A feeds

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"