X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emildev
    • Jul 2009

RMB-1572/5 Question

Hi there,

I currently have a Sony 5300 es amplifier with b&w 683's for fronts, htm61 for center and 602 s3 for rears. I use the front and SB channels to drive the fronts in the so called sony bi-amp config. The 683's are a bit too hungry for my amplifier and im consudering buying 2 rotel power amplifiers, a RMB-1575 and RMB-1572. I want to use the 75 to drive the HI's on the 683's and the other 3 channels to drive the center and surround channels. I will then use the RMB-1572 to drive the LO on the 683's. This should give me the best of HT and stereo music, any suggestions on a better configuration wrt power amplifier configurations? Please dont slam the Sony or B&W's, they are here to stay :-).

Kind regards, Emil
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by emildev
    Hi there,

I currently have a Sony 5300 es amplifier with b&w 683's for fronts, htm61 for center and 602 s3 for rears. I use the front and SB channels to drive the fronts in the so called sony bi-amp config. The 683's are a bit too hungry for my amplifier and im consudering buying 2 rotel power amplifiers, a RMB-1575 and RMB-1572. I want to use the 75 to drive the HI's on the 683's and the other 3 channels to drive the center and surround channels. I will then use the RMB-1572 to drive the LO on the 683's. This should give me the best of HT and stereo music, any suggestions on a better configuration wrt power amplifier configurations? Please dont slam the Sony or B&W's, they are here to stay :-).

Kind regards, Emil
    I will not slam the Sony but I will tell you this.I bought a 4300ES when they came out.It was totally awesome for home theater but was the worst I ever heard for 2 channel music even in bypass mode.It is currently sitting in its box and I am wondering what to do with it as by selling it I can not get anywhere near the 1299.00 usd a paid for it.With that said, the first thing I did was bought a RMB 1075 (120watts x 5 ) and used the preouts on the Sony.This really added more sound stage and opened up my speakers.See my signature as I also have the 683's.I tried bi amping my speakers and found no advantage to this and no real improvement.Just so you know the Sony 5300ES is rated at 120 watts x 7 but in all actuality it is more like 70-80watts true rms.The Rmb -1075 has enough juice to power my B&W's without missing a beat.More power is always better but for now the 1075 does everything I need.I have no experience with the 1500 series amps and receivers but have given them a listen and they are very nice and you would not be disappointed.I personally am not a fan of the 1500 series look.I do like the look of the 10 series.Personal preference.I replaced my Sony with a RSP-1069 as I got a good deal and it does everything I need.I thought the Sony was excellent for HT , well the Rotel is better and awesome for music.I am sure someone else will chime in here that has more experience with the 1500 series.There are lots of alternatives out there, you just have to choose which one os right for you.

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Emil,

First of all, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of very good information in here.

You have a nice system. Your 600 series speakers are very good performers, but do require some power (as you have noticed). You are also considering two very nice amps to improve your system. Either of these will make a BIG improvement in your system. Here are some observations.

1. IMO, The 1575 is a bit of overkill for the center and surrounds. It will work very well, but unless you plan to upgrade your center and surround speakers down the line, this seems like a bit much. The RMB-1565 might be the solution here.

2. I have tried running power hungry tower speakers with a large multichannel amp (like the 1575), bi-amping, and with a large stereo amp (like the 1752). I've done it several times, with the same general results. A very good amp like the 1575 will drive all your speakers very well. They will sound very good.

3. Bi-amping MAY improve your performace vs just using an amp like the 1575. However, givent the cost of extra cables and extra amp channels, I've found that it didn't yield the bang for the buck improvement I wanted to see.

4. If you are going to bi-amp, I also would put the best amp on the HF inputs of the 683's. You want the most refined amp to drive your midrange and highs. You will notice more improvement doing this. So in your scenario, it would be the 1572 on top and the 1575 on the bottom. However, the best solution, in my opinion, is the next point.

5. I have found a good, powerfull stereo amp is better that the above two solutions. The extra refinement (better parts and circuits) plus no sharing of the power supply of a stereo amp allows it to work on the 2 speakers its driving. I absolutely think the 1572 would be very good for the 683's all by itself. Also, if you ever plan to go to 7.1, using a stereo amp on the mains would allow the 5 channel amp to drive the center and all the surrounds later.

6. My recommendation would be the 1572 for the mains and a 1565 for everything else.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• emildev
        • Jul 2009

Thank you Opus007 and Htsteve for the respective great replies,

My main concern is music with the current setup and based on what you have said I think I will go for the 1572 to start off with and then add a 1565 to improve the surround at a later stage. My 5300 has a 2ch analog direct option which bypassess all of the digital processing, only the volume works in this mode. I use the analog outs from my BD player connected to the SACD/CD input on the amp, atleast this way there is onlu 1 DAC in the picture.

Adding the 1572 should improve my stereo to the 683's and free up some of the available power of the amp for the rest!

Thank you again for the great advise.

Kind regards, Emil

Comment

• Opus007
          • Nov 2007

I think htsteves recommendation of adding a dedicated 2 channel amp like the 1572 for your mains is on the money.You can not go wrong there and at some point I will be adding a 2 channel amp to my mains.The 5300es will do fine for running your other channels.250 watts x 2 is a lot of power for the 683's and am sure they will enjoy the extra power.Enjoy.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Emil,

Upon further reflection, I have what I believe is an even better solution for your entire system. The list price, I believe, of the RMB-1575 is $2799. For $1999, you can get the Rotel RSX-1550 receiver. 100 wpc X5 plus all of the Rotel processing and very good 2 channel. The receiver can power the center and surroud speakers. The RSX-1550 plus an RMB-1572 would be outstanding. The sonic signature would be the same all the way around. System integration and synergy is a very important goal. If you are seriously considering both the 1572 and 1575, this solution is better and less expensive. Can't ask for more than that.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• B&W_Group_Fan
              • Sep 2008

htsteve, is the RSX-1550 plus the RB-1572 the proper match or perhaps something else?

