My last bassmanagement issue, hopefully.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • focus
    • Mar 2006

My last bassmanagement issue, hopefully.

I have a RSX 1067, is it correct that if i put the sub lowpass filter, Master/Andvanced, att 80 hz and put a high pass filter on my surround or center speaker att 120 hz, everything, from the surround or the center between 80 to 120 hz will be missing? h:

And if i put the sub filter att 120 hz and still split my fronts att 80 hz, the receiver will double the 80 to 120 hz? :x

Is there any way to work around it?

And if i'm correct; what were Rotel thinking? Is it fixed in the new series? I can't see the benefit of playing the same range twice, at the same time..

What i would like is a low and a highpass filter for each channel, otherwise i can't see benefit of separate crossovers for each channel pair, can you?
  • Nuthed
    • Jan 2007

As far as your first example, the 80 to 120hz info won't be missing entirely. It will be played at diminishing levels dependent on the crossover slopes.

It may sound great slightly attenuated in that range. That particular range can expirirence a lot of room gain and that is, I believe, where "boomy" sound comes from.
    Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
    RB980-BX driving mains
    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
    Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
    Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
    SVS PB-12

Comment

• focus
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Nuthed
      As far as your first example, the 80 to 120hz info won't be missing entirely. It will be played at diminishing levels dependent on the crossover slopes.

It may sound great slightly attenuated in that range. That particular range can expirirence a lot of room gain and that is, I believe, where "boomy" sound comes from.
      I hate boomy rooms, but i rather get an EQ for that.

I think it's very strange thinking from Rotel.

Comment

• Bostonears
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by focus
        I have a RSX 1067, is it correct that if i put the sub lowpass filter, Master/Andvanced, att 80 hz and put a high pass filter on my surround or center speaker att 120 hz, everything, from the surround or the center between 80 to 120 hz will be missing? h:
        I believe the frequencies between 80 and 120 Hz from the center and surround speakers would be redirected to the front main speakers if they are set to large.

Comment

• focus
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Bostonears
          I believe the frequencies between 80 and 120 Hz from the center and surround speakers would be redirected to the front main speakers if they are set to large.
          Yes you're right, but only when set to large. So i better "upgrade" to speaker that handle 20 hz well

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Not strange at all, makes sense to me. Given your example, the sound between the sub and rears would be lowest at 100hz, but no sound would be missing.

The slope is 12db per octave. So the sound will be 12db lower at 60hz if you cross it over a 120hz. At 80hz where the sub starts having full volume, the rears are only 8db lower in volume. This would be noticeable, but the sub is on the same downward slope going up the range.

If one were to have a 36db or 48db per octave crossover, it would very noticeable as a sound passed from one speaker to another. The 12db slope ensure a good blending of the speakers.

The per speaker adjustment allows you to accommodate for room boosts (separate points) or room cuts (overlap points).

If you happen to have rear speaker that can't handle 80-120hz and there isn't a room boost you're trying to take care of, you're not going to be missing much as you'll just be 8db down before the sub takes over.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Bostonears
              • Mar 2004

Yes you're right, but only when set to large. So i better "upgrade" to speaker that handle 20 hz well
              No speaker upgrade needed. If you set the subwoofer output to "Max" (in addition to setting the front speakers to "Large"), the bass from the center and surround channels would be redirected both places, including, I believe, the gap from 80 to 120 Hz. Of course, you wouldn't want to double up the bass if your front speakers really can produce output below 80 Hz, but otherwise, it should work well.

Comment

• focus
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                Not strange at all, makes sense to me. Given your example, the sound between the sub and rears would be lowest at 100hz, but no sound would be missing.

The slope is 12db per octave. So the sound will be 12db lower at 60hz if you cross it over a 120hz. At 80hz where the sub starts having full volume, the rears are only 8db lower in volume. This would be noticeable, but the sub is on the same downward slope going up the range.

If one were to have a 36db or 48db per octave crossover, it would very noticeable as a sound passed from one speaker to another. The 12db slope ensure a good blending of the speakers.

