if the power is out, am I still protected?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

if the power is out, am I still protected?

I recently got a RLC-1040. I am just wondering, if the power is out does the unit still protect everything?

My biggest concern is during a thunderstorm the unit is protecting my equipment. But if the power goes out then what?
    Last edited by BWLover; 19 July 2009, 01:07 Sunday.
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • sal1k
    • Jul 2009

From what I understand the RLC 1040 is a surge protector and voltage stabilizer ("line conditioner?"). The 1080 has a battery backup as well.

If the power goes out, your system would in turn also switch off, but it would be protected from any variations in the electrical power.

For power outages, the 1080 and other battery backup systems are more appropriate, as they'll allow you to continue using the system components and shut them down appropriately.

Sal

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BWLover
      I recently got a RLC-1040. I am just wondering, if the power is out does the unit still protect everything?
      The surge protection components are passive and work even when your line conditioner is not powered.

Originally posted by BWLover
      My biggest concern is during a thunderstorm the unit is protecting my equipment. But if the power goes out then what?
      Having surge protection is no 100% guarantee that equipment plugged into it will not be damaged during a thunderstorm. No point-of-use surge protector can guard against a close and large enough lightning strike.

Although surge protection can offer some peace of mind for times when you are asleep or away from home, the best from of protection is to unplug your system during particularly bad weather or when such weather is forecast.

Installing whole-house surge protection can provide an additional level of security, not just for your A/V equipment but for all household electrical appliances.

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

OK. i am asking because last night there was a thunderstorm. i felt better just unplugging the unit. now i have another question. if i unplug the 1040, should i unplug the phone line and coaxial line from the 1040 as well.

Also i know about the 1080 having battery back up but i decided to go with the 1040 as i would really have no need for the battery. And mike from rotel told me the 1040 is the exact same as the 1080 minus the battery. Same performance. Thanks
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

You will have a dilemma in that when you unplug the 1040, you lose the surge protection afforded to the phone and coax lines.

Comment

• BassThatHz
            • Jul 2006

Most power "protection" devices have a clamp level of ~330volts, which is great for massive surges but is still high enough to cause anything connected to them to toast regardless.

You can see an example of a Monster powerbar being roasted here in comparison to a PS Audio Duet which disconnected safely at 130volts
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Once you get into hundreds of thousands of volts, such as a lightning strike, air itself is a conductor of electricity.

Do you really think ANY product will save your stuff, from something like this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkNY5xjy5k 8O

If someone is willing to risk toasting a RLC-1040 with a 220V-variac($100 on ebay); then we can find out exactly how it fairs at low and high voltages.

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

i think i'll just unplug everything during a storm
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• seteven100
                • May 2009

hi

hey i have an RB-1080

can someone explain to me how its got battery back up? what does that mean?

the obvious?

what are the benefits ?

do all 1080s have it?

sometimes i turn everything off at the wall including the 1080 and i just let the amp turn it self on and off when i flip the electricity switch?

is this damaging?

thanks

Comment

• Blindamood
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by seteven100
                  hi

hey i have an RB-1080

can someone explain to me how its got battery back up? what does that mean?

the obvious?

what are the benefits ?

do all 1080s have it?

sometimes i turn everything off at the wall including the 1080 and i just let the amp turn it self on and off when i flip the electricity switch?

is this damaging?

thanks
                  The reference was to the RLC-1080, which is an APC-based power conditioner with battery backup, not the RB-1080 amp.
                  Brad

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

is this damaging?
                    No, the amp does not care how its turned on/off.

Comment

• seteven100
                      • May 2009

thanks guys

Comment

• Nuthed
                        • Jan 2007

is this damaging?

thanks
                        Doubtful that it is damaging to the amp, but I don't think it is a good idea. Most amps have a "stabilization" period upon start-up where the amp is actually in protect mode to protect speakers from turn on thumps. If it still does that you'll be fine.
                        Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                        RB980-BX driving mains
                        Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                        Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                        Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                        SVS PB-12

Comment

• Glen B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2004

The stabilization period commences the instant the soft start/protection circuit receives power. The means by which that power is received does not matter.
                          Last edited by Glen B; 28 July 2009, 23:42 Tuesday.

Comment

• BWLover
                            • Jan 2009

another question. the voltage regulator jumps from 121, 122, 123. is this normal?
                            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                            Playstation 3
                            Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Glen B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jul 2004

What you're seeing are normal variations in the incoming AC line voltage. 121V-123V is within utility company voltage supply range as well as the specified tolerance of your 1040. Your 1040 only kicks in to make corrections when the incoming voltage is outside of normal range.

Comment

• BWLover
                                • Jan 2009

ok cool. i thought it was something like that.

i decided to test my unit. I plugged in a 2 little block heaters into an outlet that i knew was on the same circuit. when i turned 1 heater it dropped to 118v (from 121) with nothing being changed. then i tunred in the second heater and it dropped to 115v and the RLC-1040 kicked in a brought it back to 121v. sound normal?

also, at what point will it trim down excess voltage. for example right now I'm watching tv and it says 124v. how much higher does the voltage need to go for it to trim it down?
                                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                Playstation 3
                                Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Glen B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jul 2004

From the results of your test, it seems that you have your 1040 set on narrow regulation, which is ± 5% of 120V. The unit should kick in when the incoming line voltage falls below 115V or rises above 125V. During your test, the nominal line voltage was 121V. When it dropped to 115V (-5% of 121V) the 1040 kicked in and brought its output back to 121V. I would say its doing its job.
                                  Last edited by Glen B; 04 August 2009, 15:51 Tuesday. Reason: Edited for clarity

Comment

• BWLover
                                    • Jan 2009

awesome. thanks!
                                    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                    Playstation 3
                                    Shaw HD PVR

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"