New to Rotel and after purchasing advice - which amp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M&B
    • Mar 2010

New to Rotel and after purchasing advice - which amp?

My husband and I are making the first big audio purchase of our lives and we've pretty much decided on going with Rotel. We were all set to buy the 1575 & 1570 to go with some beautiful B&W CM9's. But talking with more people has only made us confused and today a sales guy tried to scare us of class D's all together and steered us back towards the 1582 and 1550. Aside from the obvious cost benefit, he sites lack of power in the D amp for the CM9s and a better overall sound from the A/B system. Unfortunately he hates the D amps so much he no longer stocks them and we can't compare for ourselves. There doesn't seem to be anyone in Perth that does. They will order in for purchase though!

We were hoping someone here might be able to clarify the issue for us and we'll continue to try to get to listen for ourselves. We've tried to read around the issues and the overall gist seems to come down to - personal preference?
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by M&B
    We've tried to read around the issues and the overall gist seems to come down to - personal preference?
    That's pretty much it. I switched from Rotel's RMB-1075 to the newer RMB-1085, which is Class D, and I actually prefer (ever so slightly) the Class D. (My decision was driven primarily by the size of the amp for the available space I had.)

So, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I wasn't able to hear mine before purchase either, but I had enough experience with Rotel to trust that it would sound good. I wasn't disappointed.
    Brad

Comment

• M&B
      • Mar 2010

What about a digital set up?

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask -

If we're a family of digital music owners with mac's, apple TV and airport express - should that have pushed us towards the class D (it did). We were going to add a digital converter?

Comment

• MickeyVee
        • Jun 2009

Having owned both traditional class a/b Rotel (1067) and now the new 15 series (1560 & 1572), I have to say that I much prefer the 15 seried class D amps.
        As far as power goes, I'm driving Martin Logan speakers and the amps perform admirably. The ML's are difficult to drive and can bring lesser amps to their knees.

As far as Apple/Airport, etc, this does not make any difference with the amp choice. In fact, my main source is a MacMini running iTunes (all music ripped down in Apple Lossless) feeding a PS Audio DL III Dac. It sounds pretty amazing. Do yourself a favour and research external DAC's/

I would stay with your original choice.. I've auditioned the CM9's and they're pretty amazing.
        Good luck!
        Martin Logan Vista, Vignette, Grotto i, B&W M-1 ~ Wireless iTunes to new AppleTV & Oppo BDP-83 > PS Audio DLIII DAC > Rotel RSX-1560 ~

Comment

• Frank Helmling
          • May 2009

Hello M&B,

Nobody can answer your question because there's simply no wrong or right...! It's a matter of preference. The ROTEL class D stuff sounds wonderfully clean and crisp. But you have to consider that the CM9 is known for being not "too blown" or "small" in bass (not meant in a bad manner), combined with the 1575 though, it could, depending on your personal taste, be too much of a good thing and You could perhaps identify the sound as being to "lean"... .
          Greetz from Monnem (Mannheim)

Frank

Comment

• mvdveek
            • Mar 2009

Having both the 1570 the 1575 and CM9 speakers I can tell you that power will not be an issue. Its a good combo. The only thing I will notice from time to time is that the high may be a tiny bit sharp and I would not mind the mids to be tiny bit warmer.
            You could give it the term frank helmling does, that is can sometimes be a bit lean.
            I think that would improve the overal emotional impact of the music.
            But this can also be a room issue. I tend to solve it with a kimber 8vs speakerwire.
            This does not say I'm not happy with my set, cause I am.

Comment

• WelshOne
              • Jan 2009

I use 1570 and 1575 with 803D, HTM2D and 805S, which are notoriously difficult to drive.

I am 100% happy and the amp will power these speakers to deafening levels if you so wish...........

I have also heard the CM9 with the 1582 and 1570 and it sounded lovely.

I think either will be a great system.

And just to clarify, I am a fan of class D!

Comment

• SkyDover
                • Feb 2010

To Class D or Class A/B

It's really going to ball down to personal choice. You can't go wrong with either. I've had both. I had Rotel Class D (RB-1092) and have Rotel RB-1090 (Class A/B). I had both on the same setup and speakers. Going between the two for a few months listening and studying, I much preferred the Class A/B.
                Why? Because it has a much fuller well rounded and airier sound stage with a smoother presentation of music and more separation. Class D sounds more flat and horizontal in comparison, less rounded and full, not as smooth, but slightly more sharp.

It all depends on how you like the music presentation to be, for me it's Class A/B all the way. If I only had Class D, it would sound good but I would miss the way the Class A/B sounds! Good Luck!

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

I started with a RB-1070 (Class A/B) and moved up to the RB-1092 (early Class D)when it was released. I was very much pleased with my upgrade driving my B&W N804 and ASW800. As has been said it will be personal preference. I love how the Class D stays cool and is less physical in size - will fit consoles/cabinets much better that a large Calss A/B, as in the RB-1090 (which is a very fine amp). Enjoy your music and not worry about specs.

Comment

• SkyDover
                    • Feb 2010

The RB-1090 (Class A/B) weighs near 100 pounds. I love the quality of a tank built amp! Makes one feel you are getting true quality money wise, and a very stately looking monster!

The RB-1092 (Class D) weights around 22 pounds if I remember right. So they are much different in size and weight. It takes two strong people to move the RB-1090 (Class A/B) and just one less strong person to move an RB-1092 (Class D). So if weight and size is an issue the Class D amps will fit that bill nicely, that's a very good point to mention!

Just for the record, my RB-1080 and RB-1090 amps have always run cool, even driven hard barely even gets slightly warm but this will depend most likely on the type speakers you run with the amp, and how well you let the amp breathe!

Sound wise, you would be pleased with either. In-fact, if I had not listen to each side by side to figure out what I liked and didn't like between the two, it would have made the choice harder to decide, being that random listens at the dealer is not so easy for me to pickup on without some time, others can quickly sum things up quicker than I.

Comment

• Palforever
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by WelshOne
                      I use 1570 and 1575 with 803D, HTM2D and 805S, which are notoriously difficult to drive.

I am 100% happy and the amp will power these speakers to deafening levels if you so wish...........

I have also heard the CM9 with the 1582 and 1570 and it sounded lovely.

I think either will be a great system.

And just to clarify, I am a fan of class D!

WelshOne,i have the speaker just like yours but it the "S" series.I have been looking at the 1570 and 1575 but i am undecided should i go with the 1582 and 1580 .Just for info i haven`t try both of this combo on my 803S,How the sound like?

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"