I believe the RSX-1550 contains class A/B amps whereas the RB-1572 is class D? I’m guessing, though not 100% sure, that sonically the matches to the RSX-1550 are the RB-1552 and RB-1582.

Perhaps Kevin D or hifiguymi can clarify (I think they are both dealers for the product line)

I don't know, I'm not claiming to be spot on with this and certainly respect your thoughts.

BTW, I am a very happy owner of an RSX-1560.
              HT
              Rotel RSX-1560
              B&W Signature 7NT (x6) | B&W FPM6 (center) | Velodyne MiniVee
              Panasonic TH-46PZ800U | Panasonic DMP-BD55
              Apple TV

Kitchen / Dining
              Rotel RB-1510 (RSX-1560 providing source)
              B&W CCM 65 (x4)

Control
              URC MX-880 w/ MRF-350

Comment

• emildev
                • Jul 2009

Hi Htsteve,

The only reason why I dont want to replace my sony equipment is due to the ease of use of all of the sony components working together. This is important to make sure my wife can operate the system. As it is today we only use the BD remote, press the power on for the tv, the tv turns on, powers the amplifier up and switches to the tv input. When powering the BD up the amplifier switches to the BD input and on power off returns to TV. Turning off the TV also turns off all of the components.

Adding a power amp with a 12v trigger would not compromise this, changing the receiver will certainly do. I have scheduled a listening session for tommorow afternoon with my local Rotel dealer to try the 1572 on a pair of 683's if all sounds well it should be at home soon :-D.

Im also considering to by the 1565 and build a relay circuit that will work with a 12v trigger to switch the front speakers between the 1572 and the 1565, for example the defaul would be the 1565 and when I select the Multi Channel input it would cut the 683's to the 1572.

Kind regards, Emil

Comment

• Opus007
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by emildev
                  Hi Htsteve,

The only reason why I dont want to replace my sony equipment is due to the ease of use of all of the sony components working together. This is important to make sure my wife can operate the system. As it is today we only use the BD remote, press the power on for the tv, the tv turns on, powers the amplifier up and switches to the tv input. When powering the BD up the amplifier switches to the BD input and on power off returns to TV. Turning off the TV also turns off all of the components.

Adding a power amp with a 12v trigger would not compromise this, changing the receiver will certainly do. I have scheduled a listening session for tommorow afternoon with my local Rotel dealer to try the 1572 on a pair of 683's if all sounds well it should be at home soon :-D.

Im also considering to by the 1565 and build a relay circuit that will work with a 12v trigger to switch the front speakers between the 1572 and the 1565, for example the defaul would be the 1565 and when I select the Multi Channel input it would cut the 683's to the 1572.

Kind regards, Emil
                  I think you will be very pleased with the 683's.They are wonderful speakers at a budget price.If the only reason you are keeping the sony is due to a remote turning everything on and off well you could get a remote that does it all with the touch of a button.I have a osiris remote that turns everything on with a touch of a button and will even tune to my favorite tv station or play a cd.You set up macros that tells the remote what to turn on and in what order.If my toilet had a remote sensor it would flush it for me too.

Comment

• emildev
                    • Jul 2009

Hi All,

Seems like the biggest mystery on the Internet, does anybody know what iceamp modules are used in the 1500 series, preferably by channel:

RMB-1562
                    L - ?
                    R - ?

RMB-1565
                    L - ?
                    R - ?
                    C - ?
                    LS - ?
                    RS - ?

RMB-1572
                    L - ?
                    R - ?

RMB-1575
                    L - ?
                    R - ?
                    C - ?
                    LS - ?
                    RS - ?

Kind regards, Emil

PS - Im off to go and test drive them and will give my feedback later today :-D:-D

Comment

• emildev
                      • Jul 2009

Ok some feedback :-)

1550 on its own with 1520 cd player, analog bypass and a pair of 683's - not good
                      same config, added 1562 - not good
                      same config, added 1070 - ok
                      same config, added 1092 - brilliant!!

still waitng for a 1572 to be delivered so that I can test it

I wanted to get a feel for how it would sound at home so hence the HT amp, all that is left now is to compare the 1092 to the 1572 ad then offcourse part with some money :-)

Kind regards, Emil

Comment

• emildev
                        • Jul 2009

Hello all,

I cant seem to find any reference to the class D modules used in the 15 series power amplifiers, even called rotel and all they could say was that the 1092 used the 1000ASP modules from B&O. Some of the forms hint towards B&O being used but I guess this will stay a mystery untill such time that somebody can convince a dealer for a sneak preview inside :-)

Kind regards, Emil

Comment

• mjb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

There are a few posts detailing which modules have been used, perhaps you can find them with a search.
                          - Mike

Main System:
                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• emildev
                            • Jul 2009

Me again,

Have consolidated information and pictures in another post:

Seems that the 1572 only mactches the SL SR and C of the 1575, the L and R uses the ASP modules.

Thank you for all the assistance, will come and give feedback as soon as I have purchased :-D.

Kind regards, Emil

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"