The per speaker adjustment allows you to accommodate for room boosts (separate points) or room cuts (overlap points).

If you happen to have rear speaker that can't handle 80-120hz and there isn't a room boost you're trying to take care of, you're not going to be missing much as you'll just be 8db down before the sub takes over.

Kevin D.
                Thank you Kevin! I still can't see why receiver have separate crossover settings for the channel pair if you're not able to redirect it to the sub, and don't want the sub to play double bass (in my case)in the fronts.
                Originally posted by Bostonears
                No speaker upgrade needed. If you set the subwoofer output to "Max" (in addition to setting the front speakers to "Large"), the bass from the center and surround channels would be redirected both places, including, I believe, the gap from 80 to 120 Hz. Of course, you wouldn't want to double up the bass if your front speakers really can produce output below 80 Hz, but otherwise, it should work well.
                Thank you for your input! I thought the whole point of splitting the signal in to two was to relieve the front system and let a speaker, made for it (subwoofer) play the stuff under 80 hz.

Can someone explain to me why there is one crossover setting, called master, for the sub and one in advanced settings?

I hope you anderstand my bad english... ops:

Comment

• lotones
                  • Apr 2006

btw, if you're using the sub out to the LFE input on your sub, you'll want to turn the crossover on your sub all the way up to 120hz, or as high as it will go. On some subs it doesn't make a difference if you're using the LFE input, but otherwise it will make sure your RSX 1067 is handing all the crossing over.

Thank you Kevin! I still can't see why receiver have separate crossover settings for the channel pair if you're not able to redirect it to the sub, and don't want the sub to play double bass (in my case)in the fronts.

Thank you for your input! I thought the whole point of splitting the signal in to two was to relieve the front system and let a speaker, made for it (subwoofer) play the stuff under 80 hz.

Can someone explain to me why there is one crossover setting, called master, for the sub and one in advanced settings?

I hope you anderstand my bad english... ops:
                  In my cased this comes in handy because my front speakers (electrostatics) are much different than my center and surrounds. I run all speakers on "small" (lets the sub handle the real bass), cross the front speakers over at 60hz in the "advanced" menu (any higher defeats the advantage of electrostats, imho...), and the rest at 80hz. This helps blend the different speaker types. I think this is a great feature: the more flexibility the better.

---

While we're talking bass management, one thing I would like is the ability to dedicate the subwoofers to either the front or back set of speakers. I upgraded my sub recently and decided to try using my old sub to help with the rear speaker imaging. It works great. I have the rear sub set to barely audible, so that the bigger/better sub gives most of the tonality. But the second sub not only helped the rear speaker imaging, it adds incredible depth to the "soundstage" and the imaging of the whole system. I'm pretty stoked.

But it took forever to tweak the sub levels so the second sub didn't add too much boominess, because it's an identical signal. Two subs at full volume is overkill for my space (since deep bass is omni-directional I've never understood why anyone would want/need stereo subwoofers anyway, unless you're moving lots of air). It would be great if my 1068 split the sub signals between the front and back speakers. It would have made it easier to set up, and I think it would increase localization and the soundstage depth even more.

Just something for the "wish list".

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

I think Parasound has something similar. Four outputs that are completely assignable. IE, 50% surrounds, 50% LFE... etc.. I think a lot of people used it for height channels, 25% front left, 25% front right, 25% surround left, & 25% surround right.

In your situation it might be better to run the rear sub high-level if your sub supports it. Drop the rear crossover as low as it will go and then use the sub's crossover to split the signal.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lotones
                      • Apr 2006

I thought of that Kevin, then ran into a quirk - apparently if you set the fronts to "small" you can't select "large" for the surrounds (according to the manual). So if I understand that correctly, the rear sub wouldn't get a full range signal to crossover to the surrounds (the electrostats don't handle bass well enough for my tastes to run them "large").

So did I catch that right - the Parasound has 4 bass outputs? jeez..

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"