X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

Rotel RSX 1067 Analog inputs

I'm looking to purchase a nicer BD player to use with my RSX 1067 and was told by a local retailer to get one that has the analog audio outputs to use for better uncompressed audio. This was new info to me as I had assumed optical/coax gave the best audio. But since the RSX 1067 has that capability I'd want to use it if this is preferable.

Can anyone educate me on this? I want to better understand this before I just go out and get any BD player.

Steve
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I'm no expert on this, but....
    The RSX 1067 doesn't decode the new HD formats.
    S/PDIF doesn't have the bandwidth for the HD formats. You need to use HDMI audio in to a processor. S/PDIF will obviously work with AC3 or DTS.
    Some players include INTERNAL decoding of the HD formats, and present the result on analog ports which can/should be fed to a pre/pro with a by-pass mode... this is the legacy solution, adding HD format enjoyment to older processors (with a by-pass mode).
    Some players offer internal TRANSCODING, and can re-encode the HD format to DTS which will work over S/PDIF.
    Yes, its confusing...
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

There isn't an easy answer for this. There are some BD players that have multi-channel analog outputs and built in decoders for all of the HD formats that aren't worth buying and some that are. Most of the lesser expensive ones don't have a very good analog stage and don't have full control over speaker distance, level, or crossover. To get a BD player that has that stuff costs $1500.00 or more in my experience. With the $200.00 - $400.00 players you're better off listening to the lossy codecs and have the RSX-1067 do all the work.

Eric

Comment

• BW4me
        • Nov 2005

Yes this is a bit confusing. First, I'm not sure what S/PDIF means.

The two players I've considered are the pioneer BDP320 and the oppo BD83. I was told that the pioneer would do all the HD decoding for my rotel and send through the analog 7.1, and it will provide for adjustments (but maybe not all controls from what you're saying).

Eric - it sounds like you're saying it's best to just use optical/coax for the audio which will sound better than the analog that looses speaker control.

I actually don't anticipate watching a lot of BD movies, but now that I have an LCD tv I won't a really nice upscaling player and figured I might as well make it a BD player. This will also replace my integra DPS 5.5 which I use for movies and cd's. So I want a unit nice enough for good cd audio as well.

Maybe there are other options? Or just go with the pioneer or oppo and use the optical?

Thanks for the education I'm getting.
        Steve

Comment

• MickeyVee
          • Jun 2009

You can have the best of both worlds, no, all worlds with the Oppo BD83. Using the analog out, you have HD BluRay, SACD, DVD-A, and a great CD player all without upgrading your 1067.
          I had the 1067 and went to the 1560. I would have been just as happy with the Oppo but I was running a PS3 at the time and a Marantz upscaling DVD player. I got the Oppo after the Rotel upgrade.
          Just ensure you get decent interconnects.. FWIW I'm using Signal Cable which are relatively cheap and a great bang for the $.
          Good Luck!
          Martin Logan Vista, Vignette, Grotto i, B&W M-1 ~ Wireless iTunes to new AppleTV & Oppo BDP-83 > PS Audio DLIII DAC > Rotel RSX-1560 ~

Comment

• BW4me
            • Nov 2005

So does the oppo give you full control over speaker settings with the analog out?
            Thanks

Comment

• MickeyVee
              • Jun 2009

yes, I believe so.. download the manual from oppodigital.com
              Martin Logan Vista, Vignette, Grotto i, B&W M-1 ~ Wireless iTunes to new AppleTV & Oppo BDP-83 > PS Audio DLIII DAC > Rotel RSX-1560 ~

Comment

• TommyV
                • Feb 2007

There is a new Denon 2010 that you could also consider.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BW4me
                  Yes this is a bit confusing. First, I'm not sure what S/PDIF means.

The two players I've considered are the pioneer BDP320 and the oppo BD83. I was told that the pioneer would do all the HD decoding for my rotel and send through the analog 7.1, and it will provide for adjustments (but maybe not all controls from what you're saying).

Eric - it sounds like you're saying it's best to just use optical/coax for the audio which will sound better than the analog that looses speaker control.

