Anyone want to help me "properly" set up my RSX-1550?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mintchris
    • Jun 2009

Anyone want to help me "properly" set up my RSX-1550?

So I have had a 1550 for a few years now and while I love it, I am starting to think it is not set up properly. I did it myself at the time and it all sounded good but lately when I go into HIFI shops and even Best Buy and listen to their set ups they always sound better than mine. Like more dynamic and with more impact during movies.
    So I think maybe I buggered the settings. Anyone want to walk me thru setting it up?
    I am using B&W 805's and an HTM4S.
    Much appreciated!!!
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mintchris
    So I have had a 1550 for a few years now and while I love it, I am starting to think it is not set up properly. I did it myself at the time and it all sounded good but lately when I go into HIFI shops and even Best Buy and listen to their set ups they always sound better than mine. Like more dynamic and with more impact during movies.
    So I think maybe I buggered the settings. Anyone want to walk me thru setting it up?
    I am using B&W 805's and an HTM4S.
    Much appreciated!!!
    Believe it or not, most HT setups in stores are NOT properly set up and sound big and boomy to impress people and give them a 'wow' effect!.

What you need to do first is to read the manual to see what the unit is capable of doing and how to make adjustments. You then need to get yourself an SPL meter, or you can use an SPL app on your PDA phone as well. Adjust all your speaker volumes carefully so that they all match each other. Take these readings from your normal listening position.Also, you will need to tell the Rotel how far each of the speakers are from the listening position (sweet spot) in feet.

The subwoofer is another thing however. I'm a big fan of adjusting a subwoofer's volume with music. Put on some simple, well recorded jazz that uses an upright bass. Adjust the sub's volume so that the bass sounds 'real' and correct in volume relation to the other instruments and vocals. I also recommend the 'benchmark' sub crossover of 80 hz for most setups.

After all that, your system is properly adjusted, regardless of what the boomy stores setup sounds like!!! :T
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mintchris
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by madmac
      Believe it or not, most HT setups in stores are NOT properly set up and sound big and boomy to impress people and give them a 'wow' effect!.

What you need to do first is to read the manual to see what the unit is capable of doing and how to make adjustments. You then need to get yourself an SPL meter, or you can use an SPL app on your PDA phone as well. Adjust all your speaker volumes carefully so that they all match each other. Take these readings from your normal listening position.Also, you will need to tell the Rotel how far each of the speakers are from the listening position (sweet spot) in feet.

The subwoofer is another thing however. I'm a big fan of adjusting a subwoofer's volume with music. Put on some simple, well recorded jazz that uses an upright bass. Adjust the sub's volume so that the bass sounds 'real' and correct in volume relation to the other instruments and vocals. I also recommend the 'benchmark' sub crossover of 80 hz for most setups.

After all that, your system is properly adjusted, regardless of what the boomy stores setup sounds like!!! :T
      That's great info! Thanks!!
      I am curious about what mode I am supposed to have it in for audio. When I pull up the menu it says the mode is "prologicII" I think. Is that correct or should it be something else? I am running a ps3 into the 1550 via HDMI.
      Also what about contour settings?
      Thanks again!!

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

In the Rotel menus, there is an audio option for each of the inputs. All you have to do is tell it what default 'mode' you want it to play for each input (ie...2ch stereo or 5ch stereo for CD). For digital inputs, even if the default is Pro logic, it will automatically go into Dolby Digital or DTS if fed that signal. It will only play Pro logic if fed a stereo signal.

I prefer 5ch stereo listening for music but that's a personal choice.

As I mentioned above, you have a really nice piece of equipment there. Open the manual and read what it can do!!. You will need the unit to be hooked up to a monitor to see and adjust the menus.

Comment

• srb
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by madmac
          I prefer 5ch stereo listening for music but that's a personal choice.
          I often listen to music in 5 Channel Stereo mode as well. However, when the speaker levels are properly calibrated and the rear speakers have the perfect volume for Dolby and DTS soundtracks, I find that the rear volume is too high for 5 channel stereo music listening.

It would be nice to have Rear Surround Volume buttons on the remote for quick on-the-fly rear volume adjustment, rather than having to go into the speaker setup menu and individually adjust the Rear Left and Rear Right levels (and restore them back to calibrated levels after the stereo listening session). I'm pretty sure I have seen this feature on a few processor remotes, and when it comes time to upgrade my processor, that is one feature that I may give some priority to.

Steve

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by srb
            I often listen to music in 5 Channel Stereo mode as well. However, when the speaker levels are properly calibrated and the rear speakers have the perfect volume for Dolby and DTS soundtracks, I find that the rear volume is too high for 5 channel stereo music listening.

It would be nice to have Rear Surround Volume buttons on the remote for quick on-the-fly rear volume adjustment, rather than having to go into the speaker setup menu and individually adjust the Rear Left and Rear Right levels (and restore them back to calibrated levels after the stereo listening session). I'm pretty sure I have seen this feature on a few processor remotes, and when it comes time to upgrade my processor, that is one feature that I may give some priority to.

Steve
            That's very odd Steve??. My surrounds do not play too loud at all in 5ch mode. As a matter of fact, It actually sounds like the cd is recorded in 5ch sound (Kinda like SACD). Are you using a Rotel unit?. Are your surrounds the same make and model as your fronts? (that makes a HUGE difference!!). My remote allows for easy adjustment of the surrounds and sub if needed. I use the sub adjustment for bass heavy CD's which easily gets the bass back to where it should be. I never touch the surround levels with my gear.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by srb

Steve
              Which model? All units since the 10 series should have this.

Hit the R button on the remote, then left/right (I think) to do temporary level adjustments for the current input. These are saved until you switch inputs or turn it off. C adjust center, S adjusts sub. I believe once you are in the temp level adjust, up/down will change which speaker you are adjusting.

New 15 series with the smaller remote, just hit SPK to get to adjustment and then up/down, left/right.

Kevin D.

Comment

• srb
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                Which model? All units since the 10 series should have this.
                It's a 10 series and I didn't realize I had the adjustment available on the remote. In 5 Channel Stereo mode I prefer about 70% from the fronts and 30% from the rear surrounds. However, even on the minimum level setting for the surrounds (either -9 or Min), the rears are still a bit too high.

The surrounds are more sensitive than the fronts and require +3dB over the fronts (at 0dB) in the speaker setup, so perhaps if they were more closely matched in sensitivity I might get a little closer to what I want.

Does the 15 series have a greater adjustment range than +/- 9? Also it would be nice if all speaker levels could be memorized independently for different sound modes. On the 10 series, only the subwoofer level can be set independently for each of the different sound modes.

Steve

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by srb
                  It's a 10 series and I didn't realize I had the adjustment available on the remote. In 5 Channel Stereo mode I prefer about 70% from the fronts and 30% from the rear surrounds. However, even on the minimum level setting for the surrounds (either -9 or Min), the rears are still a bit too high.

The surrounds are more sensitive than the fronts and require +3dB over the fronts (at 0dB) in the speaker setup, so perhaps if they were more closely matched in sensitivity I might get a little closer to what I want.

Does the 15 series have a greater adjustment range than +/- 9? Also it would be nice if all speaker levels could be memorized independently for different sound modes. On the 10 series, only the subwoofer level can be set independently for each of the different sound modes.

Steve
                  Hey Steve, Your solution is simple!!. Raise the level of the mains and center channel to be louder than the rears in the speaker level setup (say +7 or so). This will give you the ability to get the surround volume where you want it to be. :T

This is a common problem when your surrounds are not matched to your mains.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"