X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Contour Controls

Just wondering how many Rotel owners use the contour controls to smooth edginess when listening to overly bright material.And do you leave the settings for all music and ht.Thanks.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi Opus007,

I use the tone controls on my RC-1082 stereo preamp frequently. Over half the CDs and music DVDs that I own benefit from using them. Generally speaking the better the quality of the recording the less likely it is that I will need the tone controls. Unfortunately a lot of the music that I like isn't optimally recorded.

Nigel.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

For music, it's straight bypass (well as close as we can get). For HT listening I actually bumped the HF +1 for movies. To me it sounds really good that way.

-Dan
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• sunshdw
        • Sep 2008

I don't use mine at all on my RC1082. I tried it on a couple cd's but found myself changing it with nearly every cd I was playing.
        Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• Opus007
          • Nov 2007

Reason I was asking as I am a firm believer in leaving the contours alone but lately as I update my cd collection I am finding more and more cd's that need some help.Especially some of the 70's rock like Led Zepplin and such are needing some smoothing out. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Some of my weakest SeeDee's get 'massaged' due to poor recording quality, and like you, I find many of them being from the 'classic rock' genre.

Otherwise, the pre-amp is set on 'by-pass'.

For my vinyl playback, it's 'by-pass' 100%.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
              For my vinyl playback, it's 'by-pass' 100%.
              That's my experience too.

Nigel.

Comment

• Gsrrrrrrrrr
                • Aug 2009

I look at the contour controls primarily as a means of solving system/room issues.

For years (with an RSP 1068 and currently an RSP 1570) I left the contour controls alone, thinking of myself as a purist. I finally decided that the room charcteristics (heavy wall to wall carpeting over a concrete slab) deadened the high end slightly so I turned the HF up to +1. I was surprised that this slight change made a noticeable difference. I also concluded that because I was unable to position my L and R tower speakers as far from the back wall as they could be, the bass was unappealingly boomy. Turning the LF down to -2 eliminated this issue.

I subsequently added a subwoofer, which added additional flexibility. The crossover for both the towers and the sub is 40 hz. The boominess appears to originate over 40 hz so I am able to set the output of the sub to generate solid bass.

Maybe I am just lazy, but I find that there are so many recordings of bad quality (at least with respect to rock/pop etc., not so much for classical and jazz) that it is not worth doing further adjustments on the fly.

Comment

• Opus007
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Gsrrrrrrrrr
                  I look at the contour controls primarily as a means of solving system/room issues.

For years (with an RSP 1068 and currently an RSP 1570) I left the contour controls alone, thinking of myself as a purist. I finally decided that the room charcteristics (heavy wall to wall carpeting over a concrete slab) deadened the high end slightly so I turned the HF up to +1. I was surprised that this slight change made a noticeable difference. I also concluded that because I was unable to position my L and R tower speakers as far from the back wall as they could be, the bass was unappealingly boomy. Turning the LF down to -2 eliminated this issue.

I subsequently added a subwoofer, which added additional flexibility. The crossover for both the towers and the sub is 40 hz. The boominess appears to originate over 40 hz so I am able to set the output of the sub to generate solid bass.

Maybe I am just lazy, but I find that there are so many recordings of bad quality (at least with respect to rock/pop etc., not so much for classical and jazz) that it is not worth doing further adjustments on the fly.
                  I agree 100% about bad recordings.Since I use the bypass mode mostly I do not have access to the contour controls.I have found a different way to adjust to my liking.For smooth jazz,classical and softer music I use the rcd 1072 cdp and for rock I use a older Denon 1500 cdp for rock which has a smoother layed back sound with fuller bass that the Rotel rcd 1072 has to offer.I am actually liking the Denon over the Rotel so much that I may sell it.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"