I actually don't anticipate watching a lot of BD movies, but now that I have an LCD tv I won't a really nice upscaling player and figured I might as well make it a BD player. This will also replace my integra DPS 5.5 which I use for movies and cd's. So I want a unit nice enough for good cd audio as well.

Maybe there are other options? Or just go with the pioneer or oppo and use the optical?

Thanks for the education I'm getting.
                  Steve
                  S/PDIF stands for Sony/Philips Digital InterFace. It's what those two companies came up with for digital audio connections when they were developing the CD.

I don't have first hand experience with the Oppo but from what I've heard the analog outputs are OK. Not great, but not bad either. There are some limitations to the set up from what I've read in the manual. Every pair of speakers have to be the same distance from the listing position. That usually isn't a big deal for the front, but can be for the rears. Also every speaker has to be closer than, or equal to, the front speakers. Again, it depends on the system. Lastly it doesn't have selectable crossover points for the subwoofer. You are stuck with 80Hz. You also need a separate disc for speaker level. There is no built in test tone generator.

The Pioneer is more flexible than the Oppo in that you don't have the same restrictions on speaker distance, you have an adjustable crossover, and internal test tones. If having SACD and DVD-Audio aren't important you might give that one a longer look.

The Denon BDP-2010CI that TommyV brought up is also very good and much more like the Pioneer in set up flexibility. It also has a better scalar than the Pioneer (I have one myself and can attest to that). For me personally, I like the sound quality of the Denon as well. That is a personal taste thing however. The Denon is also more money, so that may take it out of consideration.

You said you will use it more for DVD than BD, but once you start watching BDs and listen to a lossless track, you'll be hooked!! It will be hard to watch DVDs again.

Eric

Comment

• TommyV
                    • Feb 2007

Marantz makes their version of the 2010 called the BD7004. You get a 3 year warranty and I just like Marantz a little better than Denon from experience.

Comment

• Robo1067
                      • Jan 2006

[QUOTE=MickeyVee]You can have the best of both worlds, no, all worlds with the Oppo BD83. Using the analog out, you have HD BluRay, SACD, DVD-A, and a great CD player all without upgrading your 1067.

This is exactly what I am doing with my 1067 and Oppo BD83.

I have the 7.1 analogue outs from the Oppo going to Multi input for Blu Ray, SACD, DVD-A, the Digital co-ax out-put for Std DVD, and the 2 Ch output to CD input, all outputs from the oppo are sending at the same time. I have set them up as different activities on my Harmony remote so each goes to it's respective input/output depending on what I am watching/listening to.
                      I am very happy with the sound, especially the 7.1 soundtrack from the Asian version of Red Cliff 1 & II.

The Oppo allows you to set the speaker distance and levels in pairs only, not independently, but this is fine. Also has Bass managment and the 1067 has a setting for boosting the bass as required on Blu ray analogue.
                      Have a read through the Oppo thread on AVS.

Sorry for the long post, but in short IMHO, the Oppo is a great match with the 1067 using the anologue connections without having to upgrade your AVR :T

Cheers,
                      Rob

Comment

• BW4me
                        • Nov 2005

Thanks for the great feedback. This has been very helpful - just what I was hoping for. I just downloaded manuals to oppo and pioneer and will read through. I'll have to check out the rear surround issue since the distance of mine are farther away than my fronts.

Rob - great to hear from you since you have that set up.

Steve

Comment

• Robo1067
                          • Jan 2006

cheers BW4me,
                          Any one of the above mentioned players with analogue out would sound fantastic without the nead for a new AVR yet. (Yet :B )

Obviously I send video direct to the display via HDMI.

Good luck with your 'quest' 8)
                          Rob

Comment

• BW4me
                            • Nov 2005

In comparing the pioneer BDP-320 and the oppo BDP-83 I noticed the the oppo has an additional set of analog outputs for a CD player. The pioneer does not, so the two front analog outputs would also be used for CD in wanted. I am planning to use new player for CDs as well so I'm just wondering if there is a negative to the pioneer set up.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"