X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gtopaul
    • Jun 2010

Stackability

I've got very limited space in a small living room with a wall unit which encompasses all my Rotel audio gear, flat screen, porcelain, crystal, etc. Since I've picked up a couple more pieces of Rotel gear I'm worrying that maybe I could start to experience heat related problems because I have everything stacked. I've got the RLC-1040 on the bottom with a 3/4" thick shelf about 1" above it. On that shelf I have my RSX-1055, RB-1070, and RDV-1092 stacked on each other. There's about 1" of air space above the RDV-1092 which is on top. I know the owners book wants 4" above the pieces but I don't have the room. I really only have the system on the length of time it takes to watch a movie and it doesn't appear to be overly warm around the components. I thought maybe about adding a rack but I don't have room for that either. Should I worry about it?
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

The RSX-1055 receiver and the RB-1070 amplifier require the most heat dissipation, but they are also contributing to the RDV-1092 running warmer as well. Capacitors are often one of the first components to fail over time, and their lifespan is determined by the number of hours and the operating temperature.

Since you are out of room, I would consider one or two small quiet whisper fans to exhaust some heat. If the wall unit is enclosed on the back I would have the fans in the back with airflow toward the front.

The 4" of clearance is based on free air cooling, so a little fan forced air cooling should compensate for the reduced physical clearance.

Steve

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Middle Atlantic has some nice units called "Comp-Cools" It's a flat fan that blows out the side. Comes with a thermostat for auto on/off and you can get them in 1 or 3 fan packages.

Stick them on the hottest spot and blow out the front or back.

Comment

• gtopaul
        • Jun 2010

Good idea, I'll give a fan a shot and see how it does. I like the one with the built in thermostat.

Thanks!

Paul

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"